ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

can Indian citizen with ILR apply for EEA family permit

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

sreeni

can Indian citizen with ILR apply for EEA family permit

Post by sreeni » Sun Jun 10, 2007 3:28 pm

hi all,
I have a query my Indian wife has recently got her ILR, me and our 13mth old son are british. I have long wanted to go on trips to other places in europe such as france/spain etc , this was not a problem before but now i have to think about family too, the only snag is I dont need a visa but im thinking my wife will need one even though she has ILR as she has an indian passport is this correct?

can we apply for an EEA family permit I seem to recall something that this means she can go with me whereever I go in europe, does this mean a visa would then not be needed as she would be travelling with me? if she would still need a visa then I wont bother applying for it , otherwise I would apply for it as it is free i think, but can we still apply for it even though she has ILR now?

Rozen
Diamond Member

Re: can Indian citizen with ILR apply for EEA family permit

Post by Rozen » Sun Jun 10, 2007 3:37 pm

sreeni wrote:can we apply for an EEA family permit I seem to recall something that this means she can go with me whereever I go in europe, does this mean a visa would then not be needed as she would be travelling with me?
Not if you're British, and have never exercised your treaty rights in another EU country outside Great Britain, you can't! That's the only way you can use the EEA route, if you're British and living in the UK.

The other option for her would probably be to get her a British passport.

sakura
Diamond Member

Post by sakura » Sun Jun 10, 2007 6:19 pm

You need to apply for a visa at the embassy of whatever country you intend to visit. The EEA permits are used if you want to LIVE in another EU country, not just visit.

Tourist visas given to spouses of British Citizens are free of charge. I don't know the whole process, but do a search for tourist visas on this forum as I know only a few weeks ago someone else had the same query.

sreeni

Post by sreeni » Thu Jun 14, 2007 6:55 pm

sakura wrote:Tourist visas given to spouses of British Citizens are free of charge.
:lol:
I didnt realise that , I was thinking that I would have to pay every time we needed a visa , hence the query. in that case i wont bother with the family permit.

BTW does the family permit only work for one european country or does it allow you to move around? or is a new one needed for each country?

JAJ
Australia

Post by JAJ » Thu Jun 14, 2007 11:36 pm

sreeni wrote: BTW does the family permit only work for one european country or does it allow you to move around? or is a new one needed for each country?
Just one country, as far as I understand. You only get the freedom to "move around" if you get citizenship.