ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Overstayer and studying

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

east579new

Overstayer and studying

Post by east579new » Mon Nov 11, 2013 9:17 pm

Im intrested to know if someone was an overstayer and therefore had no status in the uk can they still access education ie (a course at there local collage) as long as they pay the required fees or is there a restriction?

Choc-Ice
Nigeria

Re: Overstayer and studying

Post by Choc-Ice » Mon Nov 11, 2013 11:31 pm

east579new wrote:Im intrested to know if someone was an overstayer and therefore had no status in the uk can they still access education ie (a course at there local collage) as long as they pay the required fees or is there a restriction?
Very possible. I had a house-mate some years back who was going to a college in London and didnt have any student visa.. that was years back though :roll:
IMpossible is 2 letters to long!

east579new

Re: Overstayer and studying

Post by east579new » Tue Nov 12, 2013 1:00 am

Choc-Ice wrote:
east579new wrote:Im intrested to know if someone was an overstayer and therefore had no status in the uk can they still access education ie (a course at there local collage) as long as they pay the required fees or is there a restriction?
Very possible. I had a house-mate some years back who was going to a college in London and didnt have any student visa.. that was years back though :roll:
Thanks Choc-Ice anybody else have any advice on this?

thebionicredneck2003
Member of Standing

Post by thebionicredneck2003 » Tue Nov 12, 2013 11:00 am

Hi,

While in principle it may be possible to do this, if a person has become an overstayer, does it make sense to continue to spend money in a college when the person may be removed at any time?
Regards

quantum1
Member of Standing

Post by quantum1 » Tue Nov 12, 2013 11:16 am

It depends on the institution. UKBA does checks on the status of students as one of the requirement for an institution to be allowed to sponsor foreign students. The college might ask for proof of residence

east579new

Post by east579new » Tue Nov 12, 2013 2:24 pm

Thanks for the help everybody i only ask because my partner is here stuck in limbo(you know the UKBully agencys faviorute tactic) and is now getting really frustrated because there is nothing she can to do with her time ie work,study etc.

What about online courses are they subject to these types of control? can anybody recomend an online course website?.

BEAUTIFULBLISS
Newly Registered

Post by BEAUTIFULBLISS » Tue Nov 12, 2013 10:40 pm

Yes, I arrived in the UK aged 10 and did all my education up to college here. And I didnt pay a penny.

Im the child of an overstayer who also overstayed

BEAUTIFULBLISS
Newly Registered

PS

Post by BEAUTIFULBLISS » Tue Nov 12, 2013 10:44 pm

It depends on the college as well, some college MIGHT and thats a huge might ask for passport and some dont. Just do your research and search for their eligibility criteria. You might have to pay a fee though if you're under 18. Dont give up...keep searching even if it means travelling to the oter side of london or commuting and good luck i feel positive that you will be fine :) :wink:

thebionicredneck2003
Member of Standing

Post by thebionicredneck2003 » Thu Nov 14, 2013 10:10 am

With all due respect to the op, shouldn't you be trying your best to see if it is possible to make your partner's stay legitimate rather than looking at ways to circumvent the system?

I understand that everyone's case is unique, but the fact that some people are overstayers and have remained under the radar is not something to strive for if it can be avoided.

Best of luck.
Regards

ouflak1

Post by ouflak1 » Fri Nov 15, 2013 9:25 am

BEAUTIFULBLISS wrote:Yes, I arrived in the UK aged 10 and did all my education up to college here. And I didnt pay a penny.
Maybe you didn't pay a penny, but I guarantee you *somebody* paid a penny, and quite a few pennies at that. There is no such thing as a free education. It's just a matter of whose flipping the bill. Now I personally believe you are of greater value to this society being educated, and this is an additional amount of tax I'm willing to invest into the government. But the emphasis should be on becoming a legal resident. Every overstayer who takes advantage of the UK educational system not only presents extra costs, but also extra burden, especially since they can't be planned for in the system (how do you plan for somebody who is technically not supposed to be here?).

It's good that the OP is atleast willing to pay their way, but every action they take should be on a course to becoming a legal resident, or leaving.

TurboA
Newly Registered

Post by TurboA » Wed Dec 18, 2013 5:01 pm

thebionicredneck2003 wrote:Hi,

While in principle it may be possible to do this, if a person has become an overstayer, does it make sense to continue to spend money in a college when the person may be removed at any time?

Please take such discouraging advice with a pinch of salt. In 2006 I ignored such skepticism and embarked on a Law degree which I was financing with my illegal job. There was a risk ofcourse but eh, what is life without risk. I graduated 4 years later and still wonder what it would have been like if I hadn't tried. There is nothing to fear but FEAR.

TurboA
Newly Registered

Study

Post by TurboA » Wed Dec 18, 2013 5:04 pm

[quote="thebionicredneck2003"]Hi,

While in principle it may be possible to do this, if a person has become an overstayer, does it make sense to continue to spend money in a college when the person may be removed at any time?[/

Please take such discouraging advice with a pinch of salt. In 2006 I ignored such skepticism and embarked on a Law degree which I was financing with my illegal job. There was a risk ofcourse but eh, what is life without risk. I graduated 4 years later and still wonder what it would have been like if I hadn't tried. There is nothing to fear but FEAR

thebionicredneck2003
Member of Standing

Post by thebionicredneck2003 » Thu Dec 19, 2013 12:18 pm

TurboA, I merely asked a question to the op and made a valid suggestion based on the possible choices available.

The fact that you overstayed and managed to get a degree does not necessarily mean that another person can do the same thing and get away with it and vice versa.

My two cents is that as immigrants we have to do the right things to avoid unwanted problems that may potentially arise later on. This is just my personal opinion and it doesn't have to be accepted, as we are mature enough to make our own choices in life.

Best of luck
Regards

yumedo

Post by yumedo » Fri Dec 20, 2013 4:56 pm

If you are planing to study any type of ESOL courses, then there are greater chances of being asked for passport or equalant ID, any other courses, especially those with fee tp pay, you may get away with bank card or driver's liscen or council tax bills.
Many colleges are desperatly to fill up spaces in order to get goverment fundings.