ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

CSI when temporarily not working or seeking work

Use this section for any queries concerning the EU Settlement Scheme, for applicants holding pre-settled and settled status.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

canuckUK
Newly Registered

CSI when temporarily not working or seeking work

Post by canuckUK » Sun Nov 10, 2013 3:54 pm

I've read dozens of posts to try to understand the requirements regarding CSI when applying for Permanent Residence, but I still need to clear some confusion.

My situation is me, Canadian non-EEA national, and my unmarried partner EEA national (from Portugal) will move to the UK using a EEA Family Permit.

Now, question 1:
You need CSI when EEA national is student or self-sufficient, and when applying for PR (EEA4) you will need to prove CSI coverage for any time EEA national was student or self-sufficient, correct?

Now, assuming everything will go according to plan, that shouldn't be an issue because we both intend to work, so no CSI required.

Question 2:
After 5 years of EEA national working non-stop (or seeking work), I can apply for PR and NOT be bothered with CSI, correct?

Now what happens if for example, it's been 5 years of work, but in the middle, there was a 3-month gap where the EEA national left job and just went travelling anywhere or just took a break, not working, not seeking work. Would that be regarded as being self-sufficient? And would the EEA national then need to prove CSI was held during that period, and that period only.?

Thanks.

Jambo
Respected Guru

Post by Jambo » Sun Nov 10, 2013 4:02 pm

Short gaps (3 months is still considered short) in employment should be fine and will not trigger CSI. Also, there is no need to exercise treaty rights (and CSI) for periods in which the EEA national is abroad.

canuckUK
Newly Registered

Post by canuckUK » Sun Nov 10, 2013 9:15 pm

What if the gap in employment (and still NOT looking for work) is spent in the UK, not abroad. Would that trigger a self-sufficient period which in turns triggers the need to get CSI? Thanks.