ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Adopting a child while on HSMP

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

Corn
Newly Registered

Adopting a child while on HSMP

Post by Corn » Mon Jun 04, 2007 4:37 pm

We have been here for 3 yrs and want to adopt a child from our native country. Are there any rules regarding adoption of a child from one's native country while one is in the UK on HSMP ? I have tried looking for information resources but they pertain to people holding british passports. Would appreciate if anyone with any information or experience can share.

John
United Kingdom

Post by John » Mon Jun 04, 2007 8:20 pm

The adoption rules in the UK are extremely strict, and just because you adopt a child under the rules of your country, well don't assume that that is the end of the story.

This whole issue is complicated. It would assist greatly for you to get meaningful answers if you say in which country you would hope to adopt.

Also, do you have a particular child in mind? And are you currently related to that child, if so, what is the relationship?
John

Corn
Newly Registered

Post by Corn » Tue Jun 05, 2007 2:40 pm

Hi John,
Thanks for your comments.

We are Indians and hope to adopt from India.

I have been searching for information on the procedure and (as you rightly pointed) realizing that this is quite a long drawn and complex procedure. I am also trying to get in touch with my local council who will be my procedural contact.

My biggest concern is the reference in some of the official documentation regarding visa status of prospective parents to be settled without any limitations i.e ILR. If that is the case it could be a very disappointing outcome for us as we have been here for 3 yrs under the 1+3+1. The 3 yrs visa coming up for renewal in Oct 08. This would mean we won't be able to initiate things before end 2009 AND the whole procedure takes at least 1yr....

Hoping to get more clarity from the local council contact who is rarely ever found on her seat !!

Thanks.

Corn
Newly Registered

Post by Corn » Tue Jun 05, 2007 2:42 pm

in response to your other Q....no we do not have a specific child in mind.

John
United Kingdom

Post by John » Tue Jun 05, 2007 4:27 pm

As well as the problems you already list I suspect you will be horrified by the costs levied by your local authority for the approval process.

I believe it does vary from one area to another but as an example, here in Birmingham I think the cost is something like £3500.

Suggestions on how to proceed include adopting an "Indian child" who is here in the UK, and indeed prior to adopting, consider fostering. I believe Local Authorities are always on the look-out for foster parents, for which you need to be approved .... at their expense .... and sometimes a foster arrangement can turn into an adoption if the natural parents are not able to resume responsibility.
John

stedman

Post by stedman » Tue Jun 05, 2007 5:30 pm

I have friends who adopted 2 babies from India whilst on permit fee training. They are both Indian citizens. They had to go to India to sort it all out but once they had legally adopted the children in India, they had no problem bringing them here.

Corn
Newly Registered

Post by Corn » Tue Jun 05, 2007 10:05 pm

John,
The costs apparently are worse in Manchester. I have been quoted a horrifying figure of £5200 for the initial home study report which is the first step of the process. But that is just 1 problem.

Even if I am ready to cough up the cost I apparently cannot go ahead till i am close to 6 months away from my ILR as the dfes will not give final approval of my adoption status before my ILR is approved. Of course if I do not get an ILR all the money goes down the drain. And what with retrospective changes being the norm of the day I have no way of knowing what will be expected from me when my ILR comes up...the HO could come up with something like ' Immigrants to have 2 children each to qualify for ILR' :D

Stedman: I am really surprised by the case cited by you. If they managed to adopt during permit free training then there maybe hope for me too. Is it possible for you to me give more details on your friends. Which part of UK were they at the time they adopted. Would it be possible to get in touch with them via email ? We are currently in a quandry and although I don't forsee a problem in getting extension with the new rules, we may have to decide to go back after all if staying here means we have to put our plans on hold till 2010.

I have been promised by a voluntary agency worker that she will confirm the ILR rule from an expert and get back to me. Will update as soon as I get any info.

Also, now that you have mentioned £3500 in b'gham, I shall shop around for cheaper VAAs...

Thanks all for your comments.

Corn
Newly Registered

Post by Corn » Tue Jun 05, 2007 10:10 pm

John,
As per my understanding, it is not possible to adopt a child in-country unless at least one of us holds a british passport. Have'nt managed to explore fostering rules though...

Thanks.

doc123
Newly Registered

Post by doc123 » Sat Jun 09, 2007 1:51 pm

I was told by the local authority,one is not able to adopt even from India while on permit free training. We were told that we have to get approved first which was a 3000-4000 pounds affair and could take upto 2 years and then wait for a baby. As we wanted to adopt from India, the whole cost was going over 10000 pounds. If we went to India, adopted a baby and came here, it would count as smuggling a baby in(!!!!!), and had to be done as per rules for the baby to be brought here. We just did not have that kind of money and put our plans on hold

Corn
Newly Registered

Post by Corn » Mon Jun 11, 2007 9:33 am

Doc123,
Really sad to hear that you had to put your plans on hold. We are facing the same decision and are not happy about it at all. I can't understand why one would need to be a permanent resident to adopt from one's native country. Surely if we do not get extension we would need to go back and as the baby is also there we would take it up from there. After all it is us who are investing most heavily in terms of time and money. But currently one cannot start the process without ILR.

Your information however tallies with mine. It can be a 2 yr affair but people have done it in less than that. And it does cost somewhere in the environs of £10,000. Of course its cheaper and quicker in India and if the ILR 4-5 JR fails we may have to rethink a lot of things.