ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

National Insurance No.

Archived UK Tier 1 (General) points system forum. This route no longer exists.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

Rog
Member of Standing

National Insurance No.

Post by Rog » Wed Sep 29, 2004 3:42 pm

I am working for 6 months in the UK on a temperory NI no. Whenever I have tried to phone for an appointment for a permanent NI no 99 % i get the line busy or if the phone goes through I get a recorded message, "The lines are busy and we can't take your call". I am then unable to obtain an appointment. Is there any other method to obtain NI no? If I continue to work with temp. NI no. is there anything wrong ? Request guidance from seniors.

Chess
Diamond Member

Post by Chess » Wed Sep 29, 2004 3:49 pm

Physically turn up at your local DWP office.

No harm in using a Temp No. but make sure your employer is making the necessary payments. Better to get a permanent NI though
Where there is a will there is a way.

hk_007

Post by hk_007 » Wed Sep 29, 2004 3:54 pm

You could try going down to the Social Services office in your area and see if you can make an appointment. Most probably you will be asked to call the number ':(' If you do not have your permanent NI number, then you will most probably be paying a higher amount of income tax and NI contribution. This can be reclaimed later ':D' So it is in your own interest to get one as soon as possible.

f2k
Diamond Member

Post by f2k » Wed Sep 29, 2004 7:03 pm

makesure the number you are trying is the correct one, otherwise call or better still visit the local jobcentre and they could help you out. 6 months is really a long time

Londonite
Newly Registered

Post by Londonite » Thu Sep 30, 2004 1:33 pm

Rog - had the very same problem. Kept calling over the course of three months. Each time either no one answered or someone took down information and promised someone would call me back.

Ended up going down there in person on a Saturday Morning. They told me I could't just walk in without an appointment. However, I refused to leave unless they helped me, so they did. Just ask to speak to one of the supervisors so you can explain how long you have been at it and, they will set it all up while you are there.

Only took 10 minutes. Bring your passport, proof of address and temporaty NI number.

Good luck - Londonite

Rog
Member of Standing

Post by Rog » Fri Oct 01, 2004 10:56 am

Dear Friends

Thank you for your kind guidance and replies. I have to just go on trying as u have suggested. However the process for getting an NI no. is very similar to third world country government bureaucracies, not what one would have imagined in UK.

MWazir
Diamond Member

Post by MWazir » Fri Oct 01, 2004 11:40 am

I thought the process was quite simple actually. I did not have any issues when getting an appoitment for my NI number as in the case of 'Londonite'

Contact your nearest job centre or social security office and book an appointment. If you are in London there are quite a few around and any of them should be able to sort it out. If one of them is busy then just call another one close by to work or home.

Here is the web link
http://www.jobcentreplus.gov.uk/cms.asp ... own=london

Regards

hk_007

Post by hk_007 » Fri Oct 01, 2004 2:33 pm

Rog wrote:Dear Friends

However the process for getting an NI no. is very similar to third world country government bureaucracies, not what one would have imagined in UK.
Many of these third world countries were British governed and have modelled their system on the same bureaucratic lines. Hence no surprises ':roll:'

madankumars
Newly Registered

Post by madankumars » Fri Oct 01, 2004 3:41 pm

i think londonite's case is a bit exceptional.

the normal procedure is to call the nearest (to your home) jobcentreplus office and tell them that you need a new NI number.

they will take your name and phone number.

after a few days( cant say how many days, but it took a month for me ), someone from their office will call you to fix an appointment.

the centre of the appointment may not be the same that you called. you go there with your job offer letter, proof of identity and proof of residence.

they will finish the formalities, and then your NI number card will be posted to you after 6 weeks.

Papafaith
Member of Standing

Post by Papafaith » Fri Oct 01, 2004 4:41 pm

Rog i was in the same situation. iI went to the NI office asked for a complaint form, filled it. In three days i was called for interview, am through with that now.
An eye for an eye will make the whole world blind.