ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Passport renewal query - Spouse information

Archived UK Tier 1 (General) points system forum. This route no longer exists.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

Anndeep

Passport renewal query - Spouse information

Post by Anndeep » Mon Nov 04, 2013 3:29 pm

I am due to renew my passport next week. I got married in 2011 but separated with spouse recently. I have not changed my name do I still need to mention spouse name on the passport form? (I was going to leave it blank but it says not to suppress marital information). I dont want spouse name on my passport and then get it removed again after divorce.
Please can you help with advice.

O_Relly

Post by O_Relly » Mon Nov 04, 2013 5:30 pm

You have not mentioned which country passport you are applying for. Also, just mentioning your spouse's name in the application form, does not mean, they will enter your spouses name in your new passport.

You will have to provide evidence of spouse's passport, original marriage certificate etc.

Anndeep

passport

Post by Anndeep » Mon Nov 04, 2013 5:37 pm

I am applying for renewal of Indian passport. So if I mention spouse name it is not necessary they will mention in passport. i am very worried

O_Relly

Post by O_Relly » Mon Nov 04, 2013 6:23 pm

Nope they will not unless you provide documentary evidence of proof of marriage, such as marriage certificate.

Please see 2(e),

Anndeep

passport

Post by Anndeep » Mon Nov 04, 2013 7:15 pm

So should I mention his name in passport form or just leave it blank. Please advice.

Anndeep

processing time passport renewal

Post by Anndeep » Mon Nov 04, 2013 7:22 pm

How much time does Indian High Commission take to renew currently valid passport?

O_Relly

Post by O_Relly » Mon Nov 04, 2013 7:48 pm

Yes, you should mention his name, as you have rightly stated, you shouldn't suppress any marital information.

The timeline if you apply at HCI London, is 1 weekm if your current passport is a MRP (Machine Readable Passport). ie., if all information such name and address details are all machine printed, and if they are non-MRP, ie., hand written, then could take about 2 weeks.

Anndeep

passport

Post by Anndeep » Mon Nov 04, 2013 7:52 pm

Thanks for the responses. If I mention spouse name how do I tell them not to include it in the passport (as it has never been on current passport and I have also not changed my name after marriage)

Anndeep

passport

Post by Anndeep » Mon Nov 04, 2013 7:54 pm

If I mention spouse name will they ask me for marriage certificate or just accept the form as it is and not ask any questions

O_Relly

Post by O_Relly » Mon Nov 04, 2013 8:28 pm

When they see that you have mentioned your spouse name in the application form, they will ask you if you want it included in your passport, and if the answer is yes, then they will ask you for copies of spouse's passport and original marriage certificate. They will not include spouse's name if you fail to provide this.

When I applied for my passport renewal, I included my spouses name as part of filling up the application form, without giving it much thought. At the time of submitting my application, I was asked the same question, and although I was interested in having my spouses name included, they didn't do it, as at the time, I was not carrying my original marriage certificate. (although I had copies of my spouses passport and copies of marriage certificate)

Anndeep

passport

Post by Anndeep » Mon Nov 04, 2013 8:44 pm

I see. Many thanks for all your assistance. I really appreciate it.

So when they ask if I would like spouse name to be included and I say NO then they wont bother asking any further questions right? Do I still need to take marriage certificate and copy of spouse passport?

Anndeep

passport renewal query

Post by Anndeep » Tue Nov 05, 2013 9:39 am

I am applying for renewal of passport at Indian High Commission (London) tomorrow. My passport is currently valid so i am applying to reissue within one year validity. The form says (Ques 20: is this application for a passport for the A) first time; B) new passport in replacement of an expired passport C) duplicate passport.

Which option should I tick?

Bhaskarnu

Re: passport

Post by Bhaskarnu » Tue Nov 05, 2013 10:32 am

I have been to HCI London last month. My feedback to your query is below ( As per the HCI London, though they have not mentioned it).

By Law, Its mandatory to include the Spouse name in the passport. For this you need the self attested passport copy of the spouse whcih they include with your application and take it, Original Passport of the Spouse to verify and will return you immediatly, Copy of Marriage certificate which they will take and Original Marriage Certificate which will be returned to you immediatly.

If Spouse name is mentioned in Application, they require the above documents, else they wont accept the application. They will clearly tell that its mandatory by law. No wonder they ask you to come back again.
( I have been to HCI London twice just for this reason).

If marital details are mentioned in the application, It will definetly be printed in the passport. We cannot request them to stop printing it.

As per law, if one person is not divorced, he is legally married and he should produce the Marriage Certificate and if he is divorced he has a divorce certificate. Hence only two options - Married or Divorced, nothing else.

Your case is tricky, cant suggest what to do. But be prepared to hear the above reasons from them as they work like a typical Indian Govt office and most of the people visiting HCI London are visiting atleast 2nd time.

I guess they would ask you to speak to the passport Officer, by writing a letter to him and he might take the decision and then start processing your application. Take some white papers as you wont find it there.

Anndeep wrote:I see. Many thanks for all your assistance. I really appreciate it.

So when they ask if I would like spouse name to be included and I say NO then they wont bother asking any further questions right? Do I still need to take marriage certificate and copy of spouse passport?

Bhaskarnu

Re: passport renewal query

Post by Bhaskarnu » Tue Nov 05, 2013 10:34 am

Option B.
Anndeep wrote:I am applying for renewal of passport at Indian High Commission (London) tomorrow. My passport is currently valid so i am applying to reissue within one year validity. The form says (Ques 20: is this application for a passport for the A) first time; B) new passport in replacement of an expired passport C) duplicate passport.

Which option should I tick?

Anndeep

passport renewal

Post by Anndeep » Tue Nov 05, 2013 10:58 am

Thanks Bhaskarnu for your reply. I am sorry but I think the information you have given seems to be different from most people have said.

It is OK to mention spouse name but it is not necessary that they will mention his name or ask for marriage certificate etc if I dont mention anything in the miscellaneous service. Miscellenaeous service is for change in/addition or deletion of spouse name which I am not asking for. Thats what I think!

Bhaskarnu

Re: passport renewal

Post by Bhaskarnu » Tue Nov 05, 2013 4:20 pm

Got you. You are looking for re-issue of your Passport (Renewal). I have been to HCI London for the same reason.

I have mentioned my spouse name in the application. Havent taken marriage certificate or Spouse Passport. I have been told to come again with the Marriage Certificate, Spouse Passport and her self attested copies of Passport.

When I mentioned them that I dont want the spouse name in Passport, They replied that "BY LAW, its mandatory to get the spouse name endorsed". There are few more people who has been sent back along with me for same reason.

If you look into HCI London website, It doesnt mention that endorsing Spouse name is mandatory, when you step into the HCI London office, they make it mandatory.

Above answer is with my personal experience for renewing the passport. As already mentioned, most of the people visit the HCI London atleast twice. Just adviced so that you dont waste a day and get back once again.

It will be fair enough, I cannot advice on your status, but tried sharing my experience. So that you can plan accordingly. To be frank, you will see a typical Indian Govt office in London.

I suggest - try calling them ( they harldy take the calls), go with correct information. Dont forget to ask them if its MANDATORY. if they say its optional, its a good news. Dont forget to take their name as you might end up disappointment.
(this is not to discourage you, but ensure you that you go with proper information)
Anndeep wrote:Thanks Bhaskarnu for your reply. I am sorry but I think the information you have given seems to be different from most people have said.

It is OK to mention spouse name but it is not necessary that they will mention his name or ask for marriage certificate etc if I dont mention anything in the miscellaneous service. Miscellenaeous service is for change in/addition or deletion of spouse name which I am not asking for. Thats what I think!

O_Relly

Post by O_Relly » Tue Nov 05, 2013 5:10 pm

They replied that "BY LAW, its mandatory to get the spouse name endorsed"
What if the spouse resided in India, and hence applicant didn't have access to the original passport. What if the spouse didn't have a valid passport at the time? Do they mandate other documentation to prove identity of spouse?

I am not trying to suggest anything here, but just wondering how can they mandate on the assumption that the spouse is indeed living in the UK with the applicant at the time.

Anndeep

passport renewal

Post by Anndeep » Tue Nov 05, 2013 6:39 pm

Exactly - my spouse is not even in the UK. He is in India and cannot attest passport copies or show passport or come along with me.

Bhaskar did you not take your spouse with you?

Anndeep

passport renewal

Post by Anndeep » Tue Nov 05, 2013 6:40 pm

Bhaskar - why did you mention you dint want spouse name in the passport?

I thought changing/adding/deleting spouse name was only part of miscellaneous service

Bhaskarnu

Post by Bhaskarnu » Wed Nov 06, 2013 2:20 pm

I agree with you. I dont know what they would say if partner is in India.

Anyhow lets wait for Anndeep to reply.
O_Relly wrote:
They replied that "BY LAW, its mandatory to get the spouse name endorsed"
What if the spouse resided in India, and hence applicant didn't have access to the original passport. What if the spouse didn't have a valid passport at the time? Do they mandate other documentation to prove identity of spouse?

I am not trying to suggest anything here, but just wondering how can they mandate on the assumption that the spouse is indeed living in the UK with the applicant at the time.

Anndeep

passport renewal

Post by Anndeep » Wed Nov 06, 2013 5:00 pm

Dear all,
Thank you for all your help and advice. I went and queued up outside High Commission at 7.30. There were 17-18 people ahead of me. At 8.30 they started giving tokens. I went downstairs to the basement and was seated. At 9.30 the counters opened. My turn came within 10 minutes or so because some people went to lost/stolen passport section which was different. I gave the officer my papers. He asked for marriage certificate and a copy and then self attested copies of spouse passport. I said I have xerox copy but not self-attested because he is living and working in India since the last one year. He accepted it.
He asked me to fill change of appearance form, took 72 pounds and that was it.
He gave me a receipt and asked me to email and check after 5 weeks. I did not enclose self-addressed envelope as I thought it was obvious I can come and collect it. Will they still post it ordinary mail? I am worried. Is it going to take 5 weeks?

O_Relly

Post by O_Relly » Wed Nov 06, 2013 5:09 pm

I said I have xerox copy but not self-attested because he is living and working in India since the last one year. He accepted it.
Did he accept the non-attested xerox copies for inclusion of spouses name in the passport? or did he accept the fact that spouses name cannot be included because of lack of documentation?
Will they still post it ordinary mail? I am worried. Is it going to take 5 weeks?
No they will not post it. Although they use the blanket 5 weeks, try enquiring next week, and it is usually ready, again depends on if your current passport is MRP or not.

Anndeep

passport renewal

Post by Anndeep » Wed Nov 06, 2013 5:16 pm

Yes he accepted non attested passport copy of spouse. He said spouse name will be endorsed - which is fine> I just wanted my passport to be renewed.

I see I will email them after one week.

So they wont post it back if self-addressed envelope hasnt been provided? And it definitely means collection?

O_Relly

Post by O_Relly » Wed Nov 06, 2013 5:21 pm

Good stuff.
So they wont post it back if self-addressed envelope hasnt been provided? And it definitely means collection?
I wouldn't think they would be happy to spend money on posting it to you, when you opted for collecting it in person.:) I opted to collect it myself, and did exactly that.