ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

ILR

Only for queries regarding Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR). Please use the EU Settlement Scheme forum for queries about settled status under Appendix EU

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

springdales
Newly Registered

ILR

Post by springdales » Sun Nov 03, 2013 8:23 pm

Hi Guys,

I am currently residing in the UK since Sept 2005 and eligible for ILR 10 yrs under the long residency route. I have completed 8 years in the UK and I will apply for ILR in Aug 2015. At the moment I am pursuing Phd in International Business from Brunel University. I am spending full international fee to the university, as I am not getting any funding. I am applying for Management roles in India as well, and part time roles in UK.

Just wondering if it is worth spending 2 more years in UK for an ILR an pay the full fee on Phd programme, or go back to India and look for jobs there (apparently I am unsuccessful in securing jobs in India from UK).

Thanks in advance,
Saurabh

sheraz7
Respected Guru

Post by sheraz7 » Sun Nov 03, 2013 8:48 pm

It totally depends on an individual circumstances/budget but the frequency and the scale of changes in relation to tier 4 visa must always be kept in mind. But generally a fully completed phd from uk university is a valuable life asset with much larger opportunities locally and internationally.
Please donot send PM. Write in open forum to facilitate others too.
REGARDS

springdales
Newly Registered

ILR

Post by springdales » Mon Nov 04, 2013 7:17 am

Hi Guys,

Thanks for your reply. I was wondering what career opportunities are available after doing a Phd in International Business, from a UK university. I am particularly interested in industry research, or setting up my own business (after gaining some good experience), or working as an consultant (International Business). I do not particularly enjoy academic research & teaching. I have my BA(Hons) Business Studies, Msc International Management from Nottingham Trent and Strathclyde.

Any advice on this would be much appreciated. Is it still wise to continue Phd, after having ironed out where I want to do in the future.

Thanks in advance,
Saurabh.

askmeplz82
Diamond Member

Re: ILR

Post by askmeplz82 » Mon Nov 04, 2013 7:25 am

springdales wrote:Hi Guys,

Thanks for your reply. I was wondering what career opportunities are available after doing a Phd in International Business, from a UK university. I am particularly interested in industry research, or setting up my own business (after gaining some good experience), or working as an consultant (International Business). I do not particularly enjoy academic research & teaching. I have my BA(Hons) Business Studies, Msc International Management from Nottingham Trent and Strathclyde.

Any advice on this would be much appreciated. Is it still wise to continue Phd, after having ironed out where I want to do in the future.

Thanks in advance,
Saurabh.

Well i would advise you to stay for 3 reasons.

- after ILR you can apply for BC . don't know about your country India but in my country even with the same qualification a British or US citizen get double salary then local citizen and free housing and other benefit

- if you have ILR you can continue to stay in INDIA but come back for holiday in the UK or If in INDIA you are not that successful you can try your luck in the UK

- If you have children in the future and if they become BC then they will pay Home student fees if they study in the UK
UK Student Visa : 04/2004 - 09/2009
EEA Residence Card : 07/2010 - 7/2015
EU Settled Status: Confirmed on 16th July 2019
Naturalisation : Confirmed on 02nd Oct 2020
Passport Approval : 21st Feb 2021