ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Immigrants should learn how to queue

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

champion

Post by champion » Fri Jun 15, 2007 1:29 pm

SYH wrote:
Mini wrote:SYH,
Its not a mob and its not as serious as you are taking it. In fact its a long time since a post has amused me as much !

I don't think spitting has been discussed at this length anywhere anytime. :D

Lighten up !!
It is serious Mini, as this nitpicking continue in other threads. So to you its a one time deal. For me, it is a consistent attack.

But for sure, I certainly didn't want to be associated with the spitting controversy :? :shock:
Then edit your post and rephrase it.
Apologies to people for your irresponsible and immature and sick statement

SYH
BANNED

Post by SYH » Fri Jun 15, 2007 1:37 pm

champion wrote:
SYH wrote:
Mini wrote:SYH,
Its not a mob and its not as serious as you are taking it. In fact its a long time since a post has amused me as much !

I don't think spitting has been discussed at this length anywhere anytime. :D

Lighten up !!
It is serious Mini, as this nitpicking continue in other threads. So to you its a one time deal. For me, it is a consistent attack.

But for sure, I certainly didn't want to be associated with the spitting controversy :? :shock:
Then edit your post and rephrase it.
Apologies to people for your irresponsible and immature and sick statement
You know the reason it is so offensive to you, is because somehow you are embarassed by it. Implied in your embarassment, you realize you are the one making judgments about spitting and its significance. I never said that spitting made anyone any less civilized, you guys read into it and interpreted that way. My point is that people have different beliefs such as that spitting keeps them healthy. It is written in the articles that I provided links. So what might be offensive to you, is not to someone else. I don't owe an apology, you owe me.

champion

Post by champion » Fri Jun 15, 2007 1:55 pm

SYH wrote: You know the reason it is so offensive to you, is because somehow you are embarassed by it.
Only sick people like you get offended when they are embarassed
SYH wrote: I never said that spitting made anyone any less civilized, you guys read into it. My point is that people have different beliefs such as that spitting keeps them healthy.
Your remark was toward Asia not to a specific country and thats why you should apologies. If a country X is in asia and some people believe that spitting makes them healthy then why are you saying people in asia cant you say some people. Also you can mention World or Earth instead of Asia because Asia is in this world.
SYH wrote: It is written in the articles that I provided links. So what might be offensive to you, is not to someone else. I don't owe an apology, you owe me.
I didnt read that article and perhaps I will not. anyone can write anything (like you are doing so far) that doesn't mean the statement is true. Only sick people like you take them seriously and post it in a forum which is suppose to help out each other. you are spoiling a healthy environment of this forum.
Why don't you visit a phyciatrist instead of sharing your sick metality here

SYH
BANNED

Post by SYH » Fri Jun 15, 2007 2:01 pm

champion wrote:
SYH wrote: You know the reason it is so offensive to you, is because somehow you are embarassed by it.
Only sick people like you get offended when they are embarassed
SYH wrote: I never said that spitting made anyone any less civilized, you guys read into it. My point is that people have different beliefs such as that spitting keeps them healthy.
Your remark was toward Asia not to a specific country and thats why you should apologies. If a country X is in asia and some people believe that spitting makes them healthy then why are you saying people in asia cant you say some people. Also you can mention World or Earth instead of Asia because Asia is in this world.
SYH wrote: It is written in the articles that I provided links. So what might be offensive to you, is not to someone else. I don't owe an apology, you owe me.
I didnt read that article and perhaps I will not. anyone can write anything (like you are doing so far) that doesn't mean the statement is true. Only sick people like you take them seriously and post it in a forum which is suppose to help out each other. you are spoiling a healthy environment of this forum.
Why don't you visit a phyciatrist instead of sharing your sick metality here
HMMM, some people don't understand how the English language works. General Statements do not mean everybody and everything. If I expected the inquisition in terms of precision, then I would have narrowed it down by country. But really, if you want to read it that I meant every single asian country and every person living in that asian country spits, that's absurd.
the articles quoted are from legitimate news sources so now that I have proof, you won't look at it because then you will have to admit you are wrong.

champion

Post by champion » Fri Jun 15, 2007 3:01 pm

SYH wrote: HMMM, some people don't understand how the English language works. General Statements do not mean everybody and everything. If I expected the inquisition in terms of precision, then I would have narrowed it down by country. But really, if you want to read it that I meant every single asian country and every person living in that asian country spits, that's absurd.
the articles quoted are from legitimate news sources so now that I have proof, you won't look at it because then you will have to admit you are wrong.
And where does it says that those people believe spitting is good for their health
Where does it says everyone does that.
Numbers might be even less than British people spit.
As I said People spit because they have a bad habit and it happens in all the country/ culture. Civilised people spit in sink/ apropriate place and uncivilised people spit on ground.
You can find both civilised and uncivilised people in every culture and location. Ratio will be different.
Even british people smoke in bed.
As far as I could see the Chinese government is trying to make the small ratio of these people even smaller which is a good practise.
Only people like you interprate that people in China thinks it is good for their health and thats why they spit.
SYH wrote: HMMM, some people don't understand how the English language works. General Statements do not mean everybody and everything.
Then why give a general statement and blame people to take it seriously what about this statement?
In SYH's country people carry guns and knife all the time and they can shoot anyone anywhere anytime just because they like to do so.

Now in every country you have gun crime to some extend and some people carry guns but I have given a General Statements that do not mean everybody and everything

Language is a mean of expressing feeling emotion or things. English is no where different from any other language. MAy be people surrounded by you speak language like this and I wont be surprise by that as they share the same sick metal problem that you have. But NORMAL people don't give general statement like this

SYH
BANNED

Post by SYH » Fri Jun 15, 2007 3:12 pm

Go to the link, it states people spit because they think its healthy, obviously you missed it, so go back and read it again.

In asia, means somewhere in asia, it doesn't mean all of asia. You read it all of asia, and I have explained that it doesnt mean all of asia, if this is not good enough for you, then that's on you.

I am not going to reply point by point because it is clear you don't read what I write or you wouldn't keep asking the same questions or continue to get upset.

if you go back and reread it without getting emotional, you would see the spirit in which it was written.

In any case, I think it is time to put this thread to bed.

captain74

Moderators - please step in

Post by captain74 » Fri Jun 15, 2007 3:19 pm

Can I request the moderators to please step in and close this topic off.

This is getting a bit heated and personal now. Surely a public forum is not the right place for duels :). Can the individuals please carry on with this (if they want to) outside this forum?

Thanks

Marco 72
Diamond Member

Post by Marco 72 » Fri Jun 15, 2007 3:27 pm

A friend of mine who teaches at an Italian university told me that some years ago they had a Chinese PhD student who used to spit on the floor during lectures. In the end a junior member of the department was given the embarrassing task of explaining to him that spitting was considered bad manners.

sakura
Diamond Member

Post by sakura » Fri Jun 15, 2007 3:42 pm

Marco 72 wrote:A friend of mine who teaches at an Italian university told me that some years ago they had a Chinese PhD student who used to spit on the floor during lectures. In the end a junior member of the department was given the embarrassing task of explaining to him that spitting was considered bad manners.
Oh my goodness!! That's funny but at the same time, I bet almost everyone in the lecture (whether they were Italian or other international students) must have been horrified!

I didn't want this thread to go down like this :( but in the end, maybe it is right for these newcomer packs to at least mention the spitting issue as an aside. I guess social manners are very important (like, when NOT to eat with your hands or burp/fart loud in public places! Or yawning without covering one's mouth :x ). But, I think everyone in the country should (re)learn these things, because we can't act like the Brits are any better behaved, in the UK or elsewhere.

I mean, did anyone read about the Brit who was arrested in Rep. Slovak because he was dancing around naked and drunk? I read a comment from a newspaper reader about how the government/police were just ruining the fun. Then someone replied that the man was in an area equivalent to Trafalgar Square and, regardless, (some) British people never seem to care much about other cultural manners. Whatever they think is fun/acceptable, they do, with no thought for 'indigenous' peoples, but they are always complaining about immigrants/visitors spoiling the UK. Well, that was the gist of the argument... :roll:

nonothing

Post by nonothing » Fri Jun 15, 2007 3:45 pm

alright, this's getting more and more focused on chinese people spitting.

before the moderators close this thread off, i'd add one more post from me here.

to SYH, i followed your links and read the articles and couldn't find anything about that chinese think spitting is good for their health. maybe after you read it, the editor found it inaccurate hence deleted it.

to Marco 72, yes, one chinese PHD student spat. so what are you suggesting? if i tell you i never spat in public, would you reckon no chinese spits?
Last edited by nonothing on Fri Jun 15, 2007 3:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SYH
BANNED

Post by SYH » Fri Jun 15, 2007 3:59 pm

China warns tourists against spitting overseas
May 5, 2006

BEIJING (Reuters) - Some Chinese tourists have been warned that while spitting, slurping food and jumping queues may merely disgust people at home, they are sometimes not tolerated abroad, Xinhua news agency said on Friday.

Article Tools
Printer friendly
E-mail to a friend
World RSS feed
Available RSS feeds
Most e-mailed
More:
Globe World stories |
Latest world news |
Globe front page |
Boston.com
Sign up for: Globe Headlines e-mail | Breaking News Alerts The increasing number of Chinese tourists traveling abroad may be a huge new source of income to destination countries, but that won't prevent complaints against individuals from reflecting badly on all of China, Xinhua said.

"The media in Singapore reports that hotel staff are upset with Chinese tourists spitting in their rooms and smoking in bed," it said.

"...Singapore airline companies also criticized Chinese tourists for talking loudly and being very rude. Even Hong Kong newspapers have pointed out that some mainlanders lack manners and social graces."

Beijing residents said last year spitting in public was what they could not stand most about living in the Chinese capital, followed close behind by dog owners who fail to clean up after their pets.

Beijing has launched a campaign to make its citizens more "civil" in the run-up to hosting the 2008 Olympics. Games organizers have repeatedly said the city needs to teach its people to stand in line, stop spitting and littering and generally be better mannered.

Past efforts to stamp out the spitting habit, like a 2003 campaign to help curb the spread of SARS, have not been very effective, partly because many people believe clearing the lungs and firing away is good for your health.

OL7MAX
Member of Standing

Post by OL7MAX » Fri Jun 15, 2007 4:00 pm

I spit on this thread.

avjones
Diamond Member
United Kingdom

Post by avjones » Sat Jun 16, 2007 12:43 am

Wanderer wrote:I think 'chav' is an acronym isn't it? Council Housed And Violent.
I think that's a post-usage back formation, rather than the other way round.
I am not, and cannot, offer legal advice to particular people. I can only discuss general areas of immigration law.

People should always consider obtaining professional advice about their own particular circumstances.

peppa p
Newly Registered

Post by peppa p » Tue Jun 19, 2007 2:09 pm

chill out guys this is only a discussions we are now straying from the main objective, we are all immigrants lets stick together "united we rule, divided we fall" chin up :)

SYH
BANNED

Post by SYH » Tue Jun 19, 2007 3:20 pm

You are a little late, as this has already cooled down.

OL7MAX
Member of Standing

Post by OL7MAX » Tue Jun 19, 2007 4:41 pm

May I use this opportunity to officially welcome "post-usage back formation" to the English language? :-)

I do like it in a strange Orwellian kinda way.

avjones
Diamond Member
United Kingdom

Post by avjones » Tue Jun 19, 2007 6:21 pm

OL7MAX wrote:May I use this opportunity to officially welcome "post-usage back formation" to the English language? :-)

I do like it in a strange Orwellian kinda way.
I thank you <bows>.

"Back formation" is a valid phrase, however - "backronym

[portmanteau of back + acronym] A word interpreted as an acronym that was not originally so intended. This is a special case of what linguists call back formation"

the same site reckons I'm right about chav (-:

"The accepted etymology for "chav" is that it derives from the Romani word "chavi", meaning a child.[4] Related words derived from the same source include "charva" (used in northern England in a similar sense) and perhaps the obsolescent "young shaver" (meaning a boy). In modern Spanish "chaval" means "lad".[5].

There are a large number of synonyms and regional variations of "chav", including "scally", "townie", "ned", "kev", "yarco", "dobber", "Mallie"[6], "Meader"[7], and in some areas, "Pikey".

Many folk etymologies have sprung up around the word. These include backronyms such as "Council Housed And Violent"[8] and "Council House Associated Vermin" and "Cheap And Vulgar". It has also been suggested that pupils at Cheltenham Ladies' College and Cheltenham College used the word to describe the younger men of the town ("Cheltenham Average")..[9] It is similarly thought to refer to Chatham Average."
I am not, and cannot, offer legal advice to particular people. I can only discuss general areas of immigration law.

People should always consider obtaining professional advice about their own particular circumstances.

William Blake
Member of Standing

Post by William Blake » Tue Jun 19, 2007 10:57 pm

"The accepted etymology for "chav" is that it derives from the Romani word "chavi",
Spitting mad lyrics...

Say have you read any of my poems Amanda. I think it would be quite scintillating to share some of my more fascinating works with you - over a cup of tea :lol:
Every night and every morn
Some to misery are born.
Every morn and every night
Some are born to sweet delight.
Some are born to sweet delight,
Some are born to endless night

avjones
Diamond Member
United Kingdom

Post by avjones » Tue Jun 19, 2007 11:27 pm

I have indeed read your poems under your signature!

I love language, I only wish I spoke more and better, especially Urdu and Hebrew.