ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Speaking, listening, reading and writing ILR requirement

Only for queries regarding Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR). Please use the EU Settlement Scheme forum for queries about settled status under Appendix EU

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

Exquisit33

Speaking, listening, reading and writing ILR requirement

Post by Exquisit33 » Sat Nov 09, 2013 4:51 pm

My husband will be applying for ILR in February 2013. He has enrolled onto the course Skills For Life Entry 3.. The course leader told us this is the new requirement and that there is a test for: Speaking & Listening and Reading, & Writing. So that means 4 papers..

Is this correct? Because when I enquired elsewhere they said its only Speaking & Listening that my husband needs to pass at Entry 3. What about reading & writing????

Please advise

Thanks
Allah is the greatest!

tulip11

Post by tulip11 » Sat Nov 09, 2013 7:09 pm

It's just about speaking and listening.

vinny

Post by vinny » Sat Nov 09, 2013 10:49 pm

He also has to pass the Life in the UK test.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

Exquisit33

Post by Exquisit33 » Sun Nov 10, 2013 1:08 pm

vinny wrote:He also has to pass the Life in the UK test.
Yes, I know he has to pass life in the uk test, however I am enquiring about The English test requirement...

Is Esol Skills For life qualification a B1? Entry 3 is what he has enrolled onto and is the reading and writing part become compulsory???
Allah is the greatest!

Amber
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by Amber » Sun Nov 10, 2013 3:00 pm

See the approved list.
**this forum is not intended to be a substitute for professional advice**
Click here to send me a PM regarding an offensive post. Do NOT PM me for immigration advice.

falcon$
Newly Registered
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by falcon$ » Sun Nov 10, 2013 5:57 pm

On the Secure English language Test ( SELT) list. It mentions for ESOL Entry level 3 other skills Reading and writing are required as well with Speaking and Listening, which makes the requirements a bit confusing.

Could somebody please advise do one need to show only the speaking and listening elements of the ESOL Entry level 3 or all the four skills.

Exquisit33

Post by Exquisit33 » Mon Nov 11, 2013 3:15 pm

falcon$ wrote:On the Secure English language Test ( SELT) list. It mentions for ESOL Entry level 3 other skills Reading and writing are required as well with Speaking and Listening, which makes the requirements a bit confusing.

Could somebody please advise do one need to show only the speaking and listening elements of the ESOL Entry level 3 or all the four skills.
That's exactly what I want to find out as the course leader told us that all four elements of the course are now compulsory effective from 28th October. So it's not just speaking and listening.. You also have to sit the reading and writing as all four are part of the b1.
Allah is the greatest!

falcon$
Newly Registered
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by falcon$ » Mon Nov 11, 2013 5:41 pm

The confusing thing is if you look at any qualification on the list e.g IELTS. They list all four skills.
but on the home office statement of intent it mentions of only Speaking and Listening. why is ESOL entry 3 is different.

legend786

Post by legend786 » Mon Nov 11, 2013 7:21 pm

Guys don't make yourself confused at all! it's just listening and speaking which is clearly mentioned on ILR form and on guidance notes published by HO so follow that but no need to follow cambridge ESOL which is saying for reading and writing as well

Exquisit33

Post by Exquisit33 » Mon Nov 11, 2013 11:18 pm

legend786 wrote:Guys don't make yourself confused at all! it's just listening and speaking which is clearly mentioned on ILR form and on guidance notes published by HO so follow that but no need to follow cambridge ESOL which is saying for reading and writing as well
So will the Skills for Life my hubby enrolled onto be accepted?? Has he enrolled onto the wrong course? He will be doing all four elements...
Allah is the greatest!

vinny

Post by vinny » Tue Nov 12, 2013 12:05 am

If his course is on the approved list and he passes the B1 level for speaking and listening, then, coupled with the Life in the UK test, he should be fine.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

falcon$
Newly Registered
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by falcon$ » Tue Nov 12, 2013 7:59 pm

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/sitec ... -tests.pdf
if we look at the page 13 of the SELT list for ESOL Entry 3. Under the column documents required with the application are Certificate, Statement of Results for each component (reading,writing, speaking,listening), Name of test centre

legend786

Post by legend786 » Wed Nov 13, 2013 9:36 pm

Cambridge ESOL list is confusing as it says you have to do all four listening, reading writing and speaking but if you read new ILR form guidance which says clearly, listening and speaking which is minimum requirement, above than B1, that should be fine but B1 is minimum requirement for ILR
Hope it helps

abdik1980

Post by abdik1980 » Thu Nov 14, 2013 4:01 am

I will suggest your husband to give GESE Grade 5 Speaking and Listening exam which is approved by UK border for ILR. Its just 10 mins speaking and listening exam:

http://englishexamcentres.co.uk/b1-esol ... vel-3.html

Thanks

mal-uk
Newly Registered

Post by mal-uk » Thu Nov 14, 2013 5:25 am

your husband can enroll for ESOL entry level 3 which includes listening and speaking. awarding body can be as EMD OR edexcel doesnt matter but it has to be recognize by ofqual.