ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Is work allowed on EU spouse visa?

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

masterboy123
Member of Standing
Ireland

Is work allowed on EU spouse visa?

Post by masterboy123 » Wed Nov 13, 2013 11:00 am

Hi,

I am non-EU national and my wife is EU national. We arrived in Dublin last month. My wife found a work and we are waiting to get 2 payslips so we can apply for my Stamp 4.

I am myself a medical doctor and got a job offer.
Am I allowed to start working here legally? My visa was given for 90 days (Accompany EU spouse visa). It will expire in mid-January 2014.
Or do I have to wait until I get temporary Stamp 4?
Or pay 400 Euros to obtain a 2-years visa which is given to doctors?

What do you suggest the best option for me in this situation?

Thanks!

dalebutt

Post by dalebutt » Wed Nov 13, 2013 11:55 am

Yes work is permitted.

chaoclive
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by chaoclive » Wed Nov 13, 2013 12:43 pm

It is legal but you may meet with opposition from people who don't know the rules.

You should try to contact INIS to see if there is any way that they can suggest how you can provide your right to work. A print out of the Directive on Free Movement might work, but many employers are probably going to want to see the 4EUFAM stamp first.

Not fair, I know. But employers who employ people illegally can be fined, so they're always cautious. You could enquire if your potential employer knows about the details of the Directive.

masterboy123
Member of Standing
Ireland

Post by masterboy123 » Wed Nov 13, 2013 3:42 pm

Ok thanks.

My employer will be Health Service Executive (HSE).

Is it possible to apply later for Stamp 4 EUFAM, while i am on stamp 4 (given to doctors for 2 years)?

CalvinKlien
Mood:
Ireland

Post by CalvinKlien » Wed Nov 13, 2013 3:56 pm

@ masterboy123

You are a doctor by profession, if u have an option available to get a green card from HSE, why you want to go through the EU Treaty route via dependent of your spouse. EU Treaty is a complex route especially at the end of your 5 years residence card.... There is a possibility youR spouse will quit work for some time due to health , or kids or any other reasons and it will affect your Permanement residence card after 5 years.

God forbid, but if you get seperated or get divorced, its a long process to retain your residence card on your own rights...

Also i have noticed that when you apply for your citizenship, any applications that are based on Green card or work permit get approved within few months and 4EUFam holder wait for a very long time...

I would recommend to get the 2 years Green card sponsored by HSE and after 2 years you will get stamp 4 any way.... THE CHOICE IS YOURS....

dalebutt

Post by dalebutt » Wed Nov 13, 2013 4:11 pm

CalvinKlien wrote:@ masterboy123

You are a doctor by profession, if u have an option available to get a green card from HSE, why you want to go through the EU Treaty route via dependent of your spouse. EU Treaty is a complex route especially at the end of your 5 years residence card.... There is a possibility youR spouse will quit work for some time due to health , or kids or any other reasons and it will affect your Permanement residence card after 5 years.

God forbid, but if you get seperated or get divorced, its a long process to retain your residence card on your own rights...

Also i have noticed that when you apply for your citizenship, any applications that are based on Green card or work permit get approved within few months and 4EUFam holder wait for a very long time...

I would recommend to get the 2 years Green card sponsored by HSE and after 2 years you will get stamp 4 any way.... THE CHOICE IS YOURS....
I do not think I agree with your analysis, there is no way you will toss the coin to give you equal comparison, stamp4EUFAM is more reliable, more beneficial, and has more legal protection in Ireland and EU-wide.

dalebutt

Post by dalebutt » Wed Nov 13, 2013 4:19 pm

If wife seizes to exercise treaty rights, wife can be dependent on husband's income to become self sufficient, I do not think there is a justification in abandoning EU route for the green card route suggested.

CalvinKlien
Mood:
Ireland

Post by CalvinKlien » Wed Nov 13, 2013 4:20 pm

@ dalebutt

stamp4EUFAM have some benefits but on the same time, it is a pain, especially if your spouse quit job. Do you know the affect of that on your Permanent Residence card ? It will lead to refusal of your application....

We all know, girls need a break especially when they start a new family in terms of babies. I know few people that had very strong cases, have Irish born kids, their wives worked throughout but still EU Treaty Right found small holes and the application were refused....They lost their jobs and went through a hell.

Well, we might have a difference in opinion but if you ask any stamp4EUFAM holder, they will tell u its a pain....

I am stamp4EUFAM holder "Permanent Residence card", I am divorced from my EU spouse and i have to explain this in every embassy / airport. I have to show them letter from the DOJ and divorce cert.....

masterboy123
Member of Standing
Ireland

Post by masterboy123 » Sun Nov 24, 2013 4:40 pm

Thanks everyone for detailed thoughts and advice.

At the moment I dont have enough documents such as PRTB letter and my wife tax certificate paper. So I can not apply for Stamp 4 EUFAM for atleast a month. And there is a job offer waiting for me from HSE...So I think I will now apply for doctor's stamp.

I have few questions please:
1. My passport will expire in September 2014. Do I get stamp 1 till this date or for 2 years independent of passpory expiry date?

2. And If they issue the stamp 1 till September 2014 and I renew my passport, do I have to pay again 300 euros?

3. How long does it take to get GNIB card? a week or 1 day?

4. Is GNIB office in Dublin only or can I go to any garda station outside of Dublin?

Thanks everyone!