ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

New English Language Requirement for ILR Dependent/Partner

Only for queries regarding Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR). Please use the EU Settlement Scheme forum for queries about settled status under Appendix EU

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

am1234

New English Language Requirement for ILR Dependent/Partner

Post by am1234 » Thu Sep 26, 2013 2:03 pm

Hi All,
According to the new rules I understand from 28Oct2013 partners now have to demostrate their english language ability. My partner has degree taught in english abroad and have reference letter from university stating her degree was taught in english.
My question is does she need English language Assessment from UKNARIC or Degree Certificate and Letter from university good enough to satisfy requirements. kindly help please. Thanks

Amber
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by Amber » Thu Sep 26, 2013 2:21 pm

She will need a statement of comparability (click)..

This new requirement is for settlement/naturalisation not leave to enter/remain.
**this forum is not intended to be a substitute for professional advice**
Click here to send me a PM regarding an offensive post. Do NOT PM me for immigration advice.

params0073
United Kingdom

Post by params0073 » Thu Sep 26, 2013 2:31 pm

Sorry to barge.Amber my wife has letter from college not from Uni.would that be ok or shall I try an get letter from Uni?

(She already have statement of comparability )
Param

Amber
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by Amber » Thu Sep 26, 2013 2:42 pm

The letter should be from the institution, whatever that is.
Click here to send me a PM regarding an offensive post. Do NOT PM me for immigration advice.

am1234

Post by am1234 » Thu Sep 26, 2013 2:50 pm

D4109125 wrote:She will need a statement of comparability (click)..

This new requirement is for settlement/naturalisation not leave to enter/remain.
Thanks for replying Amber. Sorry I am little confused with English Laguage Assesment and Statement of Comparibility? I thought she has to demostrate english language ability for settlement, and for that reason English Language assessment should be done? Please clarify as I am little confused.
Thanks

Amber
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by Amber » Thu Sep 26, 2013 2:56 pm

The degree must be comparable with a UK degree and taught in English.

shivcs

Post by shivcs » Thu Sep 26, 2013 3:30 pm

I too have a similar question.

I am applying for ILR (based on 5 years continuous residence on Tier 1 General) along with my wife (who on Tier 1 General - Dependent) in 2nd week of Dec 2013.

I have few questions stated below:

1) I did my masters from University of Liverpool, England through online mode and passed out in July 2013. Is this degree considered to claim points? If accepted do I have to further prove it has been taught in English?

2) If the above degree is not considered for ILR, I can use by Bachelor's degree from India. I have previously proved in the initial application and in extension that my degree education has been in English. Do I still need to prove this due to new rules in place from 28/10/2013?

3) My wife is a degree holder as well. She has both - the degree certificate and a letter from the college informing the degree was taught in English. The university is listed in the NARIC database while going through the points calculator and system did award 30 points for it. Do we still need to go for the NARIC Statement of comparability?

Kirtay

Post by Kirtay » Thu Sep 26, 2013 5:00 pm

D4109125 wrote:The degree must be comparable with a UK degree and taught in English.
Hi Guru,

If Final Marksheet/Transcript from University mentions "MEDIUM OF INSTRUCTION IS ENGLISH" in itself, will I still need a letter from institute with Naric Compatibility latter?

params0073
United Kingdom

Post by params0073 » Fri Sep 27, 2013 3:42 pm

D4109125 wrote:The letter should be from the institution, whatever that is.
Sorry to repeat again ,so letter from college is ok (as she got her degree affiliated to xyz Uni from the same college) ?

Param

Amber
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by Amber » Fri Sep 27, 2013 4:45 pm

Kirtay that should suffice, params0073 that should be ok.

karthi305
Newly Registered

Degree taught in English - Proof requirement

Post by karthi305 » Sun Sep 29, 2013 9:27 am

Hi all,
I am work permit holder, expires on Jan2014

I am also applying ILR in Dec2013, both my wife and my degree shows in PBS Point based system calculator and accepts 10 points for degree taught in English. We have got our original degree certificate as proof.

Will this be enough to prove our English knoweledge requirment part ok KOLL?

Or Do we need to get our degree authorised by Naric

We have passed LIUK test.

Any infromation would be greatly useful.

thanks
Karthik

shivcs

Post by shivcs » Sun Sep 29, 2013 11:49 am

shivcs wrote:I too have a similar question.

I am applying for ILR (based on 5 years continuous residence on Tier 1 General) along with my wife (who on Tier 1 General - Dependent) in 2nd week of Dec 2013.

I have few questions stated below:

1) I did my masters from University of Liverpool, England through online mode and passed out in July 2013. Is this degree considered to claim points? If accepted do I have to further prove it has been taught in English?

2) If the above degree is not considered for ILR, I can use by Bachelor's degree from India. I have previously proved in the initial application and in extension that my degree education has been in English. Do I still need to prove this due to new rules in place from 28/10/2013?

3) My wife is a degree holder as well. She has both - the degree certificate and a letter from the college informing the degree was taught in English. The university is listed in the NARIC database while going through the points calculator and system did award 30 points for it. Do we still need to go for the NARIC Statement of comparability?

Just to add to this:

We both have taken and passed Life in the UK test.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Amber
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by Amber » Sun Sep 29, 2013 1:43 pm

It is a statement of comparability which is important, that the degree is comparable to a UK degree, the taught in English part can be satisfied by the English Language Assessment or a letter from the institution.

shivcs

Post by shivcs » Sun Sep 29, 2013 2:02 pm

D4109125 wrote:It is a statement of comparability which is important, that the degree is comparable to a UK degree, the taught in English part can be satisfied by the English Language Assessment or a letter from the institution.
Hi D4109125,

Is Statement of Comparability required if PBS calculator lists the University name (university my wife graduated from) and allocate 30 points for it?

Amber
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by Amber » Sun Sep 29, 2013 2:19 pm

As the PBS calculator is populated by NARIC I would surmise not. However, if you did not satisfy an English Language requirement for entry clearance it is not so clear.

am1234

Post by am1234 » Mon Sep 30, 2013 10:36 am

D4109125 wrote:It is a statement of comparability which is important, that the degree is comparable to a UK degree, the taught in English part can be satisfied by the English Language Assessment or a letter from the institution.
Thanks Gurus, That makes sense, the statement of comparibilty and letter from university should be sufficient to satisfy english language requirement. I was unclear for my partners English language requirement as she did not need to satify it at the time of entry clearance. As she has got overseas degree and as per the SoR the degree must be deemed by UKNARIC. Many thanks for replying guru.

naz77

Post by naz77 » Mon Sep 30, 2013 4:02 pm

Hi Amber,

I'm due for ILR in Feb . Currently I'm on Tier 2 General and my wife is here as a PBS Dependant and she has Post Graduation from University of Madras . Does she need to appear for Knowledge of Language assessment or is there any letter from University is enough. Pls suggest

Amber
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by Amber » Mon Sep 30, 2013 4:32 pm

Post graduation as in masters? I assume she has a Bachelor's degree also?

naz77

Post by naz77 » Tue Oct 01, 2013 7:25 am

D4109125 wrote:Post graduation as in masters? I assume she has a Bachelor's degree also?
Yes, she do have a bachelor also. Pls suggest

amitpattjoshi
Newly Registered

English Language Test for ILR for Tier 1 ?

Post by amitpattjoshi » Wed Oct 23, 2013 9:49 pm

Hello Guys,

I am going for ILR on 8th Nov'2013 and want to know if anyone is going on around this October after 28th. Can you guys please update us quickly for Tier-1 what exactly they asked for and we need to be prepared for english equivalent.

As none are sure which documents other than NARIC are enough to show your proof if you are exempt ESOL.Its bit confusing if need at all as Tier 1 General.

1 ) As many has said above - I have the letter from University stating medium of Instruction of my GRADUATION Examination is in English which I submitted during my entry clearance for Tier 1 as well.

2) I have applied to NARIC for Degree Compatibility check.

3) Asked them for English Assessment as well but they said it ll take time.

Please share your experience if you have appointment soon and which ll be helpful to everyone..

Thanks,
Amit

params0073
United Kingdom

Post by params0073 » Tue Oct 29, 2013 4:40 pm

params0073 wrote:
Sorry to repeat again ,so letter from college is ok (as she got her degree affiliated to xyz Uni from the same college) ?

Param
Sorry Amber to ask same question again and again. Myself and my wife have got letter from college rather than university for medium of instruction would that be ok (college affiliated to XYX university) ?

O_Relly

Post by O_Relly » Tue Oct 29, 2013 5:02 pm

params0073 wrote:
params0073 wrote:

Param
Sorry Amber to ask same question again and again. Myself and my wife have got letter from college rather than university for medium of instruction would that be ok (college affiliated to XYX university) ?
D4109125 wrote:Kirtay that should suffice, params0073 that should be ok.

am1234

Re: English Language Test for ILR for Tier 1 ?

Post by am1234 » Tue Oct 29, 2013 5:07 pm

Hi Amit

I am applying on 22 Nov. I have applied for statement of comparibility from UKNARIC for english language assessment. My partner has degree taugh from india so i have to had statement of comparibility and letter from university stating that degree was taught in english.
I am was also looking for update from people applying after 28 oct! hope somebody will post their experience.

Thanks
Amar

params0073
United Kingdom

Post by params0073 » Wed Oct 30, 2013 5:14 pm

Hi,
http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/sitec ... iew=Binary

• A certificate issued by the academic institution showing:
o the applicant's name
o the title of award
o the date of award
o the name of the awarding institution
o that the qualification was taught in English.

Just a small doubt. My wife certificate which is issued by her college states her degree of award as 'BSc in Mathematics’ rather then bachelor of Science in Mathematics' .

What I mean in the certificate its written BSc rather then Bachelor of Science. Would that be ok?

Thanks

Paranm

params0073
United Kingdom

Post by params0073 » Thu Oct 31, 2013 9:42 am

Any one ?

Param