ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Indian, UK passports - travel to India

Please post country topics not listed elsewhere.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

ramu123

Indian, UK passports - travel to India

Post by ramu123 » Mon Oct 14, 2013 5:14 pm

I searched the forum but couldnt' find relevant results.

My son has Indian passport but as he is born here in UK (after I got citizenship) he doesn't have any visa in his Indian passport. And we intend to take British passport in near future.
Now we need to travel to India. Would like to know what's the best route?

- Take British passport and travel to India on Indian passport and enter UK on BP
- Take Right of Abode on Indian passport and travel. (and apply for BP after return)

Please can you suggest which option is better if at all? Or it's just not possible to travel this way?

Thanks.

ramu123

Post by ramu123 » Mon Oct 14, 2013 5:15 pm

To add we will be returning within a month (i.e. within the grace period allowed if we take BP)

ramu123

Post by ramu123 » Tue Oct 15, 2013 9:44 am

please can you advise?
Basically I would like to know if getting the Right of Abode is the only option in this case.
Thanks.

ramu123

Post by ramu123 » Wed Oct 16, 2013 11:56 am

can anyone advise please?

neoseal
Member of Standing

Post by neoseal » Thu Oct 17, 2013 4:23 pm

If you intend to complete the journey within 3 months of acquiring BC, then according to me best would be to apply British passport for you child and travel to India on Indian passport and return on British Passport and then surrender all your Indian Passport.

Right of Abode sticker will take time.

ban.s

Re: Indian, UK passports - travel to India

Post by ban.s » Fri Oct 18, 2013 9:38 am

ramu123 wrote: - Take British passport and travel to India on Indian passport and enter UK on BP
when an indian passport was used during entry you can't use British passport for departure unless supported by an Exit permit.

Srieuk

Re: Indian, UK passports - travel to India

Post by Srieuk » Sun Oct 27, 2013 6:04 pm

ban.s wrote:
ramu123 wrote: - Take British passport and travel to India on Indian passport and enter UK on BP
when an indian passport was used during entry you can't use British passport for departure unless supported by an Exit permit.

hi, we are in same situation can you explain further? any reference of this rule and what is exit permit? much appreciated.

my son going to get BC shortly and we got travel in few days after.

thanks

ban.s

Post by ban.s » Mon Oct 28, 2013 10:41 am

An exit permit is required if a travel document, used during departure from india, is different from the one used during entry.

This normally happens if the original passport was lost/stolen in india and new passport issued or a baby born in india. The same happens if arrival with indian passport and departure on British passport. Exit permit in the latter case will also involve surrendering the indian passport/citizenship in india - which is a complex process (as no proper guideline publicly available and usual hassles at FRRO). If you need to find out more the best option would be to speak with your local FRRO.

Srieuk

Post by Srieuk » Tue Oct 29, 2013 4:32 pm

ban.s wrote:An exit permit is required if a travel document, used during departure from india, is different from the one used during entry.

This normally happens if the original passport was lost/stolen in india and new passport issued or a baby born in india. The same happens if arrival with indian passport and departure on British passport. Exit permit in the latter case will also involve surrendering the indian passport/citizenship in india - which is a complex process (as no proper guideline publicly available and usual hassles at FRRO). If you need to find out more the best option would be to speak with your local FRRO.
can this be done at local FRRO or needs to be done at Delphi main office?

ban.s

Post by ban.s » Wed Oct 30, 2013 9:40 am

can be done at local FRRO