ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Surrendering UK citizenship to avoid NRI quota in India

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

Ashwin G
Newly Registered

Surrendering UK citizenship to avoid NRI quota in India

Post by Ashwin G » Tue Oct 29, 2013 4:01 pm

Hi All,
I am currently settled in UK on tier 1 and would get an ILR later this year, My daughter was born earlier this year in the UK and I have got her an Indian passport for now, however I plan to apply for her UK passport once I get my ILR later this year.

I was looking for advice on keeping an option of going back to India open, in case I get her a UK citizenship and then decide to go back to India for her education -

1) Would I need to pay NRI fees at schools and universities, are there any hard and fast rules

2) If we keep her UK citizenship and she completes her schooling in India, would she have any advantage if she likes to come to UK for higher studies - lower fees or easier admission

3) and most importantly - what is the current process for surrendering the UK citizenship and getting an Indian citizenship, is it straightforward to get an Indian citizenship?

Would be great if you may suggest your views and experiences.

Many Thanks,
Ashwin

InUkOnHsmp
United Kingdom

Post by InUkOnHsmp » Tue Oct 29, 2013 4:16 pm

1) Would I need to pay NRI fees at schools and universities, are there any hard and fast rules

For schools no, for universities, depending on location. I enquired in Pune university, and they said there are 15% quota reserved for PIOs, and the fees is 5 times the regular fee.
2) If we keep her UK citizenship and she completes her schooling in India, would she have any advantage if she likes to come to UK for higher studies - lower fees or easier admission
Yes, lower fees, but most universities have a residence requirement before she will qualify for local fees. Please count in at least 3 years, may be more. Easier admission, not sure.
3) and most importantly - what is the current process for surrendering the UK citizenship and getting an Indian citizenship, is it straightforward to get an Indian citizenship?
You wont be able to surrender her UK citizenship till she is 18 years of age. For yourself and wife, you can do that once you are in India for 5 years, the last one year of the 5 should be spend entirely in India.

I was facing the same questions last year, and decided to go for my daughters citizenship, as quite simply, with that she would have an option to decide what to do, once she becomes old enough to understand what she wants in life. If she was Indian, coming back to UK to study/work, would be as tough as it was for us.

Senior members, thoughts welcome!
Challenges make life worth it!

forbc123

Re: Surrendering UK citizenship to avoid NRI quota in India

Post by forbc123 » Tue Oct 29, 2013 4:21 pm

Ashwin G wrote:Hi All,
I am currently settled in UK on tier 1 and would get an ILR later this year, My daughter was born earlier this year in the UK and I have got her an Indian passport for now, however I plan to apply for her UK passport once I get my ILR later this year.

I was looking for advice on keeping an option of going back to India open, in case I get her a UK citizenship and then decide to go back to India for her education -

Would be great if you may suggest your views and experiences.

Many Thanks,
Ashwin

As far I know from a friend, if your child gains BC now, your child cannot be naturalized back to Indian citizenship till she/he turns 18, check HCI London website

If she comes back - she would be having an advantage but these days many come to UK for studies and fees is more or less the same

Ashwin G
Newly Registered

Post by Ashwin G » Fri Nov 01, 2013 9:24 pm

forbc123/ InUkOnHsmp - Many thanks for your replies!!
Other option I could think of is to get an ILR for myself and dependent for my daughter, later I can get the citizenship and she can stay as dependent.

Then in few years time if we decide that we need a UK citizenship for her - I think it would be easy to shift considering I would be a UK citizen and she was born in the UK (don't think rules would change so drastically not to allow her citizenship)

Does it sound feasible to you?

Thanks again!

HSMPLOCHA

Post by HSMPLOCHA » Fri Nov 01, 2013 10:43 pm

I think the most important question you should ask yourself is

1. How your indecisiveness will affect your child. Adjusting to a different culture is not that easy and children like to have an environment that they are comfortable with.

2. Build your pros and cons as you know best your personal circumstances and weigh them out. Schooling is just one. As long as the mother retains her citizenship returning back for the child should not be a problem in my view.