ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

British Citizenship after spouse and student visa?

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

nkzp100
Newly Registered

British Citizenship after spouse and student visa?

Post by nkzp100 » Sat Oct 09, 2010 11:46 pm

Hi There,
Could you please advise that does time spent on student visa in the UK is valid and does counts towards the residential qualifying period for applying citizenship after marriage visa. I was granted ILR in September 2010 on marriage visa basis and have spend the previous 2 years on spouse visa and the 2 years before that on student visa.

So, I was in the uk in 2003-07 on student visa and then on spouse visa from Spetember 2008. Does that mean that i have spent last 3 years towards residential qualifying period (1 year included on student visa) and can apply for British Citizenship straight away now?

Many Thanks and Regards

geriatrix
United Kingdom

Post by geriatrix » Sun Oct 10, 2010 12:45 pm

You may include time spent in the UK as a student in the 3 years residential qualifying period. But do note that you cannot be absent from UK for more than 270 days in the 3 years.

regards

nkzp100
Newly Registered

Post by nkzp100 » Sun Oct 10, 2010 12:51 pm

thanks for the reply. that means i can apply for naturalisation any time now (I fulfill all the other requirements) and is their any other website or home office website to confim that i can include student visa in the residential qualifying period.
Many Thanks for your help

vinny

Post by vinny » Sun Oct 10, 2010 1:10 pm

This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

nkzp100
Newly Registered

Post by nkzp100 » Sun Oct 10, 2010 1:28 pm

Thanks. So, the time spent on student visa in the UK is valid and does counts towards the residential qualifying period for applying naturalisation on marriage basis?

vinny

Post by vinny » Mon Oct 11, 2010 2:21 am

This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

alisohrab
Newly Registered

naturalisation/student visa

Post by alisohrab » Sun Feb 24, 2013 10:19 pm

dear all, i am a little bit confused.
having read all of this comments i am not convinced yet. Could you please help me with my query?

I came to the uk on may 2006 on student visa.
married on Feb 2011
ILR (SETM) granted on Feb 2013.

It says here and on home offices website that I can apply for naturalisation if i am spouse/partner of a british citizen if i have been in this country more than 3 years. it doesn't specify the type of visa. is the period that i have stayed here with student visa counted?

I never left the uk for the duration of more than 2 weeks.

Amber
Mood:
United Kingdom

Re: naturalisation/student visa

Post by Amber » Sun Feb 24, 2013 10:30 pm

alisohrab wrote:dear all, i am a little bit confused.
having read all of this comments i am not convinced yet. Could you please help me with my query?

I came to the uk on may 2006 on student visa.
married on Feb 2011
ILR (SETM) granted on Feb 2013.

It says here and on home offices website that I can apply for naturalisation if i am spouse/partner of a british citizen if i have been in this country more than 3 years. it doesn't specify the type of visa. is the period that i have stayed here with student visa counted?

I never left the uk for the duration of more than 2 weeks.
The key here is that any legal residency in the UK counts towards the 3 year test so providing your residency was legal no matter the visa you satisfy the test and providing you meet the other requirements married/vivil partnership to bc etc.... Then you can apply now form AN

Alimanu
Newly Registered

Post by Alimanu » Mon Oct 21, 2013 9:01 am

Just a quick question, I have applied for naturalisation through 5 years residency route... don't know if it is going to be successful, or my student visa years going to count.

I came to the uk on a student visa in 2006, time line is as follows:

Student visa: 2006 - 2008
Post Study Work Visa: 2008 - 2010
Spouse Visa: May 2010 - 2012 (My spouse only have ILR)
ILR: September 2012 - Till date

I applied for naturalisation in September 2013, also my wife only have ILR. She doesn't want to loss her country nationality.

Please could you help me answer this question to put my mind at rest.

Amber
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by Amber » Mon Oct 21, 2013 9:04 am

Alimanu it's usually wise to check eligibility before making an application. You seem to be ok providing you were physically present in the UK 5 years before the Home Office received your application and meet the other standard requirements.
**this forum is not intended to be a substitute for professional advice**
Click here to send me a PM regarding an offensive post. Do NOT PM me for immigration advice.

Alimanu
Newly Registered

Post by Alimanu » Mon Oct 21, 2013 9:08 am

D4109125 wrote:Alimanu it's usually wise to check eligibility before making an application. You seem to be ok providing you were physically present in the UK 5 years before the Home Office received your application and meet the other standard requirements.
I did check, but since I haven't received any approval yet. My mind starts playing tricks on me. The last 5 years, I have only left the country for 2 days.

Thanks for your quick response

Alimanu
Newly Registered

Post by Alimanu » Sat Oct 26, 2013 1:36 pm

D4109125 wrote:Alimanu it's usually wise to check eligibility before making an application. You seem to be ok providing you were physically present in the UK 5 years before the Home Office received your application and meet the other standard requirements.
Thanks Amber for you help, got my approval today.

Amber
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by Amber » Sat Oct 26, 2013 5:41 pm

Congratulations.
**this forum is not intended to be a substitute for professional advice**
Click here to send me a PM regarding an offensive post. Do NOT PM me for immigration advice.