ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Further guidance on new B1 English Requirement

Only for queries regarding Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR). Please use the EU Settlement Scheme forum for queries about settled status under Appendix EU

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

Koomal
Newly Registered

Post by Koomal » Wed Oct 23, 2013 10:29 am

Dear All ,

Need your Help Please.

My Husband got his ILR , now I have to apply for FLR(m) and then SET(m).

I have to pass the English test.

for FLR(m) they are asking A1 on the CEFR / ESOL Entry 1

for SET(m) B1 on the CEFR / ESOL Entry 3

My query is If I pass the B1 on the CEFR / ESOL Entry 3

which is higher than A1 ,
Can I use the B1 certificate for both FLR(m) and SET(m)?

just to save money and time.

Many Thanks in advance for your Help.

Regards
Koomal

Amber
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by Amber » Wed Oct 23, 2013 10:56 am

ujjwal.barman that is correct in addition to LIUK.
**this forum is not intended to be a substitute for professional advice**
Click here to send me a PM regarding an offensive post. Do NOT PM me for immigration advice.

Amber
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by Amber » Wed Oct 23, 2013 10:57 am

Koomal do you have a degree taught in English?
Click here to send me a PM regarding an offensive post. Do NOT PM me for immigration advice.

whitequeen

Post by whitequeen » Fri Oct 25, 2013 4:11 pm

D4109125 wrote:whitequeen If it is expired I don't think it is of use as you met an A1 English requirement not B1 for entry clearance as a spouse. However, do you have a degree taught in English?
I have an engineering degree taught in English in the Philippines. But I believe it's not recognised by NARIC.

tier1check

Post by tier1check » Fri Oct 25, 2013 6:02 pm

I am planning to submit following to prove language and Life in UK. i think this should be enough. Any advice?

1. main applicant
- Bachelor degree certificate
- NARIC letter
- University letter stating medium was english

2. Dependent applicant
- Bachelor degree certificate
- NARIC letter
- Degree transcript mentioning medium of instruction as english

Amber
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by Amber » Fri Oct 25, 2013 6:32 pm

I would include an English Language Assessment too if the new AN form is anything to go by.

Koomal
Newly Registered

Post by Koomal » Sat Oct 26, 2013 5:47 pm

D4109125 wrote:Koomal do you have a degree taught in English?
Hi Amber,

Thanks for your Help

My Masters of Commerce degree from University of Nagpur(India) is taught in English.

regards
Koomal

Amber
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by Amber » Sat Oct 26, 2013 5:53 pm

The issues is that the Home Office appears to want UKNARIC proof the degree was taught/researched in English and UKNARIC English Language Assessment is not offered for overseas Masters or PhDs.

lake1
United Kingdom

Is my Degree ok for the new requirement?

Post by lake1 » Sat Oct 26, 2013 9:48 pm

Talking about ACCA, ACCA has an agreement with Oxford Brookes University in Oxford UK that once you pass your 2nd stage in ACCA you can write a project to Oxford Brookes University who then issues you with a degree which is graded based on the project and the scores you had with your ACCA exams.

I have this degree from Oxford Brookes University, will this be considered OK for the new English requirement?

Just as information the certificate I have does mention ACCA on it.

Koomal
Newly Registered

Post by Koomal » Mon Oct 28, 2013 8:50 am

D4109125 wrote:The issues is that the Home Office appears to want UKNARIC proof the degree was taught/researched in English and UKNARIC English Language Assessment is not offered for overseas Masters or PhDs.
Many Thanks for your Reply.

Could you please give me some suggestion on the following points.

1) I have check my Indian Masters Degree in the Point Calculator and its listed , Can I use that as a Proof of English?

IF NOT

2) Can I use the B1 certificate for both FLR(m) and SET(m)?

Regards
Koomal

tier1check

Post by tier1check » Mon Oct 28, 2013 11:03 am

D4109125 wrote:I would include an English Language Assessment too if the new AN form is anything to go by.
Do you mean we will need NARIC english Language Assessment even if we have University letter and PBS award points for english language?

Amber
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by Amber » Mon Oct 28, 2013 11:06 am

Need to wait for the new form to be released which is already late at coming.

Koomal
Newly Registered

Post by Koomal » Mon Oct 28, 2013 11:44 am

D4109125 wrote:Need to wait for the new form to be released which is already late at coming.
Many thanks,

You are right.

Its better to wait for the New form and guidelines.

regards
Koomal

anantha09
Newly Registered

Post by anantha09 » Mon Oct 28, 2013 12:46 pm

New form is already out guys.

But I don't see any update on the guidance notes.

john353

Post by john353 » Mon Oct 28, 2013 1:30 pm

New form is already out guys.

But I don't see any update on the guidance notes.
yes, strange indeed.

I was wondering if isn't the pdf published last month immigration rules? At least in there they have explicitly mentioned two options for degrees as below (which we already know).

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/sitec ... iew=Binary

iv) the applicant has obtained an academic qualification (not a professional
or vocational qualification) which is deemed by UK NARIC to meet
the recognised standard of a Bachelor's or Master's degree or PhD in
the UK, and
(1) provides the specified documentary evidence to show he has the
qualification, and
(2) UK NARIC has confirmed that the qualification was taught or
researched in English;

or

v) the applicant has obtained an academic qualification (not a professional
or vocational qualification) which is deemed by UK NARIC to meet
the recognised standard of a Bachelor's or Master's degree or PhD in
the UK, and provides the specified evidence to show:
(1) he has the qualification, and
(2) that the qualification was taught or researched in English; or.

Loona
Newly Registered

Post by Loona » Tue Oct 29, 2013 10:25 am

It is clearly mentioned on page 3 of following document that:

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/sitec ... hip/kol-uk

"Applicants who already have an English language qualification at B1 level or above will not be required to take another one. For example, someone who demonstrated a knowledge of English equivalent to B1 level when applying for entry clearance will not be required to take a further test in order to qualify settlement."

I called Home Office Croydon office at 0870 606 7766 to confirm and was told that people who did IELTS (now expired) at time of entry clearance will NOT need to do it again as they have already satisfied language requirements. I am applying for Naturalisation.

tier1munda
Newly Registered

Post by tier1munda » Tue Oct 29, 2013 3:27 pm

Hi All

Scenario: I'm on Tier 1 (General) and satisfied both Bachelor's degree points and English language points via points based calculator as part of my first visa.

I just called Croydon office at 08706067766, they clearly said that points based calculator is of no use for KOLL for settlement applications.

Even if you were awarded points for Bachelors degree and it's English language on points based calculator as a part of EC, you still need to get a letter from NARIC (Comparability letter) that degree is comparable to UK Bachelor's degree.

I specifically asked that UK NARIC won't be able to confirm if degree meets B1 if it falls short of C1, they said that is not relevant at all. All they want is a comparability letter from NARIC.

I checked with them if they require a letter from the university confirming the medium of instruction was english and they said all they need is a comparability letter and degree certificate as NARIC won't issue a positive comparability letter if the degree is not taught in English and it is not comparable to UK Bachelor's degree.

So it seems that following is needed:

- Degree Certificate
- NARIC comparability letter
- Life in UK test certificate

Anyone else had a similar response?

Thanks

BalajiSundaram
Newly Registered

Post by BalajiSundaram » Tue Oct 29, 2013 6:26 pm

tier1munda wrote:Hi All

Scenario: I'm on Tier 1 (General) and satisfied both Bachelor's degree points and English language points via points based calculator as part of my first visa.

I just called Croydon office at 08706067766, they clearly said that points based calculator is of no use for KOLL for settlement applications.

Even if you were awarded points for Bachelors degree and it's English language on points based calculator as a part of EC, you still need to get a letter from NARIC (Comparability letter) that degree is comparable to UK Bachelor's degree.

I specifically asked that UK NARIC won't be able to confirm if degree meets B1 if it falls short of C1, they said that is not relevant at all. All they want is a comparability letter from NARIC.

I checked with them if they require a letter from the university confirming the medium of instruction was english and they said all they need is a comparability letter and degree certificate as NARIC won't issue a positive comparability letter if the degree is not taught in English and it is not comparable to UK Bachelor's degree.

So it seems that following is needed:

- Degree Certificate
- NARIC comparability letter
- Life in UK test certificate

Anyone else had a similar response?

Thanks
I heard a different response. UKBA customer service said that since my degree is from overseas (India), they wanted me to get the statement of comparability and degree taught in English letter from the UK NARIC. I have also said the UKBA customer service that I have a letter from my university stating degree was taught in English, UKBA customer service said they will not consider this as an evidence as the qualification is an overseas one.

To apply for the degree taught in English - we will have to apply for English language assessment in UK NARIC. If your degree doesnt meet a c1 level, then the english language assessment will mention although the degree was taught in English the level is not c1 (Something similar to these words). I have confirmed with UK NARIC that if my degree doesnt meet the c1 level, they still issue that the degree was taught in English...

Thanks

Yash001

Post by Yash001 » Tue Oct 29, 2013 8:58 pm

I think you are worrying unnecessarily ...if you check the below section that should clarify

If you already have a qualification at B1 level
Applicants who already have an English language qualification at B1 level or above will not be required to take another one. For example, someone who demonstrated a knowledge of English equivalent to B1 level when applying for entry clearance will not be required to take a further test in order to qualify settlement.

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/sitec ... hip/kol-uk

Kirtay

Post by Kirtay » Wed Oct 30, 2013 9:52 am

tier1munda wrote:NARIC won't issue a positive comparability letter if the degree is not taught in English and it is not comparable to UK Bachelor's degree.
I have an update regarding the above statement by tier1munda. I just spoke to NARIC about Comparability and they mentioned that they can issue comparability letter regardless of language of instruction! So if I am understanding it right, they can issue comparability letter from non english degree as well from India or anywhere!

Regarding the ELA, they need a letter from Institution stating the medium of instruction. However, I had received different answer when I asked 2 weeks ago that my wife has Certificate which mentions "Medium of instruction is English", and some one said that should be fine and I don't need letter!

Moreover, UKBA is not answering any email. And I believe reply on phone is also off no use as everyone is getting different answer. You can't argue until you have something in written from them!

So I am still at same place where I was 2 weeks ago even after applying for Comparability as there is still confusion over ELA.

tier1munda
Newly Registered

Post by tier1munda » Wed Oct 30, 2013 11:23 am

hi Kirtay

Regarding ELA, do you mean to say NARIC needs letter from Univ to issue a ELA certificate or UKBA needs it?

This all is getting so confusing. Some clear guidance needs to come up really quickly.

Thanks
tier1munda

Kirtay

Post by Kirtay » Wed Oct 30, 2013 11:50 am

tier1munda wrote: Regarding ELA, do you mean to say NARIC needs letter from Univ to issue a ELA certificate or UKBA needs it?
I spoke to UK NARIC and they said they need Uni letter to issue ELA. But someone from UK NARIC mentioned 2 weeks ago that they don't need if your certificate/transcript mentions the medium of instruction.

So as you said confusing. Neither NARIC nor UKBA confirming anything on writing or replying email. It's all depending on reply from their representatives and as you can see it varies from person to person!

tier1munda
Newly Registered

Post by tier1munda » Wed Oct 30, 2013 3:54 pm

seems UKBA has now updated the following link in the set O form to have 28 October 2013 version:

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/sitec ... iew=Binary

Those who have a degree taught in english reads as below:

-------------------------

This page tells you how a person can meet the speaking and listening part of the knowledge
of language and life in the UK (KoLL) requirement by having a degree taught in English.

They must also have passed the Life in the UK test, see related link.

This part of the requirement can be met if the person:

• has an academic qualification (not a professional or vocational qualification), and
• provides appropriate evidence that the qualification was taught or researched in
English.

They do not need to show a formal speaking and listening qualification. The qualification
must be deemed by UK National Academic Recognition Information Centre (NARIC) to meet
the recognised standard of a Bachelor’s or Master’s degree or PhD in the UK.

You can accept that a person has a relevant qualification if they provide:

• A certificate issued by the academic institution showing:
o the applicant's name
o the title of award
o the date of award
o the name of the awarding institution
o that the qualification was taught in English.

If the applicant is awaiting graduation, or no longer has the certificate and cannot get a new
one, they must provide an original:

• Academic reference from the academic institution on official letter headed paper. The
reference must show:
o the applicant's name
o the title of award that the qualification was taught in English
o when the academic qualification has been, or will be awarded, and
o the date the certificate will be issued (if the applicant has not yet graduated), or
confirms the institution is unable to re-issue the original certificate of award. Or
• Academic transcript on official letter headed paper. The transcript must show:
o the applicant's name
o the name of the academic institution
o the course title
o that the qualification was taught in English
o confirmation of the award.
-----------------

Thanks

Amber
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by Amber » Wed Oct 30, 2013 4:30 pm

Thanks tier1munda I shall have a read and update accordingly.

fslateef

Post by fslateef » Wed Oct 30, 2013 4:33 pm

D4109125 wrote:Thanks tier1munda I shall have a read and update accordingly.
The link give in above post isn't taking you to 15th Aug 2013 updated document ? Means its not updated on 28th Oct 2013 ?