ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

SOC relating to Post Office branch

Only for UK Tier 1 (Entrepreneur) points system. This route is now closed to new applicants.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

nomi80
Newly Registered

SOC relating to Post Office branch

Post by nomi80 » Mon Oct 28, 2013 8:26 pm

Hi,

i am planning to apply under Tier 1 as a business development manager. my main functions are providing training to staff, increase sale of post office branch, work as liaison between branch and post office head office.

gurus would u please help me out in finding that i am going on the right direction.

secondly do i need indemnity insurance as i provide training.

i am very optimist that i would be able to get all my answers from this forum.

hope to hear from you people soon.

regards

RizKCB
Member of Standing
Mood:
Pakistan

Post by RizKCB » Mon Oct 28, 2013 9:29 pm

Assumed you to switching from PSW.
Operating a post office branch as a business is lower level whether you become Business Development Manager (level 6). Mind the following points:

1) Services of your business (Post Office Branch) are given below under TASKS section. Therefore your actual SOC would be 4123.

2) Your chosen role Business Development Manager is at Level 6 and it has its own TASKS given in SOC 2010 Volume 1. Which you are not providing to your clients. Its only administrative to your business.

3) Point 50 (iv) in policy guidance states:
Other than the work necessary to administer the business, your main business activity must be working skilled to National Qualifications Framework (NQF) 4 or above. We will not take into account the tasks involved with the running of the business for this assessment.
For example
• If the business is software sales and your main activity is developing software, you may qualify for points;
• If the business is a taxi firm, the main occupation is driving a taxi and you will not score points even though you manage the business. Your main activity is providing a taxi service which is not skilled to graduate level. Guidance on what is work skilled to NQF 4 or above, as stated in the Codes of Practice.

4123 BANK AND POST OFFICE CLERKS
Bank and post office clerks deal with the payment and receipt of money, cheques and other routine financial transactions and open and close accounts. They advise upon financial products and services offered by banks, building societies and post offices.

TASKS
• deals with enquiries from customers,
• other banks and other authorised enquirers;
• maintains records of transactions and compiles information;
• advises customers on financial services and products available;
• manages the operations of a sub-post office;
• receives and pays out cash, cheques, money orders, credit notes, foreign currency or travellers cheques;
• provides postal services, pays state pensions, unemployment and other state benefits to claimants, supplies official forms and documentation to the public, and performs other tasks specific to the activities of a post office.

RELATED JOB TITLES
Bank clerk
Cashier (bank)
Customer adviser (building society)
Customer service officer (bank)
Post office clerk

Post by top » Tue Oct 29, 2013 12:35 am

buying a business like post office is good not as good as it used to be however the purpose behind getting into it you putting up front is totally wrong, remember you SOC is the services to your clients not your services to your business like business promotional manager etc.

a member has also explained it to you in detail before me anyway

thanks..

Olasunkanmi
Diamond Member

Re: SOC relating to Post Office branch

Post by Olasunkanmi » Tue Oct 29, 2013 6:02 pm

@ nomi80, your stated role in the post office look more like a trainer/business consultant, how do you actually plan to achieve this, are u going to open a post office or sign a contract with some post office to render your service?

You need to explain the points listed above for us to actually understand your question.
Last edited by Olasunkanmi on Wed Oct 30, 2013 1:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The key to success is knowledge and hardwork, and to have faith.

nomi80
Newly Registered

Re: SOC relating to Post Office branch

Post by nomi80 » Tue Oct 29, 2013 8:40 pm

Olasunkanmi wrote:@ nomi80, your stated role in the post office look more like a trainee/business consultant, how do you actually plan to achieve this, are u going to open a post office or sign a contract with some post office to render your service?

You need to explain the points listed above for us to actually understand your question.
Thanks to all for ur nice opinion and sparing some time for me.

now i redefine my activities

i worked in post office for two years. i got enough experience. due to that experience now i am offering my service to post offices that are;

i give training to staff.

i educate the staff how to sell financial products.

all branches have to give their pledges and target weekly, monthly and quarterly. for the very purpose post office hold a meeting and invite one person from all branches to visit and debrief about the branch performance. if targets are achieved then ok otherwise y not. so, i have to appear in that meetings on behalf of the branch to answer all questions and future planning with regard to performance.

manage all the branch affairs

encouraging staff to sell more, increase sale and profits.

remain in contact with ASM and if necessary, with RSM of post office.

if require provide temporary staff.

this work is on contract basis not permanent one u trained all staff in the branch my work is finished. the contract duration is 4 months and secondly 6 months.

hope this may help to resolve my issue.

once again thanks to all of u for ur kind help and co-operation.

regards

nomi80
Newly Registered

Post by nomi80 » Tue Oct 29, 2013 8:45 pm

my education back ground is law. i am law student. i did my LL.M. because i could not find job in my respective field therefore i moved here.

Post by top » Tue Oct 29, 2013 11:27 pm

now your plans began to make sense..

the SOC that follows your work is level 3 you might know it before me however the solution is get accreditation of any awarding body at least one that would help you offering more courses you can show yourself as a teacher and trainer being called trainer only for said clients is level 3.

if you need more help in this aspect please feel free to come forward

thanks..

RizKCB
Member of Standing
Mood:
Pakistan

Post by RizKCB » Wed Oct 30, 2013 9:02 am

@nomi80

Think in broader term that you can give advice to any business which involves: (for example)
- To meet sales targets weekly, monthly and quarterly
- To debrief about the branch performance to head franchisee
- Presenting yourself on behalf of franchisee in front of head franchisee for progressive proposals.

Do not stick yourself to post office only in your business plan. Develop your business plan in generic terms. If your first contract of business is with a client who want her business of Post Office to progress in right direction; it should be OK. Its just like to say; if a software developer develops a software for a taxi company OR pizza shop, it should be fine because Software Developer runs her separate business and taxi company, pizza shop are her clients.

Olasunkanmi
Diamond Member

Post by Olasunkanmi » Wed Oct 30, 2013 1:53 pm

@ RizKCB, good points
The key to success is knowledge and hardwork, and to have faith.

nomi80
Newly Registered

Post by nomi80 » Sat Nov 02, 2013 5:44 pm

Thanks for reply.

what u think that i can apply through this route. do i need any sort of insurance to support my case/work.

secondly, i worked in post office from there i got experience and on that basis i am rendering my services. Neither i have any institutional certificate for this nor i have any membership to any governing body as there in none.

in your opinion would that be a problem.

thirdly is it necessary to get Current Appointment Report after paying £3 when u get this free online. is there any significance attached to payment.

hope to hear from you people soon.

regards

Toby126
Newly Registered

Can't find reply to my question.

Post by Toby126 » Sat Nov 02, 2013 5:53 pm

Hi,
I posted a question. It was replied (thanks) but I can't find it on the forum.
Am new, how do I go about pls.