ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Married name added on ILR card

Only for queries regarding Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR). Please use the EU Settlement Scheme forum for queries about settled status under Appendix EU

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

bellasingleton
Newly Registered

Post by bellasingleton » Fri Nov 01, 2013 8:28 pm

Could anyone give me some guidance, please...

I am Brazilian, married with a British Citizen.

I have received my ILR last year but because my passport has my maiden name on it, even thought when I applied I signed my married name and asked for it on my ILR card, the Home Office sent me the card with my maiden name, the name which is on my passport.

As in the UK we just need the marriage certificate to prove that you adopted your husband's name, that is what I'm doing, so I've got statements, payslips, nhs card, all letters with my married name.

But to have my married name on my Brazilian passport I have to go to my country's consulate to register my marriage and bring a document with a photo produced by local authority. The only document I have is my ILR card because I haven't got a driving license and I think because my passport has my maiden name on it the license will come with it as well.

My question is:
Does anyone know if the home office would change my ILR card with my maiden name for one with my married name even though my Brazilian passport has my maiden name on it?

I want to apply for British Citizenship but would like to have my married name on my British passport...

Thank you for any reply

All the best

Bella

akhan25

Post by akhan25 » Sat Nov 02, 2013 12:50 am

You can put ur married name on ur driving license application and sent ur marriage certificate with ur application they will aend it on ur married name then use that to ur country consulate to change your name on your passport. And if ur driving licence come on ur maiden name then there is a name change procedure on it to send it back only with your marriage certificate needed that way u will get ur licence on ur married name.

bellasingleton
Newly Registered

Post by bellasingleton » Sat Nov 02, 2013 11:09 am

Thank you for your reply but I haven't got a driving license...the only document with ID is my ILR. I am not planning to get a driving licence at the moment, I just mention it as an example. I want to know if the Home Office would change my ILR card's surname, please.

Thank you again

Bella

askmeplz82
Diamond Member

Re: Married name added on ILR card

Post by askmeplz82 » Sat Nov 02, 2013 11:49 am

bellasingleton wrote:Thank you for your reply but I haven't got a driving license...the only document with ID is my ILR. I am not planning to get a driving licence at the moment, I just mention it as an example. I want to know if the Home Office would change my ILR card's surname, please.

Thank you again

Bella
It cost £50 only for provisional driving license ; you can get that without any driving lesson

https://www.gov.uk/apply-first-provisio ... ng-licence
UK Student Visa : 04/2004 - 09/2009
EEA Residence Card : 07/2010 - 7/2015
EU Settled Status: Confirmed on 16th July 2019
Naturalisation : Confirmed on 02nd Oct 2020
Passport Approval : 21st Feb 2021

bellasingleton
Newly Registered

Re: Married name added on ILR card

Post by bellasingleton » Sat Nov 02, 2013 1:53 pm

Thank you for your reply!

It will be great if I can use it but I'm searching on line and there are many people saying I won't be able to use the provisional driving license as a proof of ID. People use it for simple things but they're saying for complex things, like using it for bank purposes it's not possible. I'm afraid the Brazilian consulate will refuse it as well.
That's my only concern now...

nolada

Post by nolada » Sat Nov 02, 2013 2:24 pm

Home office issue the card according to your name on passport some countries you can't change your name even after getting married ..

bellasingleton
Newly Registered

Post by bellasingleton » Sat Nov 02, 2013 2:46 pm

Thank you for your reply

So does it mean even I'm married I won't be able to have my husband's surname on my ILR card because my passport has my maiden name on it?

It also means I won't be able to have my husband's surname on my British passport! I just want to sort out the surname to send my application form.

That's very sad indeed.
I just wanted to have my name, my full name in all my documents, UK in my country now, I live and love this place and would like to be know for just one full name not 2(maiden and married).

nolada

Post by nolada » Sat Nov 02, 2013 3:02 pm

U cam change any paper work in UK with your marriage certificate so when its time for your passport so your husband sure name will b used.. Your passport and the ard just when you are travelling in the UK you can use driving licence as id and no one will know about any other names you don't like .. Enjoy your life with any name you like

bellasingleton
Newly Registered

Post by bellasingleton » Sat Nov 02, 2013 3:22 pm

Thank you for your reply

Yes, I can change my name in everything but not in my Brazilian passport because I need an English ID with my married name on it. I cannot have an English ID because my passport is in my maiden name, in other words, I'm between a rock and a hard place! I just do not know what to do!

nolada

Post by nolada » Sat Nov 02, 2013 4:15 pm

No problem at all, DVLA will ask for passport and your right to live in the UK so will you will get your documents back with your provisional licence, fill another application and ask for change your name with your marriage certificate then you will get them back with your new name on it.. I know sounds silly and long process but this is DVLA take step a time
Last edited by nolada on Sun Nov 03, 2013 6:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

bellasingleton
Newly Registered

Post by bellasingleton » Sat Nov 02, 2013 4:40 pm

I believe that's the only way to sort it out, hopefully.

Thank you very much!

:D

marianam
Newly Registered

Same issue here

Post by marianam » Mon Nov 04, 2013 6:51 pm

Hello bellasingleton,

I'm having the same issue and I'm wondering if you could get this sorted somehow. Did the consulate accept the provisional licence? Or, any other document they accepted?

Many thanks,

Mariana

bellasingleton
Newly Registered

Re: Same issue here

Post by bellasingleton » Mon Nov 04, 2013 7:56 pm

Hello Mariana

I haven't asked the consulate about the provisional yet. I've been there last week and it was very hard to get someone to explain anything because they just want to attend people by appointment, even just for information. I just found out about the provisional last weekend, here.

If you find out anything can you let me know, please?

Good luck!

Bella

marianam
Newly Registered

provisional licence

Post by marianam » Mon Nov 04, 2013 8:05 pm

Hi Bella,

I got a reply from them today saying they don't accept provisional driving licence.

This is what they replied:
"Documentos oficiais são emitidos por órgão de registro civil, tais como certidões civis de casamento ou de nascimento nas quais já conste a alteração de nome, ou documentos emitidos por órgão de identificação, como, por exemplo, passaporte válido de alguma outra nacionalidade que a senhora possua, carteira de identidade estrangeira emitida por órgão competente ou carteira de habilitação britânica (full driving licence, carteira provisória não é aceita). Documentos de empresas particulares, que não são emitidos por órgãos do poder público, não são aceitos para comprovação de mudança de nome."

I've now asked if they accept the Police Registration certificate. This is my hope. Otherwise, I'll probably need to do the driving test.

Cheers,

Mariana

bellasingleton
Newly Registered

Re: provisional licence

Post by bellasingleton » Mon Nov 04, 2013 8:28 pm

Hi Mariana

That's was a very quick response!

Well I really thought they wouldn't accept the provisional...
My police registration is also with my maiden name, would be great if they accept it, I could try to change it...

Apart from the driving full licence, the only other way would be going to Brazil, with your husband and do everything there(if you have time and money...!!!)

Have you got your ILR already?

Please let me know the answer about the police registration.

Thanks

Bella