ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

ILR query

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

milz
Newly Registered

ILR query

Post by milz » Tue Jun 05, 2007 7:37 pm

hi,

I do have an ILR query for a friend of mine.

Her ILR is due on mid August 2007 this year. But she is currrently running under an over-draft (in her bank account). But by end of July 2007 she is expecting to have atleast £1200.00 in Credit in her bank.

She does plan to take a very new bank statement on July 30th which will show that she does have £1200.00 in Credit.

Will that suffice for getting her ILR (permanent residency). Or will she be in trouble if they check the last 2 months and find out that she had been on over draft before.

Any help is very much appreciated.

kind regards,

Milz.

John
United Kingdom

Post by John » Tue Jun 05, 2007 10:12 pm

Can you post ... what is her current visa ..... the type of visa that she hopes to convert to ILR?
John

milz
Newly Registered

Post by milz » Tue Jun 05, 2007 10:55 pm

hi john,

she is currently on a work permit due for ILR this mid august 2007.

Milind.

John
United Kingdom

Post by John » Wed Jun 06, 2007 9:41 am

On the form SET(O) it states :-
If you have to complete section 5, bank statements, building society savings book(s), payslips or other formal documents as evidence of your ability to maintain and accommodate yourself and any dependants without recourse to public funds.
Presumably she has actually managed that for the past 5 years? That is, she has not actually needed to claim Public Funds. And whilst it would be better if the more funds were shown, as she will be showing an improving position she will probably be OK.

I find this whole matter rather strange. Yes the person needs to show that they will not need to claim certain Public Funds, but as soon as they get their ILR they are actually allowed to claim with no problem at all.

Your friend has already passed the Citizenship Test?
John

rooi_ding

Post by rooi_ding » Wed Jun 06, 2007 10:31 am

Hi

recieved ILR on Friday I only gave them 3 months of Payslips, even though I had bank statments with me, they never asked for them.

So take them with but dont give them unless you have to

milz
Newly Registered

Post by milz » Wed Jun 06, 2007 10:33 am

Hi john,

many thanks for your prompt reply. Yes she will be completing 5 years this August 2007. She is now in a very good job with a big company. She does have all the pay-slips and P60's for last 3 years.

Will be ok just to show a recent bank statement, letter from her current company confirming salary and job spec, last 12 months pay slips and last 3 years of P60. I am just trying to find out if we cannot show the bank statement which shows that she was in an over-draft (this may put doubts in the immigration officer's mind and so why take a risk)

Bear in mind she is currently on a 29k salary a year. Its just that she had to move a lot for her job; extention of her work permit + lawyers fees and also had to send an urgent money back home that she went into an over-draft now since past 3 months.

She will be giving the citizenship test this month for sure.

Milz.

rooi_ding

Post by rooi_ding » Wed Jun 06, 2007 10:51 am

milz

Did you miss my last post, you dont have to give 5 years worth of bank statments. Just take 3 months with you but you dont have to give it to them unless they ask for it. Just show 3 months worth of Payslips

I was in my overdraft, but then so is 80% of everyone in London.

lonelyuk
Newly Registered

Post by lonelyuk » Wed Jun 13, 2007 3:04 pm

Hi guys,

do you know how much funds you need to have in your bank account when applying for Initial Leave to Remain?

Cheers

John
United Kingdom

Post by John » Wed Jun 13, 2007 3:08 pm

There is no standard amount that it is possible to indicate. It merely needs to be clear that the applicant will not need to claim certain Public Funds. And especially because housing costs can vary so much, it really is not possible to answer your question.

Clearly the more money the better.
John

Dawie
Diamond Member

Post by Dawie » Wed Jun 13, 2007 5:45 pm

When I applied for ILR I had £70-odd pounds in my current account.

The actual amount in your bank account is not important, what is important is that you can display that you have a regular income coming into your bank account and that you can clearly support yourself without public funds.

You can conclude from that then that a bank loan or current account overdraft is NOT considered public funds and therefore there is no problem if you rely on these to keep yourself going.
In a few years time we'll look back on immigration control like we look back on American prohibition in the thirties - futile and counter-productive.

jes2jes

Post by jes2jes » Wed Jun 13, 2007 8:19 pm

Dawie:

How are you? Have you been on holiday? Its been a while, welcome back to the forum.
Praise The Lord!!!!