ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Further guidance on new B1 English Requirement

Only for queries regarding Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR). Please use the EU Settlement Scheme forum for queries about settled status under Appendix EU

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

samira_uk
BANNED

Post by samira_uk » Thu Oct 31, 2013 4:28 pm

I guess there is a kind of inconsistency between the rules and the forms.

In Appendix KoLL paragraph 2.2(b) it is mentioned:
(b) the applicant-

(i ) has limited leave to enter or remain in the UK, and

(ii) that leave (or a grant of leave which preceded it provided any periods of leave since have been unbroken) was given on the basis that the applicant had an English language qualification at a minimum level of B1 on the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages.

It clearly implies that for example Tier 1 General migrants do not need to pass a new test or submit any documents for that.

But in the application form SET(O) there is no option for this provision and you have to tick one of the documents!

john353

Post by john353 » Thu Oct 31, 2013 5:17 pm

Samira, I agree with you. Tier 1 gen and Tier 2 gen main applicants need not provide any naric certificate based on the immigration rules as in 2.2 b.

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/polic ... endixkoll/

Hope they update the forms soon.

At least we now have answers for the two questions in writing wrt, degree taught in english & exemption for those who met B1 at EC in the immigration rules and ILR guidance respectively for ILR purposes. Hope all agree.

Koomal
Newly Registered

Post by Koomal » Tue Nov 05, 2013 8:52 am

This is My Old Query

Dear All ,

Need your Help Please.

My Husband got his ILR , now I have to apply for FLR(m) and then SET(m).

I have to pass the English test.

for FLR(m) they are asking A1 on the CEFR / ESOL Entry 1

for SET(m) B1 on the CEFR / ESOL Entry 3

My query is If I pass the B1 on the CEFR / ESOL Entry 3

which is higher than A1 ,
Can I use the B1 certificate for both FLR(m) and SET(m)?

just to save money and time.

Many Thanks in advance for your Help.

Regards
Koomal

nrcpn
Newly Registered

Post by nrcpn » Thu Nov 21, 2013 12:38 am

Hi all,

I will apply for naturalisation next month. I think I read all the guidelines and in particular all documentation on the new KoLL requirements but I am still a bit confused with the following

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/sitec ... hip/kol-uk

"Applicants who already have an English language qualification at B1 level or above will not be required to take another one. For example, someone who demonstrated a knowledge of English equivalent to B1 level when applying for entry clearance will not be required to take a further test in order to qualify settlement."

Right, here is my case. I was granted ILR last year and there were no language requirements, but I have previously demonstrated knowledge of English back in 2009 when I applied for Tier 2. Just for that appliation I passed the Test in English for International Students (TEIS) with a score above B1.

Now the problem is that UKBA dropped TEIS from its accepted qualifications list http://www.foreignersinuk.co.uk/legal_n ... _1571.html

Now I am not sure whether I should take a new test or not?? I have clearly fulfilled this requirement in the past but the current naturalisation application requires a 'valid' test certificate as part of the supporting documents

I'd really appreciate if anyone can help me or at leas give me a UKBA number that I can ring to explain this situation

Thanks a lot

Amber
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by Amber » Thu Nov 21, 2013 6:45 am

The fact you satisfied a B1 EC requirement should suffice. Moreover, do you have a degree taught in English?
**this forum is not intended to be a substitute for professional advice**
Click here to send me a PM regarding an offensive post. Do NOT PM me for immigration advice.

nrcpn
Newly Registered

Post by nrcpn » Thu Nov 21, 2013 10:09 am

D4109125 wrote:The fact you satisfied a B1 EC requirement should suffice. Moreover, do you have a degree taught in English?
Thanks for your help

No , I don't have a degree in English

Is there a HO number that I can ring?... just to make sure

RoyW
Newly Registered

Re: Further guidance on new B1 English Requirement

Post by RoyW » Thu Feb 13, 2014 3:41 pm

Hello everyone!
I need your help. I have now indefinite leave to remain visa and want to apply for UK citizenship in October 2014. I passed Life in the UK test in May 2013. As I understand, I don't need to pass that test again, but don't understand: do I have to pass the new part of the test which is Speaking and Listening? I also have a citizenship of USA (English speaking country) and Ukraine, but for my present visa I applied as an Ukrainian citizen.
Thank you

aziqbal

Post by aziqbal » Thu Feb 13, 2014 4:07 pm

So is the IETLS test ok to do to get B1 level under CEFR?

Also there is two types of IELTS test one is general and other is academic which one do you use when applying for indefinate leave??
25/04/2011 applied 15/07/2011 Refused
28/09/2011 Acknowledgement Letter received
13/04/2012 Court hearing decision overturned
25/05/12 Call letter recieved
30/05/12 Passport submitted
08/06/12 Passport stamped and returned

ilrtier1genral

Post by ilrtier1genral » Thu Feb 13, 2014 5:40 pm

Hi All,

Is degree from India in English Medium acceptable for b1 requirement?

Thanks

ilrtier1genral

Post by ilrtier1genral » Thu Feb 13, 2014 5:40 pm

Hi All,

Is degree from India in English Medium acceptable for b1 requirement?

Thanks

abBY20

Post by abBY20 » Sun Jan 04, 2015 3:40 pm

Hello all,
I have an NCS appointment next week and its so frustrating that am just getting to hear about language requirement
My degree is not from uk uni but I have a certificate on ecdl extra(level2 in spreadsheet, word excel,presentation and database) all from learn direct uk regulated by OFGUAL
Please will this be ok for me with link in support of my application
Every advice welcome
Thanks all

AmirPR
Newly Registered

Post by AmirPR » Thu Jun 25, 2015 1:46 pm

Hi everyone

I am SOOO confused here, so much info and I'm finding it hard to follow which one is correct! Can someone help?

Ive lived in the UK for 22 years and got my GCSE's, A levels, a Foundation Science degree from the University of Norwich and a BSc degree in Economics from the University of Surrey.

I understand that if you have a degree from the UK you don't need to take this test, however, I still owe some University fees that I am paying off monthly (for my BsC degree), and they won't give my certificate until that is cleared, which won't be for another couple of years, so I can't use that. Will they accept a breakdown of my results in all of my modules for the final year of my degree?

If not , can I use my Foundation Science degree? Or will I have to end up booking one of those ESOL tests? I really don't want to pay £150 if i don't have to.

I hope someone can advise me, thank you for taking the time to read.