ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

passport issues

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

zaza7625
Member of Standing
Georgia

passport issues

Post by zaza7625 » Wed Nov 06, 2013 5:46 pm

Hi everyone.

me and my wife have applied for changing the surname of my child who is on mother's surname and my son will get my (father's) surname.
There is certainly mother's surname on his irish passport for now.
I wonder, after the surname having been changed ,would irish passport department issue new passport with new surname to my child or it needs some time for that?

Thanks in advance

njoy1987
Member of Standing

Post by njoy1987 » Wed Nov 06, 2013 8:05 pm

I am sure you can do that. And everything takes time

zaza7625
Member of Standing
Georgia

Post by zaza7625 » Wed Nov 06, 2013 8:10 pm

njoy1987 wrote:I am sure you can do that. And everything takes time
thanks for reply but can you answer me in detail?

thanks

Brigid from Ireland
Member of Standing

Post by Brigid from Ireland » Fri Nov 08, 2013 11:11 am

You can get the passport changed as soon as the surname of the child is legally changed. Just contact the passport office and ask the question, and they will tell you what to do.

You also need to change the surname with other government departments who may be likely to have contact with the child in the future. The most obvious is the Department of Social Protection - because the child will want to claim social welfare in his own right when he is older, so if they have the old surname it will become obvious to him. You can avoid this by changing the surname now (send the papers to social welfare and ask for his name to be changed on their system, keep a record of having done so). If the child has a pps number in his old name then you get it changed by social welfare and that covers many things, because most offices accept that your pps number refers to an accurate surname.

AFTER social welfare change the surname/pps number you should change with the school/hse/medical card also, if they have the old surname. You need to show papers to do this also.
BL

zaza7625
Member of Standing
Georgia

Post by zaza7625 » Fri Nov 08, 2013 4:08 pm

Brigid from Ireland wrote:You can get the passport changed as soon as the surname of the child is legally changed. Just contact the passport office and ask the question, and they will tell you what to do.

You also need to change the surname with other government departments who may be likely to have contact with the child in the future. The most obvious is the Department of Social Protection - because the child will want to claim social welfare in his own right when he is older, so if they have the old surname it will become obvious to him. You can avoid this by changing the surname now (send the papers to social welfare and ask for his name to be changed on their system, keep a record of having done so). If the child has a pps number in his old name then you get it changed by social welfare and that covers many things, because most offices accept that your pps number refers to an accurate surname.

thank you very much

AFTER social welfare change the surname/pps number you should change with the school/hse/medical card also, if they have the old surname. You need to show papers to do this also.