ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

MN1 Eligibility for child born outside UK

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

srikp

MN1 Eligibility for child born outside UK

Post by srikp » Thu Mar 28, 2013 5:59 pm

My wife and I have recently got ILR but we didn't apply it for our child thinking we could register her as a British citizen using MN1. But my child is born outside UK and currently on Tier 1 general dependent visa valid until August 2013. She is 1 year old. Is the child still eligible to apply for MN1? If not what are my other options?

Amber
Mood:
United Kingdom

Re: MN1 Eligibility for child born outside UK

Post by Amber » Thu Mar 28, 2013 7:19 pm

srikp wrote:My wife and I have recently got ILR but we didn't apply it for our child thinking we could register her as a British citizen using MN1. But my child is born outside UK and currently on Tier 1 general dependent visa valid until August 2013. She is 1 year old. Is the child still eligible to apply for MN1? If not what are my other options?
This should be in the citizenship forum. The HO has the discretion to register the child as a BC where they do not fit into another category and are not stateless. They will look at the parents immigration status and as you have ILR and you'll be going for BC and the child is 1 it is likely to succeed. http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/briti ... thercases/

vinny

Post by vinny » Thu Mar 28, 2013 11:27 pm

This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

srikp

Post by srikp » Fri Mar 29, 2013 7:48 am

Many thanks for your help.

I admit it's been a bit of an oversight not to include our daughter in our ILR.

If I have to change her status to ILR instead of citizenship, should I complete form Set (F)? I am assuming the fees would be applicable under the following category: "ILR Standard - all dependants".

vinny

Post by vinny » Fri Mar 29, 2013 8:11 am

If you have gotten ILR as a Relevant Points Based System Migrant, then I believe child may apply for SET(O) under 319J. Or, use SET(F) under 299.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.

vinny

Post by vinny » Sun Mar 31, 2013 11:02 am

srikp wrote:Do NCS accept applications where a child's citizenship registration decision is based on discretion?

If not, then can I apply directly or do I have to go through an OISC representative?

Summary of issue:
Parents on ILR and child is born outside UK and currently on Tier 1 general dependent inside UK.

http://www.immigrationboards.com/viewto ... 105#814105

Amber
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by Amber » Sun Mar 31, 2013 11:11 am

vinny wrote:
srikp wrote:Do NCS accept applications where a child's citizenship registration decision is based on discretion?

If not, then can I apply directly or do I have to go through an OISC representative?

Summary of issue:
Parents on ILR and child is born outside UK and currently on Tier 1 general dependent inside UK.

http://www.immigrationboards.com/viewto ... 105#814105
Yes they should, however, find your participating local authority http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/briti ... s_england/ contact them and ask them.

srikp

Post by srikp » Sun Mar 31, 2013 3:02 pm

Thanks very much. I'll give them a call and see how it goes.

Galaxycpw
Newly Registered

Post by Galaxycpw » Tue Apr 02, 2013 9:33 am

srikp wrote:Thanks very much. I'll give them a call and see how it goes.

Hi,

What happened to your child's MN! application? Curious to know as I am in the similar situation.

To summarize:

Father-British
Mother-ILR
Son-on ILR dependent valid till 2015

Please respond as it is very valuable to me
Thanks

srikp

Post by srikp » Tue Apr 02, 2013 9:37 am

Didn't have a chance to book an appointment yet. Hopefully sometime next week...will update the thread as soon as there's progress.

srikp

Post by srikp » Mon Oct 21, 2013 3:45 pm

Unfortunately, we received a refusal letter for our child's application today.

Is an appeal possible? Are there any other options other than applying for ILR for my child? She does not have a valid visa now, so any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Refusal text as follows:
=========
The registration of minors under this provision is at the Secretary of State's discretion. Normally, minors will be registered if, as appears in this case, neither parent is a British citizen and the minor does not appear to be settled in the UK as defined in immigration laws.
The application has nevertheless been carefully considered to see whether there was sufficient grounds for treating exceptionally. However, sufficient grounds could not be found to exercise discretion in this case. The application has therefore been refused.
========

Amber
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by Amber » Mon Oct 21, 2013 3:58 pm

You cannot appeal but you can ask for a reconsideration. It's based on discretion so. Generally, one parent will have to be a BC or at least going at the same time (which is what I originally thought you were doing). It's always worth asking for a reconsideration but you need to mount a case to show strong connections to the UK. I.e. at least one parent applying for citizenship at the same time or is British (and other parent having ILR) and child having ILR (though this is less necessary where the parent(s) are British and the child is young. However, I do not believe there is any time limit to a reconsideration request so you may be able to ask for a reconsideration when you apply for BC in March, in the mean time, get your child ILR. If you had gotten ILR for your child as per Vinny's post above and explained you were going to apply for BC as soon as eligible it might have worked, but I (wrongly) thought you were applying at the same time which would have likely proved successful.

What did the NCS say when you applied?
**this forum is not intended to be a substitute for professional advice**
Click here to send me a PM regarding an offensive post. Do NOT PM me for immigration advice.

srikp

Post by srikp » Wed Oct 23, 2013 2:45 pm

Many thanks for the information.

Just to clarify, if I apply for my child's ILR from PEO (nearest date is end of next month), I hope there would be no issue with my child not having a valid visa when applying? I hope it doesn't count towards overstaying.

I am concerned because the SET F guidance notes says:

5 WHEN TO APPLY
You should apply before the end of your permitted stay
in the UK

Amber
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by Amber » Wed Oct 23, 2013 3:35 pm

Settling under 299requires the provisions of 298to be met including 298(vi):
(vi) does not have fall for refusal under the general grounds for refusal.
Given the age of the applicant I can't envisage any issue given that 298(ii) should be satisfied as the applicant has had limited leave to enter. Though, it may be more cautious to apply by post.
**this forum is not intended to be a substitute for professional advice**
Click here to send me a PM regarding an offensive post. Do NOT PM me for immigration advice.

srikp

Post by srikp » Wed Oct 23, 2013 3:43 pm

Thanks again.

Although I have already taken a PEO appointment, do you have any thoughts if it is risky to apply in-person because potentially it may require review/further analysis? Having spent a fortune, I just want to make sure that they don't say that I will have to do a postal as it is not straightforward application.

chandu2004

Thanks

Post by chandu2004 » Wed Oct 30, 2013 10:37 am

Thanks Sri for the input we are in the same boat. Me and my wife both have ILR since 4 months and even my daughter is on ILR same like us since 4 months. My other 2 kids have British Passports as they were born in UK. My daughter 7 year old was born in NZ and she is in UK with us since 5 1/2 years and as I said she is on ILR too. What I want to know is can I apply for British Registration for my daughter with MN1 under section 3(1) right now as we are planning to send my kid back to India

Jambo
Respected Guru

Re: Thanks

Post by Jambo » Wed Oct 30, 2013 12:42 pm

chandu2004 wrote:Thanks Sri for the input we are in the same boat. Me and my wife both have ILR since 4 months and even my daughter is on ILR same like us since 4 months. My other 2 kids have British Passports as they were born in UK. My daughter 7 year old was born in NZ and she is in UK with us since 5 1/2 years and as I said she is on ILR too. What I want to know is can I apply for British Registration for my daughter with MN1 under section 3(1) right now as we are planning to send my kid back to India
For born abroad child applying under 3(1), child can only apply once a parent applies for BC.

Ayyubi72
- thin ice -

Post by Ayyubi72 » Wed Oct 30, 2013 11:36 pm

Child just over 1 year old, born outside UK and none of the parents a British citizen yet and not applying with child = guaranteed MN1 refusal.

It was an impatient, and rushed decision.

What is such an urgency that there is a need to apply for child's ILR at PEO ?

Postal application will be better, and then when parent/s apply for naturalisation then child applies together.

Cheaper, easier, headache free and guaranteed results.

happycamper19

Re:

Post by happycamper19 » Mon Feb 01, 2016 3:26 pm

Amber wrote:You cannot appeal but you can ask for a reconsideration. It's based on discretion so. Generally, one parent will have to be a BC or at least going at the same time (which is what I originally thought you were doing). It's always worth asking for a reconsideration but you need to mount a case to show strong connections to the UK. I.e. at least one parent applying for citizenship at the same time or is British (and other parent having ILR) and child having ILR (though this is less necessary where the parent(s) are British and the child is young. However, I do not believe there is any time limit to a reconsideration request so you may be able to ask for a reconsideration when you apply for BC in March, in the mean time, get your child ILR. If you had gotten ILR for your child as per Vinny's post above and explained you were going to apply for BC as soon as eligible it might have worked, but I (wrongly) thought you were applying at the same time which would have likely proved successful.

What did the NCS say when you applied?
Amber, sorry for taking you back in time to 2013. So, if at the time of OP's application for his child's registration as citizen, he himself were already a naturalised citizen, you are saying that the child's application would be successful? Am I reading this correctly?

Casa
United Kingdom

Post by Casa » Mon Feb 01, 2016 3:33 pm

You may have a long wait as Amber is rarely on the forum.
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.

agba_akin
Newly Registered

Post by agba_akin » Thu Dec 01, 2016 10:40 am

Is my daughter eligible for BC registration.She was born in nigeria in 2008 and lives with me and her mother in nigeria.She has never been to the UK in her life. As a father i acquired my BC in 2011 through naturalization after her birth and presently am thinking of bringing her to uk.Is possible to do the BC registration for her and under what sections.your advice will be appreciated.thx

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Thu Dec 01, 2016 10:47 am

agba_akin wrote:Is my daughter eligible for BC registration.She was born in nigeria in 2008 and lives with me and her mother in nigeria.She has never been to the UK in her life. As a father i acquired my BC in 2011 through naturalization after her birth and presently am thinking of bringing her to uk.Is possible to do the BC registration for her and under what sections.your advice will be appreciated.thx
Please continue in your existing topic rather than digging up an old thread that is more than 3 years old. She doesn't qualify for BC. She has to follow the same route as her mother.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Thu Dec 01, 2016 10:47 am

agba_akin wrote:Is my daughter eligible for BC registration.She was born in nigeria in 2008 and lives with me and her mother in nigeria.She has never been to the UK in her life. As a father i acquired my BC in 2011 through naturalization after her birth and presently am thinking of bringing her to uk.Is possible to do the BC registration for her and under what sections.your advice will be appreciated.thx
Please continue in your existing topic rather than digging up an old thread that is more than 3 years old. She doesn't qualify for BC. She has to follow the same route as her mother, 5 year settlement visa, then ILR and then citizenship.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.