ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

The period before a citizenship ceremony

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

creampuff
Newly Registered

The period before a citizenship ceremony

Post by creampuff » Mon Oct 21, 2013 10:56 pm

This really is a hypothetical question. It does not apply to me or anyone I know.

I'm wondering what happens in the period between when the Home Office approves an application for naturalisation as a British Citizen and the ceremony when one becomes a British Citizen, if the person commits an offence which would have disqualified them had it happened prior to submitting a citizenship application.

Eg someone has their citizenship application approved then gets busted driving without insurance. Or busted stealing a frozen chicken from Tesco etc etc.

VR

You will have to face the law as a British Citizen would

Post by VR » Tue Oct 22, 2013 7:29 am

Folks,

This is an interesting question!

However having said that if the offence was major like a murder, molestation or bank robbery or something which puts the public at risk, they could withdraw the citizenship and initiate deportation proceedings.

I am interested in finding out if there have been cases like this or is it just brave posturing by the home office ''Citizenship is not a privilege, it has to be earned'' and what happens when say the OP has surrendered his original passport? How do they deal with such cases?

Any comments welcome!
cheers
vr

Ayyubi72
- thin ice -

Post by Ayyubi72 » Tue Oct 22, 2013 1:07 pm

HO will not consider deprivation, when the deprivation will render a person stateless.

So, for eg, once an Indian Citizen become naturalised, he loses Indian Citizenship automatically, even if they have not surrendered their Indian passport. So, now HO will not deprive him of British Citizenship because this will lead to person become stateless.

Ayyubi72
- thin ice -

Re: The period before a citizenship ceremony

Post by Ayyubi72 » Tue Oct 22, 2013 1:09 pm

creampuff wrote:This really is a hypothetical question. It does not apply to me or anyone I know.

I'm wondering what happens in the period between when the Home Office approves an application for naturalisation as a British Citizen and the ceremony when one becomes a British Citizen, if the person commits an offence which would have disqualified them had it happened prior to submitting a citizenship application.

Eg someone has their citizenship application approved then gets busted driving without insurance. Or busted stealing a frozen chicken from Tesco etc etc.
Examples of the offences you have mentioned will not create problems between approval and ceremony.

neoseal
Member of Standing

Post by neoseal » Tue Oct 22, 2013 5:41 pm

It is very very very rare HO will deprive someone of citizenship, as Ayyubi mentioned it will render a person stateless. Further, if someone commits crime here, they would like the trial to be held here and punish here as well.

Amber
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by Amber » Tue Oct 22, 2013 6:11 pm

If they found out before the ceremony took place, they would attempt to stop the ceremony, if they managed this, the application would be put on hold until the criminal case is decided. It'd be difficult to imagine such a scenario.
**this forum is not intended to be a substitute for professional advice**
Click here to send me a PM regarding an offensive post. Do NOT PM me for immigration advice.

VR

thanks all for the responses

Post by VR » Tue Oct 22, 2013 6:25 pm

So the moral of the story is do not celebrate until the fat lady finally sings!!

Ayyubi72
- thin ice -

Post by Ayyubi72 » Tue Oct 22, 2013 7:32 pm

I already said that in another post.

"It ain't over until the fat lady sings"