ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

How can a teacher find sponsorship? Is it even possible?

Only for the UK Skilled Worker visas, formerly known as Tier 2 visa route

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

pinksubmarine3
Newly Registered

How can a teacher find sponsorship? Is it even possible?

Post by pinksubmarine3 » Thu Oct 24, 2013 7:25 pm

I have been doing a lot of research on relocating. I would really like to find a teaching job in the UK, but I see that working visas are difficult to obtain. I have looked and seen plenty of schools licensed to sponsor migrants under Tiers 2 visa. Somewhere on the UKBA website I stumbled across a page saying employers they are in need of and science teachers are on the list. I am a biology major (4 year full time student +1.5 secondary education license program graduate). How can I go about being useful in the UK? Do I contact one of the schools that can sponsor migrants and apply if they have a vacancy in science? Or is that too good to be true? I currently live in the US, have no relatives or connection to the UK besides friends. I would love to eventually make it my home. It would only be me traveling. If anyone knows any answers I would love to be pointed into a direction. Any advice would be great.
Sorry if this should of been posted in the "other immigration" category. I was unsure where to post about visas

manci
Respected Guru

Post by manci » Thu Oct 24, 2013 8:27 pm

I'm not sure what qualifications you need to get a science teaching job in the UK but if you Google "science teaching jobs + uk" lots ads by recruitment agencies come up.

Also the Guardian newspaper's website may be useful:
http://jobs.theguardian.com/jobs/educat ... g/science/

When you contact anyone you should of course point out that you need to be sponsored.

The other, more laborious, way would be to contact schools on the sponsorship register directly.

onlooker

Post by onlooker » Mon Oct 28, 2013 10:52 pm

There're certaintly Canadian teachers on Tier 2 in UK private primary schools. Good luck.

physicskate
Diamond Member

Re: How can a teacher find sponsorship? Is it even possible?

Post by physicskate » Wed Oct 30, 2013 10:41 am

pinksubmarine3 wrote:I have been doing a lot of research on relocating. I would really like to find a teaching job in the UK, but I see that working visas are difficult to obtain. I have looked and seen plenty of schools licensed to sponsor migrants under Tiers 2 visa. Somewhere on the UKBA website I stumbled across a page saying employers they are in need of and science teachers are on the list. I am a biology major (4 year full time student +1.5 secondary education license program graduate). How can I go about being useful in the UK? Do I contact one of the schools that can sponsor migrants and apply if they have a vacancy in science? Or is that too good to be true? I currently live in the US, have no relatives or connection to the UK besides friends. I would love to eventually make it my home. It would only be me traveling. If anyone knows any answers I would love to be pointed into a direction. Any advice would be great.
Sorry if this should of been posted in the "other immigration" category. I was unsure where to post about visas
I am a teacher! Yes, the UK does need teachers, but not SCIENCE teachers. We need physics and chemistry teachers. 7 out of 10 Science teachers are Biologists.... But there are a lot of adverts for all types of Science teaching jobs. There is pretty intense competition for all posts.
The process is this:
apply for a job posting (tes.co.uk is a good place to look for these)
attend a job interview in person (schools will also require you to teach a lesson). I would also discuss sponsorship at this point...
If you are offered the job, they will need to complete the RLMT unless the job is for Chemistry or Physics teaching (I am not sure how this works with 'teacher of science' posts...)
If the school is not already a sponsor, they will need to complete that process.
School issues CoS and you apply for a visa.

Most posts start cropping up in January and continue being posted well into May/June for a September start. I applied for a job in April 2012 and was unable to start until Jan 2013 because of the visa process. But things took a lot longer back then. My school was unable to find another Physics teacher in the meantime and it was a total disaster. Thank you UKBA.

Anyway, I would be happy to try and answer more questions!

JS28
Member of Standing

Post by JS28 » Sat Jan 04, 2014 11:12 pm

Physicskate,

I am a teacher sponsored by an FE college. Am I allowed to do tutoring in my own time for 5-10 hrs a week or do I have to let the home office know about it?

Also, as teachers under the SOC code, what does this mean:

Where the source is teachers‟ national pay scales, on the definition of a full-time teacher as used when determining those pay scales;

Am I right for saying that whatever the college's meaning of full-time contract is, which is 37 hrs/week for me?

Thank you

michseg
Newly Registered

Post by michseg » Mon Jun 16, 2014 10:29 pm

Hello,

I am a Canadian trained teacher (geography, PE & special education) and am seeking a school to sponsor me as that is my only option for securing work in the UK at this point. Does anyone know where I can find a list of schools that already hold the Certificate of Sponsorship? Im looking for work in the Leicestershire area in particular but would be willing to commute an hour or so in any direction.

Also - if a school doesnt have a certificate of sponsorship but likes me enough to get one, how long is that process?

Thanks so much for any help/advice.

Michelle

physicskate
Diamond Member

Post by physicskate » Wed Jun 18, 2014 6:11 pm

michseg wrote:Hello,

I am a Canadian trained teacher (geography, PE & special education) and am seeking a school to sponsor me as that is my only option for securing work in the UK at this point. Does anyone know where I can find a list of schools that already hold the Certificate of Sponsorship? Im looking for work in the Leicestershire area in particular but would be willing to commute an hour or so in any direction.

Also - if a school doesnt have a certificate of sponsorship but likes me enough to get one, how long is that process?

Thanks so much for any help/advice.

Michelle
Google 'Tier 2 list of sponsors' There are many thousands of companies on the list. There is not a separate list for schools, nor is there a list by location. Your subjects would not be considered shortage, and so you would need to undergo the RLMT...

JS28
Member of Standing

Post by JS28 » Tue Jun 24, 2014 5:15 pm

Hi Physicskate,

Could you please help me with this?

Thanks

JS28 wrote:Physicskate,

I am a teacher sponsored by an FE college. Am I allowed to do tutoring in my own time for 5-10 hrs a week or do I have to let the home office know about it?

Also, as teachers under the SOC code, what does this mean:

Where the source is teachers‟ national pay scales, on the definition of a full-time teacher as used when determining those pay scales;

Am I right for saying that whatever the college's meaning of full-time contract is, which is 37 hrs/week for me?

Thank you

physicskate
Diamond Member

Post by physicskate » Tue Jun 24, 2014 6:30 pm

Hi,

This is purely my opinion.

Tutoring is not at the same NQF level as teaching. Neither is being a TA. I do not think tutoring qualifies for the 'up to 20 hours a week at the same level' test. Would you get away with it? Most likely...

But when doing private tutoring you do not perform some of the job description points as a teacher: you do not have class responsibilities. Marking..? hmm...

Also you work 37 hours a week?!?!? I wanna work there! I work nearer 65.... boo! (this is normal for my school, although I have a heavier teaching timetable than teachers in quite a few other departments). But that is just a rant.

JS28
Member of Standing

Post by JS28 » Tue Jun 24, 2014 11:48 pm

Hi,

Yeh, I teach 22.5 hrs then the 10 hrs is my in attendance time. I can stay at home for 5 hrs to do my marking etc.

I might not do tutoring then. I can't risk my Tier 2.

Just a quick question, do you which SOC code I should be using? is it the 2000 or 2010? I have a Tier 2 General valid from MArch 2013.

Thanks

physicskate wrote:Hi,

This is purely my opinion.

Tutoring is not at the same NQF level as teaching. Neither is being a TA. I do not think tutoring qualifies for the 'up to 20 hours a week at the same level' test. Would you get away with it? Most likely...

But when doing private tutoring you do not perform some of the job description points as a teacher: you do not have class responsibilities. Marking..? hmm...

Also you work 37 hours a week?!?!? I wanna work there! I work nearer 65.... boo! (this is normal for my school, although I have a heavier teaching timetable than teachers in quite a few other departments). But that is just a rant.

puneetschdv
Newly Registered

Post by puneetschdv » Sun Oct 04, 2015 3:48 pm

Hi kate.

Thanks for valuable information. I am presently in UK and my visa is till march 2016. I am exploring opportunities in Math teaching in secondary schools . I would need a tier 2 visa.

Please can you advise whether I should apply now or do we have enough opportunities in march also.

physicskate
Diamond Member

Post by physicskate » Sun Oct 04, 2015 7:24 pm

puneetschdv wrote:Hi kate.

Thanks for valuable information. I am presently in UK and my visa is till march 2016. I am exploring opportunities in Math teaching in secondary schools . I would need a tier 2 visa.

Please can you advise whether I should apply now or do we have enough opportunities in march also.
I would say there probably will b more jobs coming up in March/ April/ May but as your visa is expiring then, get a job in a school you feel comfortable in. There will always be a demand for Maths teachers. As Maths teacher on the shortage occupations' list, you can bypass the RLMT. Find a school that is already able to sponsor you...