ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Question on termination of indian citizenship

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

ishameeque

Question on termination of indian citizenship

Post by ishameeque » Tue Jun 12, 2007 12:08 pm

Hi
If an indian citizen gets naturalised as British, he will loose the Indian citizenship automatically as per section 9 of indian citizenship act 1955 prior to obtaining his OCI. The vague area is that, what happens if he opts for naturalisation just for himself and does not apply for his family ( wife and children cannot apply at this point due to various factors such as dates going out of scope, although they continue to be permanent residents)?.

Will his minor children (and wife) then continue to be indian citizens or will the children loose the indian citizenship automatically since their father's citizenship has been terminated?

Thanks

sakura
Diamond Member

Post by sakura » Tue Jun 12, 2007 12:23 pm

Uhhh, so you mean can they be citizens in their own right? Can they hold a citizenship without their father!!?? Well, of course they can. Your citizenship is for yourself, not your whole family...talk about patriarchy!

Just kidding, don't be offended :lol:
Yes, they will still be Indian citizens even if you are not, becuase their citizenship is bestowed upon them as individuals!

Man, at least I hope it's like that in India!

ishameeque

Post by ishameeque » Tue Jun 12, 2007 1:08 pm

The reason I asked is because when an adult rejects the indian citizenship his minor child will automatically loose the citizenship as well ( section 8 act 1955). But for termination, it says "any citizens of india" which includes the minors. But, it does not clearly state that the minors will loose the right of being indian.

jes2jes

Post by jes2jes » Tue Jun 12, 2007 1:23 pm

The reason I asked is because when an adult rejects the indian citizenship his minor child will automatically loose the citizenship as well ( section 8 act 1955).
Don't you think if the minor child(ren) having not obtained another citizenship (or nationality) like in your case would become stateless if the rule is applied this way?

I think you should read through the Immigration/Citizenship Act of 1955 and any amendments and you would find the answer. Your citizenship as pointed out to your earlier is for you and you alone (I guess there is something like mutually exclusive in mathematics if I remember right, which describes this scenorio).
Praise The Lord!!!!