ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Citizenship ceremony: group or individual

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

creampuff
Newly Registered

Citizenship ceremony: group or individual

Post by creampuff » Mon Oct 21, 2013 9:50 pm

After 12 years on and off in the UK, I got a letter from the Home Office last week saying my application for British Citizenship has been approved :D

Now on to the citizenship ceremony: anyone on here done one? I can have an individual ceremony this week, but I have to pay almost £200. Or the next group ceremony is in December.

It's been such a long time for me to get British Citizenship, I'm paranoid something could go wrong if I wait until December. OTOH the group ceremony might have a good atmosphere and be fun, plus it is free.

The individual ceremony will be all over in 15 mins, but then I could bring 2 x young kids and not have to worry about them having a spaz attack in a group ceremony, easy to take photos etc.... and it will be this week, so not much can go wrong now.....

Any thoughts?

neoseal
Member of Standing

Post by neoseal » Mon Oct 21, 2013 10:03 pm

You just have to weigh the benefits, the price £200. If you are not in a hurry to go anywhere and can do with current ILR then wait.

I understand that after having to wait 12 years and spending thousands of pounds, another £200 is almost nothing.

Ayyubi72
- thin ice -

Post by Ayyubi72 » Tue Oct 22, 2013 1:35 pm

I always tell people to be patient.

But in this situation, I would say, if you can afford £200, then go for it, get that certificate in your hands.

As they say, "It ain't over until the fat lady sings".

So, you are not a citizen until you have that piece of paper. I would say, go and get it. :)

Jaeger
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by Jaeger » Tue Oct 22, 2013 2:57 pm

I would just go for it. Another £200 is not a lot if you consider how much applications for ILR and naturalisation cost

Better to get it over and done with. What if someone ends up in hospital and cannot attend a ceremony within 90 days? It's only hypothetical but you know, accidents and misfortunes happen. Naturalisation is an important event so everything should be done to make it as smooth as possible.

creampuff
Newly Registered

Post by creampuff » Wed Oct 23, 2013 5:39 pm

THE FAT LADY HAS SUNG

:D

Ayyubi72
- thin ice -

Post by Ayyubi72 » Wed Oct 23, 2013 5:48 pm

Well done mate. You did the right thing.

Congrats. :D

neoseal
Member of Standing

Post by neoseal » Wed Oct 23, 2013 5:54 pm

Congratulations creampuff...I am sure you will have a good night sleep or may be not... :wink:

creampuff
Newly Registered

Post by creampuff » Wed Oct 23, 2013 8:23 pm

Thanks; the person who officiated the morning ceremony said now I was British I could go out and get a fish and chips..... and you know what after that I had a fish and chips for lunch ;)

Amber
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by Amber » Wed Oct 23, 2013 8:24 pm

Oh that's sweet, congratulations.
**this forum is not intended to be a substitute for professional advice**
Click here to send me a PM regarding an offensive post. Do NOT PM me for immigration advice.