ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Does your degree meet the B1 requirement?

Only for queries regarding Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR). Please use the EU Settlement Scheme forum for queries about settled status under Appendix EU

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

fslateef

Post by fslateef » Wed Oct 23, 2013 12:04 pm

D4109125 wrote:As I've stated at the beginning of this thread. A NARIC statement of comparability and proof it was taught in English.
So Guru we have to give English Exam (like FCE) ? As UKNARIC statement of comparability is fine for my degree but English comparability I got from them is _NOT_ C1 level.

Although I have letter from university that degree taught in English (dated in 2008). This won't help ?

Amber
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by Amber » Wed Oct 23, 2013 12:06 pm

The letter from the University (on official paper) and the NARIC statement of comparability will suffice the new additional requirement.
**this forum is not intended to be a substitute for professional advice**
Click here to send me a PM regarding an offensive post. Do NOT PM me for immigration advice.

fslateef

Post by fslateef » Wed Oct 23, 2013 12:09 pm

D4109125 wrote:The letter from the University (on official paper) and the NARIC statement of comparability will suffice the new additional requirement.
This is what my understanding is. But what ILR.dot.dot.dot wrote about information provided by UKBA according to it we need UKNARIC for English too.

And letter from university outside of UK is not sufficient.

Confused :(

Amber
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by Amber » Wed Oct 23, 2013 12:11 pm

What I have wrote appears correct as per:
Page 62 wrote:v) the applicant has obtained an academic qualification (not a professional
or vocational qualification) which is deemed by UK NARIC to meet
the recognised standard of a Bachelor's or Master's degree or PhD in
the UK, and provides the specified evidence to show:
(1) he has the qualification, and
(2) that the qualification was taught or researched in English;
Click here to send me a PM regarding an offensive post. Do NOT PM me for immigration advice.

fslateef

Post by fslateef » Wed Oct 23, 2013 12:30 pm

D4109125 wrote:What I have wrote appears correct as per:
Page 62 wrote:v) the applicant has obtained an academic qualification (not a professional
or vocational qualification) which is deemed by UK NARIC to meet
the recognised standard of a Bachelor's or Master's degree or PhD in
the UK, and provides the specified evidence to show:
(1) he has the qualification, and
(2) that the qualification was taught or researched in English;
Right, but this isn't confirms that university letter from non-English speaking country is acceptable.

I am really worried about myself. I am on Tier-1 General and needs to apply for ILR in March 2014.

Amber
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by Amber » Wed Oct 23, 2013 12:38 pm

By March 2014 we'll know for sure.

fslateef

Post by fslateef » Wed Oct 23, 2013 12:42 pm

D4109125 wrote:By March 2014 we'll know for sure.
The only issue I have is:

here in Cardiff FCE exams takes place twice or thrice in a year and registration for test in Dec is now closed and next one is in June 2014 after my ILR application :(

That's why I am confused that if I need to take that then I have to try to get registered for exam in December.

ILR.dot.dot.dot

Post by ILR.dot.dot.dot » Wed Oct 23, 2013 4:58 pm

I have just spoken with the supervisor at the UKBA and I have been again confirmed that 2 letters from NARIC are needed. One for comparability and another one for English language requirement even if you have previously used the degree to get tier-1 visa.
I have also pointed out that NARIC does not provide letter for B1 but C1 to which I have been told that they were not aware of this fact but if this is the case then English language assessment test needs to be written to qualify.

I am not taking any risk and getting both the letters from NARIC.
Just to add - NARIC will not provide English language letter unless you have obtained a certificate from the university confirming the same.

Thanks

fslateef

Post by fslateef » Wed Oct 23, 2013 5:01 pm

ILR.dot.dot.dot wrote:I have just spoken with the supervisor at the UKBA and I have been again confirmed that 2 letters from NARIC are needed. One for comparability and another one for English language requirement even if you have previously used the degree to get tier-1 visa.
I have also pointed out that NARIC does not provide letter for B1 but C1 to which I have been told that they were not aware of this fact but if this is the case then English language assessment test needs to be written to qualify.

Just to add - NARIC will not provide English language letter unless you have obtained a certificate from the university confirming the same.

Thanks
Keep it mind that if you got degree from some Asian country like Pakistan, India, Bangladesh then you won't get C1 level certification thus UK NARIC English assessment will be useless. I did that couple of months back and got _not_ at C1 level letter from them.

I just registered for my FCE exam for December to be on a safe side.

ILR.dot.dot.dot

Post by ILR.dot.dot.dot » Wed Oct 23, 2013 5:28 pm

fslateef wrote:
ILR.dot.dot.dot wrote:I have just spoken with the supervisor at the UKBA and I have been again confirmed that 2 letters from NARIC are needed. One for comparability and another one for English language requirement even if you have previously used the degree to get tier-1 visa.

Thanks
Keep it mind that if you got degree from some Asian country like Pakistan, India, Bangladesh then you won't get C1 level certification thus UK NARIC English assessment will be useless. I did that couple of months back and got _not_ at C1 level letter from them.

I just registered for my FCE exam for December to be on a safe side.
Where all this exam can be written? I have an appointment on 18th Nov for ILR so need to write asap. I am ready to travel anywhere in UK to write the exam.
Please help.

Thanks

fslateef

Post by fslateef » Wed Oct 23, 2013 5:44 pm

ILR.dot.dot.dot wrote: Where all this exam can be written? I have an appointment on 18th Nov for ILR so need to write asap. I am ready to travel anywhere in UK to write the exam.
Please help.

Thanks
Just look at ESOL Cambridge website for exam centres. Then you have to contact that centre for availability and registration.

Although I believe the quickest (more tests in a year/month as compare to ESOL) is to do IELTS.

ILR.dot.dot.dot

Post by ILR.dot.dot.dot » Thu Oct 24, 2013 8:34 am

I had a look and taking both the letters from NARIC will cost around £100-£120 including express delivery and writing the B1 exam will cost just £125 so writing the exam will be a wise decision as NARIC is only providing C1 assessment which may come negative too.

Could some one who has taken B1 confirm how difficult or easy this exam is? I know its a subjective term but still a fair idea will be really helpful.

Can anyone confirm if LIUK and B1 exams are enough for this new rule (taking effect from 28th Oct 13) or I still need NARIC comparability letter for my degree?

Thanks

Amber
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by Amber » Thu Oct 24, 2013 8:56 am

So long as the test is speaking and listening qualification in English at B1 CEFR or higher and approved.

Kirtay

Post by Kirtay » Thu Oct 24, 2013 11:03 am

ILR.dot.dot.dot wrote:I had a look and taking both the letters from NARIC will cost around £100-£120 including express delivery and writing the B1 exam will cost just £125 so writing the exam will be a wise decision as NARIC is only providing C1 assessment which may come negative too.

Could some one who has taken B1 confirm how difficult or easy this exam is? I know its a subjective term but still a fair idea will be really helpful.

Can anyone confirm if LIUK and B1 exams are enough for this new rule (taking effect from 28th Oct 13) or I still need NARIC comparability letter for my degree?
I will suggest to check Trinity ESOL exams http://www.trinitycollege.co.uk/site/?id=2094 as they are very simple and includes only 10 min conversation to get B1. I believe if you are averagely good in English, no need to book any course or high level exams like IELTS. You can get required B1 by just 10 min coversation too!

They have many exam centres and many dates each month. The certificate can be obtain in 2 weeks after exam.

Also I am not sure why UKBA is demanding NARIC English Language Assessment when they can only provide C1 not required B1.

I have applied Statement of Compatibility for my wife's degree and she have certificate stating "Medium of study is English". I was hoping that should suffice but now after your comments, I am not sure what else I can do or I will also book her exam for Trinity ESOL.

john353

Post by john353 » Thu Oct 24, 2013 11:30 am

Hope the smoke clears very soon regarding B1 requirement satisfaction with regards to degrees or english test. UKBA is to be blamed for all this confusion....they impose rules before considering the practicalities involved. The rules change from october 28... and we are still unclear about the exact documents to prove that a degree is taught in English to B1 level. Imagine the situation of those applying in Nov/Dec 2013...I myself have ILR with family coming up in Feb 2014.

Kirtay

Post by Kirtay » Thu Oct 24, 2013 12:21 pm

john353 wrote:Imagine the situation of those applying in Nov/Dec 2013...I myself have ILR with family coming up in Feb 2014.
That's the problem. We are getting eligible from 5 Nov but due to this changes I am taking the appointment after 15 to get the idea or get necessary certificates!

ILR.dot.dot.dot

Post by ILR.dot.dot.dot » Thu Oct 24, 2013 12:37 pm

Kirtay wrote:
ILR.dot.dot.dot wrote:I had a look and taking both the letters from NARIC will cost around £100-£120 including express delivery and writing the B1 exam will cost just £125 so writing the exam will be a wise decision as NARIC is only providing C1 assessment which may come negative too.

I will suggest to check Trinity ESOL exams http://www.trinitycollege.co.uk/site/?id=2094 as they are very simple and includes only 10 min conversation to get B1. I believe if you are averagely good in English, no need to book any course or high level exams like IELTS. You can get required B1 by just 10 min coversation too!

They have many exam centres and many dates each month. The certificate can be obtain in 2 weeks after exam.

Also I am not sure why UKBA is demanding NARIC English Language Assessment when they can only provide C1 not required B1.

I have applied Statement of Compatibility for my wife's degree and she have certificate stating "Medium of study is English". I was hoping that should suffice but now after your comments, I am not sure what else I can do or I will also book her exam for Trinity ESOL.

Thanks Kirtay.

It's really confusing. I again called UKBA this morning and been told that the degree comparability letter from NARIC and a letter from university for English medium should be enough. When I stated that I got a different information yesterday then I have been told that she will double check and call me. Still waiting for the call. The UKBA website clearly suggests that the letter from university and NARIC comparability letter should be sufficient still customer service team is giving different information. Check out the "Degrees taught in English" section in below link:
http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/sitec ... hip/kol-uk

Amber
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by Amber » Thu Oct 24, 2013 12:38 pm

I believe what I have written is correct.

Kirtay

Post by Kirtay » Thu Oct 24, 2013 1:04 pm

D4109125 wrote:I believe what I have written is correct.
Never questioned your suggestion!

However it was a little shock when ILR dot dot dot mentioned the Home Office reply that they will not support University letter or mark sheet but only UK NARIC English Assessment! Especially when you are applying in 3 weeks!

Amber
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by Amber » Fri Oct 25, 2013 12:12 pm

Please see the OP.

ILR.dot.dot.dot

Post by ILR.dot.dot.dot » Fri Oct 25, 2013 1:35 pm

To make the matter worst, I got the call from UKBA yesterday evening and have been told that the letter from the awarding body will be accepted for English requirement along with a letter of comparability from NARIC.

Since there is so much confusion so I am not taking any chance and have booked english test for me and my wife with EnglishExamCentre Trinity for B1.

Thanks

ILR.dot.dot.dot

Re: Does your degree meet the B1 requirement?

Post by ILR.dot.dot.dot » Fri Oct 25, 2013 1:41 pm

D4109125 wrote:The new AN form that has been released states that NARIC must have confirmed that the degree was taught or researched in English.

However, NARIC cannot confirm that a overseas Masters or PhD was taught in English, they only confirm a bachelors degree. Therefore, I have removed the requirements until it has been confirmed by the Home Office.
Hi Amber,

What is AN form and where can I see it?

Thanks

Amber
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by Amber » Fri Oct 25, 2013 1:43 pm

Here. Yes a NARIC statement of comparability and letter should suffice but the AN form would suggest not. Therefore, I await confirmation.

ILR.dot.dot.dot

Post by ILR.dot.dot.dot » Fri Oct 25, 2013 1:58 pm

D4109125 wrote:Here. Yes a NARIC statement of comparability and letter should suffice but the AN form would suggest not. Therefore, I await confirmation.
Thanks Amber.

I think for all those who are applying in near future writing the exam is safe bet as NARIC will not provide B1 assessment and university letter is not accepted (or may be accepted but not clear yet). And as others have suggested, UK NARIC will not deem any degree taught in Asian countries for C1.

Amber
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by Amber » Fri Oct 25, 2013 2:00 pm

It doesn't matter if they deem it as C1 or not. As even if they do not, they will still confirm the degree was taught in English under the English Language Assessment. However, they will not confirm whether a Masters or PhD was taught in English only Bachelors, which is what I have the issue with.