ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

ILR for spouse with LLR

Only for queries regarding Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR). Please use the EU Settlement Scheme forum for queries about settled status under Appendix EU

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

Eaustin
Newly Registered

ILR for spouse with LLR

Post by Eaustin » Wed Oct 30, 2013 11:34 am

I am asking this question on behalf of a friend.

She is from Malaysia has LLR to April 2015, her husband has just become a British citizen and they have a child who was born in England and is also a British citizen.

Can someone please advise when she would be eligible to apply for ILR and then to become a British citizen.

Many thanks in advance.

Edward

Amber
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by Amber » Wed Oct 30, 2013 1:12 pm

I assume the person in question was given family life leave as the parent of a British Citizen under exception 1, please confirm?

The family life route to settlement is 10 years (4 x 2.5 years leave). She could possibly switch to FLR(M) if the requirements were met, this is a 5 years route to settlement (2 x 2.5 years leave), but has an English and Financial Requirement.
**this forum is not intended to be a substitute for professional advice**
Click here to send me a PM regarding an offensive post. Do NOT PM me for immigration advice.

Eaustin
Newly Registered

Post by Eaustin » Wed Oct 30, 2013 4:33 pm

Thank you, yes her initial LLR visa was for 2.5 years and expires in April 2015. So if I understand correctly she will need a further three visa before being eligible for ILR.

I thought that with her husband now a British citizen this might reduce the qualifying period.

Casa
United Kingdom

Post by Casa » Wed Oct 30, 2013 4:59 pm

She will qualify for BC once she has been granted ILR. Following the initial 2.5 year visa she will apply for a further 2.5 year LLR and then submit an application for ILR.

Amber
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by Amber » Wed Oct 30, 2013 5:14 pm

Casa, I'm not sure that the applicant was granted spouse leave, I think it could have been leave under exception 1 which is a 10 year route to settlement. However, the OP has not confirmed.
Click here to send me a PM regarding an offensive post. Do NOT PM me for immigration advice.

Casa
United Kingdom

Post by Casa » Wed Oct 30, 2013 7:38 pm

You may be right Amber, but I read it differently as the wife having a standard Limited Leave to Remain spouse visa under post July 2012 rules of an initial 2.5 years to be followed by a 2.5 year FLR(M) visa. Perhaps Eaustin could confirm?

Amber
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by Amber » Wed Oct 30, 2013 9:52 pm

Indeed, Casa, and I would have thought exactly like you, but for their other thread.

Eaustin
Newly Registered

Post by Eaustin » Thu Oct 31, 2013 11:21 am

Thank you for your responses. I understand that the visa was granted as family life leave. On this basis reading your replies it is a 10 year route to qualification. Would the fact that her husband is now a British citizen change anything?

Thanks for your responses - it is truly appreciated.

Amber
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by Amber » Thu Oct 31, 2013 11:23 am

As per above, s(he) may be able to switch to FLR(M) which is a 5 year route to settlement.

Eaustin
Newly Registered

Post by Eaustin » Thu Oct 31, 2013 12:58 pm

Thank you for your responses. I understand that the visa was granted as family life leave. On this basis reading your replies it is a 10 year route to qualification. Would the fact that her husband is now a British citizen change anything?

Thanks for your responses - it is truly appreciated.

Amber
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by Amber » Sat Nov 02, 2013 10:49 pm

If she was on private life/family life leave she may be able to switch category using form flr(m) to leave as the partner of a settled/British citizen which is a 5 year route to settlement.

Eaustin
Newly Registered

Post by Eaustin » Mon Nov 04, 2013 8:15 pm

Thank you Amber, I will help them investigate the FLR(M) route. Do you know if that is something she c/should do now or do it at the point her current visa expires?

Amber
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by Amber » Mon Nov 04, 2013 10:12 pm

The sooner they switch (providing they're eligible) the sooner they begin the 5 year route to settlement. Bare in mind they must meet the financial requirement at 3 stages. 1. When being granted initial leave as a partner of a settled/British citizen, 2. When extending after 2.5 years and 3. when settling after 5 years.

Eaustin
Newly Registered

Post by Eaustin » Wed Nov 06, 2013 7:02 pm

Thanks again Amber. When does the 5 years start? Does the period served under the current visa qualify?

Amber
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by Amber » Wed Nov 06, 2013 8:19 pm

No, the current period would qualify under the 10 year route, the 5 year route would begin when flr(m) was granted. However, they must meet the financial and English requirements. What was the reason they did apply for spouse leave initially?

Eaustin
Newly Registered

Post by Eaustin » Wed Nov 06, 2013 11:34 pm

I assume because her husband only had ILR. She was an overstayer at the time.

Your replies are much appreciated. I need to do undertake some research into the FLR(M) on their behalf.

Could there be any risks in submitting a new application?

Amber
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by Amber » Thu Nov 07, 2013 6:42 am

No, ILR is accepted for FLR(M) as the sponsor is settled. The issue may be that she should have left the Country to make the application. The main risk for FLR(M) is that she does not meet the financial requirement in the future, but both her and the sponsors income can be included.