ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Can non-EEA family members fly in and out of Heathrow?

Use this section for any queries concerning the EU Settlement Scheme, for applicants holding pre-settled and settled status.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

frustratedbrit

Can non-EEA family members fly in and out of Heathrow?

Post by frustratedbrit » Sat Nov 02, 2013 6:57 pm

I am a British citizen using the Surinder Singh route to bring my non-EEA family members (wife and stepson) into the UK. We are currently living in Holland, and still waiting from the Dutch Immigration Authority (the IND) to process my wife and stepson's applications for verification against EU law for their right to reside in Holland. I had no idea that the process would take as long as it has. We moved over in mid July, but it was late August when their applicaiton was accepted. They "guarantee" to process the applications within 3 months, but apparently leave it to the last few days to tell us their decision, so we expect to hear in the last week in November. We expect the application to be successful, in which case we then apply for EEA Family Permits for the UK.

We will be travelling to my wife's country over the Christmas period. Originally we planned to be back in the UK for December, but I'm not at all sure that all the paperwork (including EEA Family Permit) will be ready for us by then. If it's not ready, what we would want to do is fly to a UK airport from Holland, and fly on from the same airport to my wife's country. This would give me and my daughter (who is British) an opportunity to go through passport control to spend a few hours with my mother, who hasn't seen us since July.

My question is this: would my wife and stepson be allowed to fly in and out of an airport in this way, staying in the transfers part of the airport because they don't have EEA Family Permits yet, or would they get grief at the airport in Holland (or the UK)?

Jambo
Respected Guru

Post by Jambo » Sat Nov 02, 2013 9:58 pm

Have you read the EEA FAQs - Common Questions - Read before posting - Surinder Singh? A residence card in the Netherlands is not required for EEA FP.

As your wife is a visa national she will need a transit visa to transit via the UK unless she will hold a Dutch Residence Card by then (this will exempt her from the visa requirement).

fysicus
Netherlands

Post by fysicus » Sun Nov 03, 2013 1:25 pm

Not all visa nationals need a DATV: see http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/visas ... t-airside/ for detailed information

askmeplz82
Diamond Member

Post by askmeplz82 » Sun Nov 03, 2013 3:53 pm

fysicus wrote:Not all visa nationals need a DATV: see http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/visas ... t-airside/ for detailed information
Vietnamese national need a DATV
UK Student Visa : 04/2004 - 09/2009
EEA Residence Card : 07/2010 - 7/2015
EU Settled Status: Confirmed on 16th July 2019
Naturalisation : Confirmed on 02nd Oct 2020
Passport Approval : 21st Feb 2021