ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Immigrants should learn how to queue

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

Christophe
Diamond Member

Post by Christophe » Thu Jun 14, 2007 5:21 pm

SYH wrote:
Dawie wrote:I've often been working in the City in London and seen pinned-striped businessmen who should know better spitting in the street. And don't even get me started on yobs and chavs.
Are you using facial epithets? or less unkind words to describe certain ethnic groups?
But "yob" and "chav" don't carry any particular overtones or race or ethnicity (except perhaps insofar as they're words that are popular in the UK - specifically England - and so, by extension, are probably most often used of British - or English - people, who after all make up the bulk of the population in the UK - or England).

SYH
BANNED

Post by SYH » Thu Jun 14, 2007 5:38 pm

Christophe wrote:
SYH wrote:
Dawie wrote:I've often been working in the City in London and seen pinned-striped businessmen who should know better spitting in the street. And don't even get me started on yobs and chavs.
Are you using facial epithets? or less unkind words to describe certain ethnic groups?
But "yob" and "chav" don't carry any particular overtones or race or ethnicity (except perhaps insofar as they're words that are popular in the UK - specifically England - and so, by extension, are probably most often used of British - or English - people, who after all make up the bulk of the population in the UK - or England).
I already got that. I was only taking the tone from the context that it wasn't very nice to use those words.

William Blake
Member of Standing

Post by William Blake » Thu Jun 14, 2007 10:37 pm

sakura is 100% right.

I think it should be the other way around. The English should learn how to lighten up and how NOT to queue from us immigrants. Like why queue at a bus stop. Five different buses coming to the stop and no one knows what bus another is waiting for and some guy wants to form a queue. On the other point of course we all know the English don't spit on the pavement - they just vomit all over it.
Every night and every morn
Some to misery are born.
Every morn and every night
Some are born to sweet delight.
Some are born to sweet delight,
Some are born to endless night

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by Wanderer » Thu Jun 14, 2007 10:43 pm

I think 'chav' is an acronym isn't it? Council Housed And Violent.

And 'Yob' is very definitely back-slang, it's 'Boy' spelt backwards.

nonothing

Post by nonothing » Thu Jun 14, 2007 11:45 pm

SYH wrote:In Asia, people spit all the time on the street. They believe this keeps them healthy, even though it does the opposite.
who told you that? where are you from?

SYH
BANNED

Post by SYH » Fri Jun 15, 2007 7:24 am

nonothing wrote:
SYH wrote:In Asia, people spit all the time on the street. They believe this keeps them healthy, even though it does the opposite.
nonothing you are clearly trying to continue this nonsense of nitpicking everything I say.

From where I am is irrelevant.

If you have to know, I have been there. Have you ever been in Asia?

nonothing

Post by nonothing » Fri Jun 15, 2007 8:49 am

SYH wrote:
nonothing wrote:
nonothing you are clearly trying to continue this nonsense of nitpicking everything I say.

From where I am is irrelevant.

If you have to know, I have been there. Have you ever been in Asia?
have i ever been in asia? that's a good question.

well, i spent more than 30 years in asia. i'm still chinese national.

before you made such a statement like 'In Asia, people spit all the time on the street', did you know there're more than 50 countries in asia?

i agree, where you're from is irrelevant. but can i ask how long you have been in asia and how many asian countries you have visited? have you ever been to singapore or japan? do you have any idea they're also asian countries?

from the asian city i used to live in, you have to pay penalty if you're spotted to spit or litter in the street. but from my experience here i've seen so many british spitting and littering in the street without even feeling shame.

SYH
BANNED

Post by SYH » Fri Jun 15, 2007 9:10 am

If there is such a penalty, then clearly people do it enough that it needs to be curbed and yes I know which countries are considered in asia and I have been to the countries you listed.
So this continuation of trying to pinpoint my knowledge base is getting old
As you only confirmed what I said, so what is your point.

Just recently on a trip in Thailand, there were people spitting on the plane, and the flight attendant was beside herself. I and others were horrified. Although it is less common nowadays, when I was in Mainland China awhile back, people were spitting all the time on the bus. That's probably how I got sick ... So believe you me, I know plenty about Asia.

And you know the spitting is very different in Asia than in the UK, in Asia, they are digging deep in the throat and stomach trying to eject the most nasty things. In the UK, when they spit, it is still nasty, don't get me wrong but its more just from mouth and nose.
Last edited by SYH on Fri Jun 15, 2007 8:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.

nonothing

Post by nonothing » Fri Jun 15, 2007 9:28 am

so, you've been to japan, singapore, and also thailand, mailand china. and you're aware that those are all asian countries, but you still think 'In Asia, people spit all the time on the street'.

that's fine. it simply gives us an example of how accurate your judgements are.

btw, in singapore, if a thief is caught, he will get very heavy penalty. so under your logic, there must be lots of thieves all over singapore. but ironically, it's quite the contrary.

nonothing

Post by nonothing » Fri Jun 15, 2007 9:33 am

SYH wrote:And you know the spitting is very different in Asia than in the UK, in Asia, they are digging deep in the throat and stomach trying to eject the most nasty things. In the UK, when they spit, it is still nasty, don't get me wrong but its more just from mouth and nose.
so the british government should send out a leaflet telling immigrants can do the less nasty british-style spitting but not the more nasty asian-style spitting. :D

get a grip, man.

SYH
BANNED

Post by SYH » Fri Jun 15, 2007 9:34 am

nonothing wrote:so, you've been to japan, singapore, and also thailand, mailand china. and you're aware that those are all asian countries, but you still think 'In Asia, people spit all the time on the street'.

that's fine. it simply gives us an example of how accurate your judgements are.

btw, in singapore, if a thief is caught, he will get very heavy penalty. so under your logic, there must be lots of thieves all over singapore. but ironically, it's quite the contrary.
No that's your poor use of analogy. Different cultures also have different punishment schemes. Sof the heavy penalty you talk about has nothing to do with the amount of theives, it has to do with the feeling of disgrace and dishonor associated with deviant behaviour.
That's why the Japanese will kill themselves if dishonored for example. Of course try to take a strand of something I said and twist it into something else. Please, pretty please, keep beating this dead horse down.

nonothing

Post by nonothing » Fri Jun 15, 2007 9:39 am

let's face it, SYH mate.

your statement, 'In Asia, people spit all the time on the street' is not accurate, is it?

and also it's kinda insult to all the asian people.

a reasonable apology is welcomed here. and this is my point and end of my posts in this thread. have a nice day.
Last edited by nonothing on Fri Jun 15, 2007 9:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

SYH
BANNED

Post by SYH » Fri Jun 15, 2007 9:39 am

nonothing wrote:
SYH wrote:And you know the spitting is very different in Asia than in the UK, in Asia, they are digging deep in the throat and stomach trying to eject the most nasty things. In the UK, when they spit, it is still nasty, don't get me wrong but its more just from mouth and nose.
so the british government should send out a leaflet telling immigrants can do the less nasty british-style spitting but not the more nasty asian-style spitting. :D

get a grip, man.
And as a Chinese National, you damn well know, that spitting is a national habit, that the govt had to curb with penalties. So maybe it doesn't happen as often as it did in an earlier time, but it isn't so surprising when it happens.
All spitting is disgusting, Get a grip if you think I was saying one was better than another. Just explaining that the basis of spitting is for different reasons which is why the was they spit is different. Maybe too subtle for you
Last edited by SYH on Fri Jun 15, 2007 3:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SYH
BANNED

Post by SYH » Fri Jun 15, 2007 9:41 am

nonothing wrote:let's face it, SYH mate.

your statement, 'In Asia, people spit all the time on the street' is not accurate, is it?

and also it's kinda insult to all the asian people.

a reasonable apology is welcomed here.
No its accurate as far as I can see, I can change it to, they spit most of the time if that makes you feel better
http://news.monstersandcritics.com/asia ... d_citizens
http://www.boston.com/news/world/asia/a ... m+%2F+News
I don't think you represent the asian people, as the infighting within the Asian clans would prevent you being everyone's representative. Second if you are insulted, I think you best get a thicker skin.

rooi_ding

Post by rooi_ding » Fri Jun 15, 2007 11:22 am

So we are totally off the thread which originally was about how this government has this blinked theory that immigrants generally have know idea of British culture or at least the way they see British culture. They believe they are all knowing and knowledgably. It would appear to me that Ruth Kelly and co. have lost the plot and maybe all that power has finally gone to there heads. "Absolute power corrupts absolutely"

SYH I don’t believe that you wanted to insulted anyone, you just managed to dig a great big hole for yourself and now you are not to sure how to get out of it.

As a South African and married to a Chinese National I should probably feel the most insulted, but I am not manly because I know that we all only come onto this forum to vent our frustrations at fantastical ideas that the government seem to have.

So time to "put the weapons awayâ€

Siggi

Post by Siggi » Fri Jun 15, 2007 11:25 am

Will one of the mediators please step in and remove or ban SYH from this board as all he seems to do, is to irritate, snipe and pass smart arse judgemental opions on people, with very little positive input to other users on this site.

SYH
BANNED

Post by SYH » Fri Jun 15, 2007 11:47 am

[quote="rooi_ding"]So we are totally off the thread which originally was about how this government has this blinked theory that immigrants generally have know idea of British culture or at least the way they see British culture. They believe they are all knowing and knowledgably. It would appear to me that Ruth Kelly and co. have lost the plot and maybe all that power has finally gone to there heads. "Absolute power corrupts absolutely"

SYH I don’t believe that you wanted to insulted anyone, you just managed to dig a great big hole for yourself and now you are not to sure how to get out of it.

As a South African and married to a Chinese National I should probably feel the most insulted, but I am not manly because I know that we all only come onto this forum to vent our frustrations at fantastical ideas that the government seem to have.

So time to "put the weapons awayâ€

Mini
Member of Standing

Post by Mini » Fri Jun 15, 2007 12:51 pm

Second if you are insulted, I think you best get a thicker skin.
SYH,
You should take your own advice. You can't always be right and even if you are, it is not necessary the everyone should always recognise that. You would be a delight for a professional winder ! :D
Mini

SYH
BANNED

Post by SYH » Fri Jun 15, 2007 12:53 pm

Mini wrote:
Second if you are insulted, I think you best get a thicker skin.
SYH,
You should take your own advice. You can't always be right and even if you are, it is not necessary the everyone should always recognise that. You would be a delight for a professional winder ! :D
Another one joins the mob

champion

Post by champion » Fri Jun 15, 2007 12:56 pm

Second, lines arent the norm in all locations so I wouldn't find a sign telling them to queue up offensive.
In France, it is a national pasttime to cut the queue so maybe they know there is queue, I know I can't get over how many queues there are in the UK.
Which country you are from and which country you are talking about.
Your statement:
In Asia, people spit all the time on the street. They believe this keeps them healthy is just totally wrong
People spit everywhere , every country and they do because of their habit. I am yet to meet anyone (may be you) who spit because he / she thinks it is a good for them.
By any chance are you one of them who make these proposal?

I agree there is no harm emphasising on goodness. People know that they shouldn't smoke in public places and they should not get offended if there is a sign suggesting that.
However there are more important things in britishness specially the duties. your rights and responsibilities etc.

Mini
Member of Standing

Post by Mini » Fri Jun 15, 2007 1:00 pm

SYH,
Its not a mob and its not as serious as you are taking it. In fact its a long time since a post has amused me as much !

I don't think spitting has been discussed at this length anywhere anytime. :D

Lighten up !!
Another one joins the mob
Mini

SYH
BANNED

Post by SYH » Fri Jun 15, 2007 1:03 pm

Mini wrote:SYH,
Its not a mob and its not as serious as you are taking it. In fact its a long time since a post has amused me as much !

I don't think spitting has been discussed at this length anywhere anytime. :D

Lighten up !!
It is serious Mini, as this nitpicking continue in other threads. So to you its a one time deal. For me, it is a consistent attack.

But for sure, I certainly didn't want to be associated with the spitting controversy :? :shock:

champion

Post by champion » Fri Jun 15, 2007 1:08 pm

SYH wrote:If there is such a penalty, then clearly people do it enough that it needs to be curbed and yes I know which countries are considered in asia and I have been to the countries you listed.
So this continuation of trying to pinpoint my knowledge base is getting old
As you only confirmed what I said, so what is your point.

Just recently on a trip in Thailand, there were people spitting on the plane, and the flight attendant was beside herself. I and others were horrified. Although it is less common nowadays, when I was in Mainland China awhile back, people were spitting all the time on the bus. That's probably how I got sick and had to go to the hospital and was pretty close to dying on that particular trip from a high fever. It was so high that when the nurse took my temperature and saw how high it was she dropped the thermometer and ran down the hall screaming. Evidently it was so high that it was not supposed to be possible to still be alive. So believe you me, I know plenty about Asia.

And you know the spitting is very different in Asia than in the UK, in Asia, they are digging deep in the throat and stomach trying to eject the most nasty things. In the UK, when they spit, it is still nasty, don't get me wrong but its more just from mouth and nose.
None of us had encounter such thing but you.I think they (who spitted) were being generous. They don't want to spit on someone's face who was travelling in the plane / bus because the person is a guest to the country and thats why they spitted on floor. I would understand their feeling with reading few posts here how irritating some people can be and people who spit just tried to convey a message to irritating people.

alba29

Post by alba29 » Fri Jun 15, 2007 1:13 pm

champion wrote:
Second, lines arent the norm in all locations so I wouldn't find a sign telling them to queue up offensive.
In France, it is a national pasttime to cut the queue so maybe they know there is queue, I know I can't get over how many queues there are in the UK.
Which country you are from and which country you are talking about.
Your statement:
In Asia, people spit all the time on the street. They believe this keeps them healthy is just totally wrong
People spit everywhere , every country and they do because of their habit. I am yet to meet anyone (may be you) who spit because he / she thinks it is a good for them.
By any chance are you one of them who make these proposal?

I agree there is no harm emphasising on goodness. People know that they shouldn't smoke in public places and they should not get offended if there is a sign suggesting that.
However there are more important things in britishness specially the duties. your rights and responsibilities etc.
Why would someone want to ban SYH from writing.. what a pathetic request. :shock: Wake up folks,...
I have been in UK 9 years... married to an English born and bread guy and never knew what the word chav and yob meant? I think it depends on where you live, your friends, your family work collegues.. so the word yob or chav never came accross to me until when I heard it in the news some time ago.
And as far as people spitting... SYH only said what he had seen....and there isn't anything to be winded up here... Be civil and explain the reasons why that is not the truth.. .and distance yourself from putting words in to people's mouths... i.e facial or whatever ridiculous things you are coming up with.
I suggest you "open minded" people should stop this ludicrous article with your comments and try and be more useful by perhaps volunteering in teaching those new lessons about queing etc.... to your comunity.

champion

Post by champion » Fri Jun 15, 2007 1:20 pm

alba29 wrote: Why would someone want to ban SYH from writing.. what a pathetic request. :shock: Wake up folks,...
I have been in UK 9 years... married to an English born and bread guy and never knew what the word chav and yob meant? I think it depends on where you live, your friends, your family work collegues.. so the word yob or chav never came accross to me until when I heard it in the news some time ago.
And as far as people spitting... SYH only said what he had seen....and there isn't anything to be winded up here... Be civil and explain the reasons why that is not the truth.. .and distance yourself from putting words in to people's mouths... i.e facial or whatever ridiculous things you are coming up with.
I suggest you "open minded" people should stop this ludicrous article with your comments and try and be more useful by perhaps volunteering in teaching those new lessons about queing etc.... to your comunity.
Albe everyone has a right to explain their opinion but what SYH said is not opinion it is staed as it is a fact while it is not true and it was offensive.
Even I don't know about CHAV and YOB, I don't even wanna know about this. I never encounter these terms and not interested in these kind of slang.
However the SYH's statement is offensive and sick. he must be chief editor of tabloid like sun who dont know anything who don't wanna understand a culture and who just say something silly