ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Spuse Visa can my husband change his status

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

Yasmin
Newly Registered

Spuse Visa can my husband change his status

Post by Yasmin » Mon Jun 11, 2007 7:09 pm

Hi

Was wondering if anyone could give me any advice.

My husband came to the UK on a studnet visa in jan 2002 and then we got married in November 2005 and applied for his spouse vis ain March 2006 (we would have applied sooner but thats when his rediency permit was expiring so it made more sense that way).

So we have to apply for his ILR in March 2008. But I was just wondering if he could apply for ILR under another category sooner etc. We got married but are kind of regretting it now as they were no rush etc. We feel that we both have rushed into getting married instead of waiting.

Can anyone offer any advice. Sorry for been so vague.

Kind Regards

Yas

stedman

Post by stedman » Mon Jun 11, 2007 8:00 pm

Bad news - you have to stay married until 2008, there's no other way he can get ILR.

Don't mean to be nosey but if you want to be with each other, why should being officially married be a problem? Unless you only got married for him to get residency and both want to be free to be with other people?

Yasmin
Newly Registered

Post by Yasmin » Mon Jun 11, 2007 8:19 pm

stedman wrote:Bad news - you have to stay married until 2008, there's no other way he can get ILR.

Don't mean to be nosey but if you want to be with each other, why should being officially married be a problem? Unless you only got married for him to get residency and both want to be free to be with other people?
Hi

No its not that at all we are both happy but we both feel that getting married wsa a bit of a mistake due to our personal/family circumstances. Its a bit complicated. But we did not get married for him to get residency or any other such reason.

Yasmin

stedman

Post by stedman » Mon Jun 11, 2007 9:23 pm

That makes it easier then, as he has only 9 months until ILR. The months will go very quickly!

Yasmin
Newly Registered

Post by Yasmin » Mon Jun 11, 2007 9:30 pm

stedman wrote:That makes it easier then, as he has only 9 months until ILR. The months will go very quickly!
Do you know when we are supposed to apply for ILR? i think i read somewher eit is 30 workding days before his visa is due to expire.

After ILR is there anything stopping us from getitng a Divorce at all or are there ruls against that? I amnot to sure the immigration rules are very diferenet!

Thanks in advance.

Yasmin

olisun
Diamond Member

Post by olisun » Mon Jun 11, 2007 9:43 pm

Yasmin wrote:After ILR is there anything stopping us from getitng a Divorce at all
:lol: :lol: :lol:

stedman

Post by stedman » Mon Jun 11, 2007 9:44 pm

Yasmin wrote:
Do you know when we are supposed to apply for ILR? i think i read somewher eit is 30 workding days before his visa is due to expire.

After ILR is there anything stopping us from getitng a Divorce at all or are there ruls against that? I amnot to sure the immigration rules are very diferenet!

Thanks in advance.

Yasmin
He can apply 28 days before the spouse visa expires. After he gets ILR you can get a divorce. It shouldn't affect his application for British citizenship although he'll be asked to provide details of his marriage/divorce/ex wife on the form.

Isn't a divorce a bit drastic though, if you'll still be together?

Yasmin
Newly Registered

Post by Yasmin » Mon Jun 11, 2007 9:54 pm

stedman wrote:
Yasmin wrote:

Thanks in advance.

Yasmin
He can apply 28 days before the spouse visa expires. After he gets ILR you can get a divorce. It shouldn't affect his application for British citizenship although he'll be asked to provide details of his marriage/divorce/ex wife on the form.

Isn't a divorce a bit drastic though, if you'll still be together?

Hi

When can he apply for British Citzenship once he has ILR? Yeah divorce is quite drastic but our family situation is a little tricky/difficult and that is th e only way forward that I can see this going forward. Our circumstnaces may well change but at the moment tht is the way is the easier option

Thanks for the advice

Yasmin

Smit
Member of Standing

Post by Smit » Wed Jun 13, 2007 11:52 am

Your husband can apply for British Citizenship immediately using the ppron method (search for it on this board) on the basis that he has lawfully stayed in the UK for at least 3 years and is married to a British Citizen.