ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

ILR - Evidence of Cohabitation

Only for queries regarding Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR). Please use the EU Settlement Scheme forum for queries about settled status under Appendix EU

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

shabs100
Newly Registered
Pakistan

ILR - Evidence of Cohabitation

Post by shabs100 » Wed Oct 16, 2013 10:55 am

Dear All,

I am currently in the process of applying for ILR for my wife whose 2-year Visa is coming to term in a couple of weeks. I have a few concerns with the evidence of co-habitation section of the ILR form SET(M).

Our situation is such that we have been living with relatives (my Aunt) during the last 2 years of her Visa. My address prior to this was (since birth) at my uncles.

In an oversight on my part, I did not transfer any of my letters to my aunts address as my uncles house was very local and we were visiting there everyday. Although I have a few letters coming to the new address, it is still not enough to meet the required correspondence. All my wife's letter on the other hand are all delivered to the new address. We have no joint letters.

It was only until I began to fill in the SET(M) from that I have realised that I have made a mistake in not transferring any letters over.

Can someone please advise what I can do in this instance? Can my application still be accepted?

Thanks very much in advance for your help.

Amber
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by Amber » Wed Oct 16, 2013 11:13 am

What evidence do you have in the same address over the last 2 years?
**this forum is not intended to be a substitute for professional advice**
Click here to send me a PM regarding an offensive post. Do NOT PM me for immigration advice.

shabs100
Newly Registered
Pakistan

Post by shabs100 » Wed Oct 16, 2013 11:28 am

D4109125 wrote:What evidence do you have in the same address over the last 2 years?
New development:

I have just contact my bank and got my address transferred over. I have also requested statements be sent out to me covering sporadic intervals over the last 2 years.

Will this be enough?

aa786
Newly Registered

Post by aa786 » Wed Oct 16, 2013 5:26 pm

Hi everyone. I have a simmilar issue.I live at a different address and mine and my wifes letters come to parents house. As before i was married all my letters have registered there for last 15 years.
My wife will apply in December 2014 so we still have time. Will this be a big issue for us or will they accept it. Thanks

Amber
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by Amber » Wed Oct 16, 2013 5:31 pm

Bank statements should suffice but try and include 2 other sources as well even if only for the 8 months period.
Click here to send me a PM regarding an offensive post. Do NOT PM me for immigration advice.

shabs100
Newly Registered
Pakistan

Post by shabs100 » Wed Oct 16, 2013 6:10 pm

Thanks D4109125. The only other source I have is the Child benefit letter from HM Revenue for our son. Is it worth trying to get my payslips transferred to the new address also?

@aa786, contact your bank and get your address changed. Then request for them to send you statements from the past year showing your new address.

Amber
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by Amber » Wed Oct 16, 2013 6:15 pm

Yes use the HMRC letter and get one more proof another recent letter from a different source to the address should suffice.

shabs100
Newly Registered
Pakistan

Post by shabs100 » Wed Oct 16, 2013 6:28 pm

D4109125 wrote:Yes use the HMRC letter and get one more proof another recent letter from a different source to the address should suffice.
Much appreciated.

t_india

Post by t_india » Thu Oct 17, 2013 2:43 pm

Hello,

I have entered UK in feb 2009, and my wife in mar 2009; 2 weeks later to me. we have been living here eversince.

I would be eligible for ILR by jan 2014, and would use SET(o) for me and my dependants at the same time. With my current understanding it appears it is enough to furnish just 2 years proofs. but need confirmation.

if it is for just 2 years, then the period i would have to show the cohabitation proofs would be from jan-2012 and jan-2014.
I have the following proof for cohabitation during the above period.

Jan-2012 - Bank statements individually for me and my wife
feb-2012 - her maternity certificate letter, and her maternity certificate was issued up to Oct-2013
Sep-2012 - rental agreement,
from then on i have multiple docs to prove my wife's residency.

But as you could see between feb-2012, and sep-2012, i dont have any proof for my wife.
Will this be ok; if not what can i provide for this period; will letter from Landlord be ok (old landlord was a private landlord, and not an agent)

please can my clarifcation be answered.

t_india

Post by t_india » Thu Oct 17, 2013 4:19 pm

t_india wrote:Hello,

I have entered UK in feb 2009, and my wife in mar 2009; 2 weeks later to me. we have been living here eversince.

I would be eligible for ILR by jan 2014, and would use SET(o) for me and my dependants at the same time. With my current understanding it appears it is enough to furnish just 2 years proofs. but need confirmation.

if it is for just 2 years, then the period i would have to show the cohabitation proofs would be from jan-2012 and jan-2014.
I have the following proof for cohabitation during the above period.

Jan-2012 - Bank statements individually for me and my wife
feb-2012 - her maternity certificate letter, and her maternity certificate was issued up to Oct-2013
Sep-2012 - rental agreement,
from then on i have multiple docs to prove my wife's residency.

But as you could see between feb-2012, and sep-2012, i dont have any proof for my wife.
Will this be ok; if not what can i provide for this period; will letter from Landlord be ok (old landlord was a private landlord, and not an agent)

please can my clarifcation be answered.
Amber your opinion counts; please can you :-)

Amber
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by Amber » Thu Oct 17, 2013 5:43 pm

You shouldn't have any problems. However, why did you not have bank statements for that period?

t_india

Post by t_india » Thu Oct 17, 2013 6:03 pm

D4109125 wrote:You shouldn't have any problems. However, why did you not have bank statements for that period?
as always thanks for your prompt response Amber

I have opened account for my wife in Jan 2012 hence have the first letter in Jan 2012. the bank has opTed me in for online statements. I was not bothered about it that time, as we had lot of letters from nhs, as my wife was pregnant.

only recently when I was checking for the docs, I came to understand thatall those letters we're kept along with her case file, which had been taken by the hospital.

do you mean I don't even have to get any letter from previous landlord or lshould I have to get that

Amber
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by Amber » Thu Oct 17, 2013 7:37 pm

I would request a letter back (your GP can do this) for May/June 2012.

t_india

Post by t_india » Thu Oct 17, 2013 8:06 pm

I did check with them and came to understand that they don't provide reference letters. is there a specific name for the letter. just making sure I an missing something.

worst case if Gp is not ready to give any letter what can be my option

t_india

Post by t_india » Thu Oct 17, 2013 8:12 pm

t_india wrote:I did check with them and came to understand that they don't provide reference letters. is there a specific name for the letter. just making sure I an missing something.

worst case if Gp is not ready to give any letter what can be my option
I forgot, we did travel to our home country in May 2012 on holiday and came back together. can this serve as a proof

Amber
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by Amber » Thu Oct 17, 2013 8:30 pm

Tickets addressed to each other should suffice, yes.

t_india

Post by t_india » Thu Oct 17, 2013 8:50 pm

D4109125 wrote:Tickets addressed to each other should suffice, yes.
I should have been clear. sorry for that.
I have the e ticket with passenger details and the passports stamped by immigration officers on same dates.

I don't have letters from the travel agent addressing my wife.
is this ok

Amber
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by Amber » Thu Oct 17, 2013 8:53 pm

Really, you should stick to getting a letter address to you jointly or one each, contact the bank and see if they can send a statement for May/June 2012. If you are stuck then the tickets may help.

t_india

Post by t_india » Thu Oct 17, 2013 9:02 pm

landlordperioddated
D4109125 wrote:Really, you should stick to getting a letter address to you jointly or one each, contact the bank and see if they can send a statement for May/June 2012. If you are stuck then the tickets may help.
when the bank issues statement for that period, would it not be current dated, rather than in the paSt.
also the statement would come to our current address, however we were in a different address that period.

is that ok.
letter from private Land Lord confirming our residence period together.
will that suffice

Amber
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by Amber » Thu Oct 17, 2013 9:30 pm

The bank send statements past dated. Yes a landlord letter would help, you should be ok nonetheless.

t_india

Post by t_india » Thu Oct 17, 2013 9:40 pm

D4109125 wrote:The bank send statements past dated. Yes a landlord letter would help, you should be ok nonetheless.

thanks do much Amber. will try to get both bank statement and landlord letter. thanks again.

vineetraut
Newly Registered

Post by vineetraut » Fri Oct 18, 2013 3:09 pm

A Slightly Different question (still about same topic) -- The letters that we have, all have post marriage name for my spouse, whereas her passport is in her pre-marriage name (Marriage certificate original is available). Would that be any problem?

Amber
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by Amber » Fri Oct 18, 2013 3:17 pm

No, but you should bring the passport in line with the rest.

vineetraut
Newly Registered

Post by vineetraut » Fri Oct 18, 2013 4:53 pm

Thanks Amber. I was thinking about avoiding the change of passport for my spouse as of now, to avoid further complications . If it is not a problem for proving Co-habitation, It would be better to stick with our current passports.

t_india

Post by t_india » Mon Oct 21, 2013 11:07 am

t_india wrote:
D4109125 wrote:The bank send statements past dated. Yes a landlord letter would help, you should be ok nonetheless.

thanks do much Amber. will try to get both bank statement and landlord letter. thanks again.

Hi Amber,

I have got the letter from landlord, and statement from the bank as you have suggested.
however, the statement from the bank has the issue date in Oct 2013, rather than may / jun 2012.
Any tips, on what else i can get as prrof of cohabitation?
One of my friend suggeted to have the experion credit report;
is that a valid proof that UKBA would accept?
if it is valid, would suggest to get that now, or nearer my application?