ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

New AN form, requirement not as per statement of intent

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

tipu20

New AN form, requirement not as per statement of intent

Post by tipu20 » Tue Oct 29, 2013 6:17 pm

Hi All,

I noticed that new AN form are not matching what was statement of intent e.g in http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/sitec ... hip/kol-uk on page 3 suggest that you don't need to provide another test to prove listening and speaking capability at B1 level if you have already done so at the time of EC. I don't see such a an option in updated AN Form.

Anyone know how to get this clarified by home e.g some phone number of e-mail ? or have a link on what actually was approved in parliament ?

from above link

If you already have a qualification at B1 level
Applicants who already have an English language qualification at B1 level or above will not be required to take another one. For example, someone who demonstrated a knowledge of English equivalent to B1 level when applying for entry clearance will not be required to take a further test in order to qualify settlement.

Regards,
Tipu

Amber
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by Amber » Tue Oct 29, 2013 6:23 pm

**this forum is not intended to be a substitute for professional advice**
Click here to send me a PM regarding an offensive post. Do NOT PM me for immigration advice.

tipu20

Post by tipu20 » Wed Oct 30, 2013 7:03 am

Thanks for the address, sent the e-mail and will keep this thread updated with the outcome.

InUkOnHsmp
United Kingdom

Post by InUkOnHsmp » Wed Oct 30, 2013 10:52 am

Thanks Tipu, like you said do keep all of us updated about what they say, I am sure most members are in the same dilemma now.
Challenges make life worth it!

tipu20

Post by tipu20 » Thu Oct 31, 2013 10:56 am

InUkOnHsmp wrote:Thanks Tipu, like you said do keep all of us updated about what they say, I am sure most members are in the same dilemma now.

I have contacted the HO on 0870 606 7766 and Call centre worker agree that form should have an option to suggest that "i have already proved english at B1 level or higher at the time of E.C or earlier HO application" and engaging the owner of AN form to review this.

For now you can write this information in additional information section when applying.

No reply to e-mail yet. I will suggest everyone who have question write them in e-mail, so they work on clarifying this situation.

Hope this helps.

Tipu

coolbuddy

Post by coolbuddy » Fri Nov 01, 2013 8:45 am

Hi All,

I am also applying naturalization at NCS next Monday and haven't taken any test. Will it be okay as I have met the english knowledge test at the time of entry clearance? or may I reschedule my appointment with NCS and apply for UK NARIC comparability and language assessment?

A quick response will be highly appreciated, please.

tipu20

Post by tipu20 » Fri Nov 01, 2013 1:47 pm

Here is the reply from Nationality Team.

NOTE: i have removed the personal information.

------------------------------------------

Thank you for your enquiry regarding the revised knowledge of Language and Life in the UK requirement that came in to force on 28th October 2013.

As you correctly state, those who have already achieved an English Language qualification at B1 level or above will not be required to take another one in support of their application for citizenship.

Applicants who provided an English Language qualification at B1 level or above at the time of entry clearance should tick the box at section 1.22 of the Form AN which states:

“I have a speaking and listening qualification in English at B1 CEFR or higher, or an equivalent level qualification”.

Evidence of this qualification should be enclosed with the Form AN.

Such applicants will however, need to pass the Life in the UK test in order to demonstrate their knowledge of life in the UK.

Regards

-------------------------------------------------

i have asked them to clarify further

--------

Thanks you for your prompt reply. I am sure that immigration record held in personal file at UK Border agency for applicant should have the necessary proof to suggest that, applicant has provided the qualification in the past e.g at the time of entry clearance or at the time of settlement application , in such a case why it's required that applicant provide the evidence of the same once again ? bearing in mind that qualification which was submitted 6 years ago might have expired and i am sure there will be others who might have completely lost it in the last 6 year.

I think there should be a separate option in the form/guidance to deal with these scenarios, e.g in old settlement form there was an option to say "I have already provided english qualification at the time of entry clearance and no further evidence was required.

Can you clarify if expired certificate will be accepted and if you need the original or photocopy will be sufficient ?
if someone have lost this qualification and only have a photocopy, can that be provided along with application after selecting 1.22 option ?

-------

NOTE: Above is not an immigration/legal advise and is for Information only

InUkOnHsmp
United Kingdom

Post by InUkOnHsmp » Fri Nov 01, 2013 2:36 pm

Hi Tipu20,

Thats great news, thanks for putting this on the forum.

I emailed them about the same and they have not responded to me :(.

But it does look like it is safe to tick the option mentioned and taking a B1 CEFR level test may not be required after all.

Regards

coolbuddy

Post by coolbuddy » Fri Nov 01, 2013 2:45 pm

Thanks tipu20.

A bit relieved now. I m going with my current NCS apointment which is on 4th and let you inform about outcome. Hopefully I won't lose my money with NCS :( and the application will go through without any further queries.....

InUkOnHsmp
United Kingdom

Post by InUkOnHsmp » Fri Nov 01, 2013 2:54 pm

Coolbuddy, not to dishearten you, but the real news will be when one of us gets approved with the older B1 test results, etc.

NCS just check the document, even if they accept your application, the decision of a particular case would be at the discretion of the case-worker I am afraid.

It is for this reason that I am still in half a mind to go ahead and take the IELTS just to be sure.

humanvoid

Post by humanvoid » Fri Nov 01, 2013 5:22 pm

I think HO deliberately keeps us in the dark to make things "easy" for us, same old, same old.

Thanks for email, I'll be dropping another one too touching upon non-sense minimum grade requirements in http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/sitec ... -tests.pdf

Pqek

Post by Pqek » Fri Nov 01, 2013 7:17 pm

InUkOnHsmp wrote: It is for this reason that I am still in half a mind to go ahead and take the IELTS just to be sure.
My advise is just take IELTS and then you are sure. £125.00 in the big scheme of how much you have spent on this is not too much.

I just did that, I took IELTS in 2010 to renew my T2 ICT for more than 3 years, so based on the initial statement I should have been ok as I have already demonstrated my English knowledge previously. however, not wanting to leave anything on discretion of a caseworker, I repeated my IELTS, mainly due to the 2 years validity clause.

I'm now just awaiting patiently for approval knowing I'm hundred percent covered on HO requirements.

HSMPLOCHA

Post by HSMPLOCHA » Sun Nov 03, 2013 9:59 pm

I submitted my overseas letter that the medium of instruction is English and the NCS at Enfield asked me to explain that in the notes on page 15 where the is a lot of space for explanation.

Ranim
Newly Registered

Using Expired IELTS for Citizenship: Reply from HO

Post by Ranim » Mon Nov 04, 2013 12:31 pm

Hi all
I emailed nationalitypolicyteam.liverpool@homeoffice.gsi.gov.uk to enquire if I could use my 2006 IELTS certificate as an evidence of spoken and listening requirement and here is the reponse from (I remove the name responding advisor)
Nationality Policy Advisor | Operational Policy & Rules Unit
Immigration & Border Policy | Home Office
Home Office, The Capital, Old Hall Street, Liverpool, L3 9PP.:

An IELTS (International English Language Testing System) qualification awarded by Cambridge English (previously known as Cambridge ESOL), which is at a level equivalent to level B1 CEFR or above, is an acceptable qualification for the purposes of demonstrating language ability for citizenship purposes.

Please note that the 2 year validity attached to these qualifications only applies to entry clearance applications and are therefore still accepted for citizenship applications after this validity date.

Evidence that you have achieved this qualification should be submitted with your application for British citizenship.

Hope this helps those uncertian about using their expired IELTS certificate

humanvoid

Re: Using Expired IELTS for Citizenship: Reply from HO

Post by humanvoid » Mon Nov 04, 2013 12:36 pm

Ranim wrote: Please note that the 2 year validity attached to these qualifications only applies to entry clearance applications and are therefore still accepted for citizenship applications after this validity date.

Thanks Ramin for posting response, it certainly makes things clear now.

tipu20

Re: Using Expired IELTS for Citizenship: Reply from HO

Post by tipu20 » Mon Nov 04, 2013 6:24 pm

Hi Ranim,

Did you used the same IETS certificate at time of entry clearance ?

Tipu
Ranim wrote:Hi all
I emailed nationalitypolicyteam.liverpool@homeoffice.gsi.gov.uk to enquire if I could use my 2006 IELTS certificate as an evidence of spoken and listening requirement and here is the reponse from (I remove the name responding advisor)
Nationality Policy Advisor | Operational Policy & Rules Unit
Immigration & Border Policy | Home Office
Home Office, The Capital, Old Hall Street, Liverpool, L3 9PP.:

An IELTS (International English Language Testing System) qualification awarded by Cambridge English (previously known as Cambridge ESOL), which is at a level equivalent to level B1 CEFR or above, is an acceptable qualification for the purposes of demonstrating language ability for citizenship purposes.

Please note that the 2 year validity attached to these qualifications only applies to entry clearance applications and are therefore still accepted for citizenship applications after this validity date.

Evidence that you have achieved this qualification should be submitted with your application for British citizenship.

Ranim
Newly Registered

Post by Ranim » Tue Nov 05, 2013 8:34 am

@Tipu
Yes I used the same IELTS for my HSMP entry clearance in 2007 and am going to use it it again for my british passport application next week.

tipu20

Post by tipu20 » Tue Nov 05, 2013 2:51 pm

Ranim wrote:@Tipu
Yes I used the same IELTS for my HSMP entry clearance in 2007 and am going to use it it again for my british passport application next week.

So it's mean that if an IELTS certificate (B1 Level or Above) was provided to gain entry clearance and it has now expired, then it can be used to satisfy the requirements.

I wonder if someone have an IELTS certificate which was never provided to home office at the time of entry clearance, if that will still satisfy the requirement ?

waiting for reply from home office.