ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

5 years for ILR rule implemented

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

ranjanams
Newly Registered

Regarding verdict of the case

Post by ranjanams » Sat Jun 09, 2007 5:52 pm

Hi,

The hearing of the case is on 14th and 15th June. One of my friend who is on work permit came to UK in may 2004 and she got married to British citizen in may 2006. But due to the wrong information received she never applied for spouse visa till date and now she wants to apply for spouse visa. I told her to wait for the out come of the case hearing. As she came to UK in may 2004 she is going to complete 4 years in may 2008 on workpermit and if we win the case, she can apply for the ILR in may 2008. If we lose the case then she has to wait till may 2009 for ILR. And if she apply for spouse visa now in june 2007 then she will be eligible for ILR in June 2009 but only advantage of spouse visa is that she can change her job and do not depend upon work permit. But if we win the case she can get ILR in may 2008 and also she do not need to pay money for spouse visa. I would like to know that we will get the verdict of the case on 15th june itself or we have to wait some more days after the case hearing for the verdict.

Thanks

Ranjanams

Rog
Member of Standing

Post by Rog » Sun Jun 10, 2007 9:21 am

No one can predict whether there will be an immediate outcome or there is any waiting period. Just cross your fingers and hope for the best

a11

Post by a11 » Mon Jun 11, 2007 1:20 am

We're informed it is now possible to donate by credit/debit card:
http://www.harveysf.co.uk/appeal_trust.html

Mikhail
VBSI

PS. See www.vbsi.org.uk for terms and conditions

viva
Newly Registered

visa expiring soon

Post by viva » Mon Jun 11, 2007 1:23 am

Hello all

After almost 4 years ,my HSMP visa is due to expire on 27 June 2007. Under old rules , I would have qualified for ILR , but under new rules , I have to apply for extension .

The JR case is on 14/15 June 2007 . I doubt that the verdict will be out before I have to send in my application . What should I do ?

Thanks
Viva

a11

Post by a11 » Mon Jun 11, 2007 1:25 am

Dear Viva,

It goes without saying that you should apply for extension asap. Even if the JR is a success, it'll take a while for the results to have an effect.

Best regards
Mikhail

viva
Newly Registered

Post by viva » Mon Jun 11, 2007 1:29 am

Thanks Mikhail

May the struggle be short-lived.

Viva

t4m52
Newly Registered

more delay in court case hearing see the vbsi link below

Post by t4m52 » Wed Jun 13, 2007 9:15 pm

http://vbsi.org.uk/index.php?mact=News, ... eturnid=15

We have been informed that tomorrow's Judicial Review hearing has been postponed at short notice. Apparently the Home Office's counsel did not receive the trial bundle until this morning, which have already been served on the Treasury Solicitors on 18 and 22 May 2007.

badhorse

Post by badhorse » Fri Jun 15, 2007 8:22 am

We have been through this many times!

hsmporwp

Post by hsmporwp » Sat Jun 16, 2007 10:23 am

is late justice, justice :?:

mansawant

4-5 years

Post by mansawant » Tue Jul 10, 2007 4:21 pm

Hi all,

Any update on the hearing date? I think everybody has forgotten about hearing of the case.

Thanks & Regards,
Mansawant

hsmporwp

Post by hsmporwp » Mon Jul 16, 2007 10:08 pm

JR date negotiations

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

16 July 2007

The ILR 4-to-5 Judicial Review has been listed for a hearing on 17 and 18 December 2007. It is the intention of Harvey, Son & Filby Solicitors to request an earlier date which, because of the summer recess, is likely to be no earlier than in October 2007. We will continue to post updates as and when they become available.
:!:

SYH
BANNED

Post by SYH » Mon Jul 16, 2007 10:11 pm

hsmporwp wrote:JR date negotiations

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

16 July 2007

The ILR 4-to-5 Judicial Review has been listed for a hearing on 17 and 18 December 2007. It is the intention of Harvey, Son & Filby Solicitors to request an earlier date which, because of the summer recess, is likely to be no earlier than in October 2007. We will continue to post updates as and when they become available.
:!:
Just as I expected, the delay makes moot the issue of being able to apply for ILR earlier as that by the end of the year, the first wave of people impacted will have been sorted and then they will unlikely change it back for the rest of the group since if the first wave didn't get it why should the next group.

hsmporwp

Post by hsmporwp » Mon Jul 16, 2007 10:34 pm

It is like a planned game going on and we are restricted with nothing but watching the game which will subsequently have a great impact to our lives.

Thinking logically if the JR favours back to 4 year; people who spent 5 years should not wait for citizenship...

Logic and Law :roll:

Siggi

Post by Siggi » Tue Jul 17, 2007 10:18 am

Well that it, game over!
Again many of us who will most likely qualify in Dec will have lost in this game and more so if the JR is susccessful.
It is a disgrace but do you all really believe, that it would end happily?

tobiashomer

Post by tobiashomer » Fri Jul 20, 2007 2:52 pm

at this stage it will be ironic if we win: too late to make any difference to most of us, I think. a Pyrrhic victory, win the battle but lose the war. it is hard to believe that this is not being dragged out deliberately... and cynically.

my 5 years are up in January so we will probably be OK, but I feel for those not so lucky, and the shine has definitely gone off the whole experience, which started so brightly with HSMP acceptance 5 years ago.

after it is all over those of us who survive must use our new secure situation to argue for more consideration for the rights of future immigrants. this has been a shameful episode.

hsmporwp

Post by hsmporwp » Sat Jul 21, 2007 9:18 am

tobiashomer wrote:at this stage it will be ironic if we win: too late to make any difference to most of us, I think. a Pyrrhic victory, win the battle but lose the war. it is hard to believe that this is not being dragged out deliberately... and cynically.

my 5 years are up in January so we will probably be OK, but I feel for those not so lucky, and the shine has definitely gone off the whole experience, which started so brightly with HSMP acceptance 5 years ago.

after it is all over those of us who survive must use our new secure situation to argue for more consideration for the rights of future immigrants. this has been a shameful episode.
well i wonder it can make a difference for some in terms of citizenship application. You know after ILR you need to spend 1 year before applying for citizenship. People who waited 5 years instead of 4 may not be subject to this clause if retrospective implementation is changed. :idea: i don't know if it is possible though.

But if it happens; it is better than nothing...

SYH
BANNED

Post by SYH » Sat Jul 21, 2007 9:30 am

hsmporwp wrote:
tobiashomer wrote:at this stage it will be ironic if we win: too late to make any difference to most of us, I think. a Pyrrhic victory, win the battle but lose the war. it is hard to believe that this is not being dragged out deliberately... and cynically.

well i wonder it can make a difference for some in terms of citizenship application. You know after ILR you need to spend 1 year before applying for citizenship. People who waited 5 years instead of 4 may not be subject to this clause if retrospective implementation is changed. :idea: i don't know if it is possible though.

I thought of that but I don't think they are willing to waive the rules for this issue but it is a thought

sowhat

Post by sowhat » Sat Jul 21, 2007 10:30 am

hsmporwp wrote:

I do not think it will happen. The rules are simple, one has to spend at least 1 year on a unconditional visa. Nobody will change your visa back I guess even if the judge rules that 5 years were unfair.

hsmporwp

Post by hsmporwp » Sat Jul 21, 2007 3:29 pm

sowhat wrote:
hsmporwp wrote:

I do not think it will happen. The rules are simple, one has to spend at least 1 year on a unconditional visa. Nobody will change your visa back I guess even if the judge rules that 5 years were unfair.
So if the retrospective change of 4-5 year is waived, should we not win the rights as if the 5 year never happened?

Cancellation of retrospective changes should be introduced retrospectively :)

sowhat

Post by sowhat » Sat Jul 21, 2007 4:42 pm

hsmporwp wrote:
sowhat wrote:
hsmporwp wrote:

So if the retrospective change of 4-5 year is waived, should we not win the rights as if the 5 year never happened?

Cancellation of retrospective changes should be introduced retrospectively :)
but you will still need 1 year on unconditional visa. Let's say they will decide in December that 5 years for all who entered UK before 2006 was wrong. So anyone who has 4 years and more will be able to apply for ILR. But still they will have to wait a year after that to apply for nationality. I do not think that HO will stamp any visa with a backdate.

anupvijay

Will this report help ?

Post by anupvijay » Thu Aug 09, 2007 10:54 am

May or may not make a difference.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/immigration/s ... 99,00.html

Cheers.

sowhat

Re: Will this report help ?

Post by sowhat » Thu Aug 09, 2007 11:10 am

anupvijay wrote:May or may not make a difference.

Cheers.
I heard Andy Dismore on BBC Radio 4 today.

hsmporwp

Re: Will this report help ?

Post by hsmporwp » Thu Aug 09, 2007 1:44 pm

sowhat wrote:
anupvijay wrote:May or may not make a difference.

Cheers.
I heard Andy Dismore on BBC Radio 4 today.
Certainly the fact that it is announced by the committee and it is on the news, is much better than nothing...

try-one
Member of Standing

Post by try-one » Thu Aug 09, 2007 1:53 pm

51. We therefore recommend that the Immigration Rules be urgently amended so that
both the lengthening of the qualifying period for settlement and the introduction of
stricter requirements for the extension of leave apply only prospectively, that is, to
future applicants to the HSMP. We recommend that those who had already been
granted leave as a highly skilled migrant on the HSMP when the relevant changes took
effect should be treated according to the rules which applied before those changes.
I like the document from the parliament!
-------------------------
Life is a journey, not a destination (S. Tyler)

hsmporwp

Post by hsmporwp » Thu Aug 09, 2007 2:03 pm

try-one wrote:
51. We therefore recommend that the Immigration Rules be urgently amended so that
both the lengthening of the qualifying period for settlement and the introduction of
stricter requirements for the extension of leave apply only prospectively, that is, to
future applicants to the HSMP. We recommend that those who had already been
granted leave as a highly skilled migrant on the HSMP when the relevant changes took
effect should be treated according to the rules which applied before those changes.
I like the document from the parliament!
That part is really cool though they do not mention about the work permit holders. It looks like the whole report focuses on HSMP holders only. :roll: