ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

[Solved]Another English Language query for Naturalisation

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

[iD]

[Solved]Another English Language query for Naturalisation

Post by [iD] » Thu Nov 07, 2013 3:48 am

Quick question!
I got my ILR in April 2013 on basis of HSMP/ILR.

Points based calculator recognises my degree but fail to award me 10 points for english language based on that degree, so I guess my degree isn't helping me out on this one.

However, I did my IELTS to support my initial HSMP application in 2008 and since then with every extension (inc ILR) I have been selecting the option on the form that says I have satisfied english language requirement with my previous HSMP/Tier 1 application and never had an issue.

Now question is, can I use the same IELTS certification from 2008 for my naturalisation application or do I have to get a fresh C1 level certification?

Thanks in advance.
Last edited by [iD] on Mon Nov 11, 2013 6:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Goodluck.

vinny

Post by vinny » Thu Nov 07, 2013 4:27 am

I believe you may use the same certification.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

Amber
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by Amber » Thu Nov 07, 2013 7:03 am

I concur, where a test has been used to satisfy EC at a level B1, that test should be subsequently accepted for settlement, even if expired.
**this forum is not intended to be a substitute for professional advice**
Click here to send me a PM regarding an offensive post. Do NOT PM me for immigration advice.

[iD]

Post by [iD] » Thu Nov 07, 2013 6:53 pm

Thanks for your replies
I went through the naturalisation form and it doesn't have any option to select for 'English language requirement satisfied with EC or previous extension'

Any ideas?
Goodluck.

Amber
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by Amber » Thu Nov 07, 2013 8:32 pm

I think the first option... Having a B1 qualification ought to suffice.
**this forum is not intended to be a substitute for professional advice**
Click here to send me a PM regarding an offensive post. Do NOT PM me for immigration advice.

[iD]

Post by [iD] » Sun Nov 10, 2013 6:34 pm

Lovely! Thanks
Goodluck.

[iD]

Post by [iD] » Mon Nov 11, 2013 6:21 pm

Just got this reply from UKBA regarding IELTS expiry.
Dear Sir / Madam

Thank you for your enquiry regarding the revised knowledge of Language and Life in the UK requirement that came in to force on 28th October 2013.

We will accept a range of English language qualifications as evidence that an applicant has met the requirement to hold a B1 level speaking and listening qualification. This will help ensure that all those needing to take a test will be able to find one suitable for their needs and, so far as possible, that no one who already has an English language qualification at B1 level or above will be required to take another one.

An IELTS (International English Language Testing System) qualification awarded by Cambridge English (previously known as Cambridge ESOL), which is at a level equivalent to level B1 CEFR or above, is an acceptable qualification for the purposes of demonstrating language ability for citizenship purposes.

Please note that the 2 year validity attached to these qualifications only applies to entry clearance applications and are therefore still accepted for citizenship applications after this validity date.

Applicants will also need to show that they have passed the life in the UK test to demonstrate their knowledge of life in the UK.

Regards

Mrs C Richards
Goodluck.