ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Clarification about qualifications and intended business

Only for UK Tier 1 (Entrepreneur) points system. This route is now closed to new applicants.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

Ephesians3:20
Newly Registered

Clarification about qualifications and intended business

Post by Ephesians3:20 » Fri Oct 18, 2013 1:55 am

Hi everyone,

Please I would like to say thank you for the great work being done here.

Please I will be applying for the Tier 1 (Entrepreneur Visa) in January 2014,and I will like to know the following.

1. Must my business be related to my qualifications or education background?
I have a first degree in Architecture and a Masters Degree in Built Environment studies from the UK. However the business I am doing is Copy-writing/Technical Writing, which is not related to my educational background

2. I work mostly from home, and meet with my clients in their offices. Do I have to collect a letter from my landlord giving me permission to work from home? My home address is also listed as my company office/address with HMRC and Company house.

Thank you all so much for your anticipated help.

alxbux
Newly Registered

Re: Clarification about qualifications and intended business

Post by alxbux » Sat Oct 19, 2013 1:30 pm

I think you can show a consultancy firm. On the said ground basis you will be rejected, I am afraid.

Olasunkanmi
Diamond Member

Post by Olasunkanmi » Sat Oct 19, 2013 4:54 pm

@ Ephesians3:20, I think the most important thing is for you to confirm if ''Copy-writing/Technical Writing'' is at or above NQF level 4 and if that's the case then you can use it for your application.

Another point worth mentioning is that your qualification does not necessarily have to be the job role you should be doing, but you should be able to prove that you have experience in the job role you intend to take up in your business.

So if you are already working as ''Copy-writing/Technical Writing'' and you have clients, then get all your payment invoices, bank statement e.t.c. as evidence that you already start trading in your business.
The key to success is knowledge and hardwork, and to have faith.

Ephesians3:20
Newly Registered

Post by Ephesians3:20 » Thu Oct 24, 2013 10:04 pm

Olasunkanmi wrote:@ Ephesians3:20, I think the most important thing is for you to confirm if ''Copy-writing/Technical Writing'' is at or above NQF level 4 and if that's the case then you can use it for your application.

Another point worth mentioning is that your qualification does not necessarily have to be the job role you should be doing, but you should be able to prove that you have experience in the job role you intend to take up in your business.

So if you are already working as ''Copy-writing/Technical Writing'' and you have clients, then get all your payment invoices, bank statement e.t.c. as evidence that you already start trading in your business.

Thanks for your reply @Olasunkanmi

Yes, I have been doing business and I have clients, and I have an invoices, the issue is that I have not have business bank statements as my clients have been paying me in my personal account. Infact I do not have a busines account yet and I am just planning to get one. How do you think this affects the whole picture? Thanks

Olasunkanmi
Diamond Member

Post by Olasunkanmi » Fri Oct 25, 2013 7:17 pm

I think that you should get a business bank statement and try to get few transactions through it if possible.

But your clients contract, invoices and payment evidence should be ok as evidence of trading if you don't have a business account as you can still work as self-employed thereby getting payment through personal account.
The key to success is knowledge and hardwork, and to have faith.

babaty2k02
Member of Standing
Nigeria

Post by babaty2k02 » Fri Oct 25, 2013 7:48 pm

Also, in addition what what others have said, your business plan is a must have as your educational background, as you said, is not related to your business. Assuming they are related, you do not really need a business plan, your CV will be enough to show you know what you're doing.
Landlord consent is advisable, just to be on a safe side as some have been refused based on no consent from landlord.
Good luck.