ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

KoLL qualification

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

The Boss

KoLL qualification

Post by The Boss » Thu Oct 24, 2013 4:00 pm

I am eligible to apply for naturalisation from 15/11/2013...have met all standard requirements; but not sure whether I have met the new rule, KoLL which is effective from 28/10/2013. So please clarify
1) Life in UK test - was passed in 2011. So not required to be taken again for citizenship application
2) Knowledge of Language - I have a MBA qualification taught in English, from India. To meet this requirement, do I need to get MBA qualification accredited with UK NARIC?
During Tier(I)General and ILR,I have used same qualification to prove the English language requirement and have an evidence from my university that the degree is taught is English. Is that not sufficient meet the KoLL requirement?

Thanks

Damanisshallo
Respected Guru

Re: KoLL qualification

Post by Damanisshallo » Thu Oct 24, 2013 4:34 pm

The Boss wrote:I am eligible to apply for naturalisation from 15/11/2013...have met all standard requirements; but not sure whether I have met the new rule, KoLL which is effective from 28/10/2013. So please clarify
1) Life in UK test - was passed in 2011. So not required to be taken again for citizenship application
LITUK is for life time.
2) Knowledge of Language - I have a MBA qualification taught in English, from India. To meet this requirement, do I need to get MBA qualification accredited with UK NARIC?
During Tier(I)General and ILR,I have used same qualification to prove the English language requirement and have an evidence from my university that the degree is taught is English. Is that not sufficient meet the KoLL requirement?
Should be sufficient

Thanks
Statutory Warning:Members are advised to make thorough inquiries before acting upon any description displayed on my behalf.
Skydrives, Templates

teekay125

Re: KoLL qualification

Post by teekay125 » Thu Oct 24, 2013 10:51 pm

Damanisshallo wrote:
The Boss wrote:I am eligible to apply for naturalisation from 15/11/2013...have met all standard requirements; but not sure whether I have met the new rule, KoLL which is effective from 28/10/2013. So please clarify
LITUK is for life time.
Should be sufficient

Thanks
Hi Damanisshallo, could you please also comment on 'To meet this requirement, do I need to get MBA qualification accredited with UK NARIC?' or as I understand there is standard list of universities / qualification by NARIC? Thanks

krthk.s

Post by krthk.s » Fri Oct 25, 2013 1:48 pm

I spoke to my council for a NCS appointment and they insisted that you must get a UK NARIC certificate as my degree was from India.

I explained to them that this degree is in points calculator and UKBA previously accepted this for Tier 1 and ILR.

They still said there is no such in the guidance sent to them by UKBA. Even the most recent guidance (released yesterday) states that you need a UK NARIC certificate

See page 11 - http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/sitec ... let_an.pdf

teekay125

Post by teekay125 » Fri Oct 25, 2013 2:05 pm

krthk.s wrote:I spoke to my council for a NCS appointment and they insisted that you must get a UK NARIC certificate as my degree was from India.

I explained to them that this degree is in points calculator and UKBA previously accepted this for Tier 1 and ILR.

They still said there is no such in the guidance sent to them by UKBA. Even the most recent guidance (released yesterday) states that you need a UK NARIC certificate

Did you show them - http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/sitec ... hip/kol-uk

this is also from UKBA site and is applicable for new rules. It states - 'he qualification must be deemed by UK NARIC to meet the recognised standard of a Bachelor’s or Master’s degree or PhD in the UK.' UKNARIC might have an approved list available somewhere?

Can any Board Gurus please comment on this?

krthk.s

Post by krthk.s » Fri Oct 25, 2013 2:08 pm

teekay125 wrote:
krthk.s wrote:I spoke to my council for a NCS appointment and they insisted that you must get a UK NARIC certificate as my degree was from India.

this is also from UKBA site and is applicable for new rules. It states - 'he qualification must be deemed by UK NARIC to meet the recognised standard of a Bachelor’s or Master’s degree or PhD in the UK.' UKNARIC might have an approved list available somewhere?

Yes they already have that. All that text says is your degree should be recognised by UK NARIC. Doesn't say how you can prove it. Unless explicitly stated, the only way currently is to get a certificate from UK NARIC

teekay125

Post by teekay125 » Fri Oct 25, 2013 2:14 pm

krthk.s wrote:
teekay125 wrote:

Yes they already have that. All that text says is your degree should be recognised by UK NARIC. Doesn't say how you can prove it. Unless explicitly stated, the only way currently is to get a certificate from UK NARIC
There are two 'possible' ways of doing - 1) 'IF' there is a list of approved Universities and Qualifications by NARIC - which NCS can refer to. 2) go through through the process of getting individual degrees certified by NARIC. Second is more hassle for us but more definite from NCS point of view. It seems 2nd option is the one going to be. Any Gurus comments on it?

Please share the NARIC process here if you find about it? cost, process, time taken etc?

Fairychild

Post by Fairychild » Fri Oct 25, 2013 2:15 pm

My interpretation is that you meet the requirement and don't need to show any evidence

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/sitec ... hip/kol-uk

"...For example, someone who demonstrated a knowledge of English
equivalent to B1 level when applying for entry clearance will not be required to take a further test in order to qualify settlement."

But I expect there will be confusion and that the NCS will ask us to show some proof that we met the requirement at entry clearance. Because they are already asking me to show the Life in the UK test certificate again, even though I did this with settlement.

I don't have my IELTS certificate to show that I met the requirement at entry clearance but it should be on the Home Office Record.

If NCS asks for proof it may be better to post the application... that is my current thinking. Unless one can convince NCS otherwise.

Ayyubi72
- thin ice -

Post by Ayyubi72 » Sat Oct 26, 2013 11:45 am

Fairychild wrote:
http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/sitec ... hip/kol-uk

"...For example, someone who demonstrated a knowledge of English
equivalent to B1 level when applying for entry clearance will not be required to take a further test in order to qualify settlement."

What you mentioned Fairychild is one hundred percent accurate.

go-fish
Newly Registered

Post by go-fish » Sat Oct 26, 2013 1:28 pm

Following is the excerpt from the Booklet AN:

THOSE WHO HAVE OBTAINED AN ACADEMIC QUALIFICATION
You will not be required to show a formal speaking and listening qualification if you have obtained an academic qualification deemed by UK NARIC to meet the recognised standard of a Bachelor’s or Master’s degree or PhD in the United Kingdom and either:
(i) UK NARIC has confirmed that the qualification was taught or researched in English; or(ii) the qualification was taught or researched in the United Kingdom or a majority English speaking country as listed below (other than Canada).
Please note that you still need to pass the Life in the UK test to demonstrate your knowledge of life in the UK.
If you need to obtain confirmation from UK NARIC that your qualification was taught or researched in English you should contact UK NARIC to request an English Language Assessment (ELA). Details of how to contact UK NARIC can be found at
http://ecctis.co.uk/naric/Contact%20Us.aspx

Based on the above it seems that one may need to get ELA statement from UK NARIC if has a degree from non majorly English speaking country. But no need to get Statement of Comparability to show that your degree is considered to be equivalent to UK's bachelors/ master's or PhD.