ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

INDEFINATE LEAVE TO REMAIN

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

roninxxx

INDEFINATE LEAVE TO REMAIN

Post by roninxxx » Fri Jun 15, 2007 2:23 pm

Hi,

My wife was recently granted a two year "spouse visa" just thinking ahead before the two years ends am I right in assuming that she needs to apply for ILR and the form we would fill out is form set(m)?

In addition this are there any formalaties we need to complete in regard to getting married at the registrars office? I.e. do we need to inform the home office?

Cheers.
Last edited by roninxxx on Fri Jun 15, 2007 2:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Docterror
United Kingdom

Re: INDEFINATE LEAVE TO REMAIN

Post by Docterror » Fri Jun 15, 2007 2:34 pm

roninxxx wrote:Hi,

My wife was recently granted a two year "spouse visa" just thinking ahead before the two years ends am I right in assuming that she needs to apply for ILR and the form we would fill out is form set(m)?

In addition this are there any formalaties we need to complete in regarding to getting married at the registrars office? I.e. do we need to inform the home office?

Cheers.
I am sorry but I don't understand your question. Are you going to get married to your wife who has already been issued with a Spouse visa?
Jabi

roninxxx

Post by roninxxx » Fri Jun 15, 2007 2:55 pm

Hi,

Apologies I should have been more clear, my wife who I married in another country is now in the UK after being granted a spouse visa for two years.

I want to marry her in the UK so we can legally be husband and wife in the UK......

eliasuk4u
Member of Standing

Post by eliasuk4u » Fri Jun 15, 2007 3:22 pm

roninxxx, your question is very confusing.
my wife who I married in another country is now in the UK after being granted a spouse visa for two years

I want to marry her in the UK so we can legally be husband and wife in the UK......
How did you prove to British high commission that you are husband and wife to get your 2 year spouse visa?? For your information Spouse visa is only issued to those who fulfill the requirements of immigration rules one of which is that you both must have met and married to each other and intened to live together as husband and wife.

If your wife already have 2 year spouse visa then you do not need to marry again in UK to get British style marriage certificate. You can submit the same marriage certificate (Transation by approved person or agency if its not in English) for your wife indefinite leave to remain... And, yes you have to fill SET(M) form and don't forget that she has to pass Life in the UK test before applying.
Last edited by eliasuk4u on Fri Jun 15, 2007 3:48 pm, edited 3 times in total.

yankeegirl

Post by yankeegirl » Fri Jun 15, 2007 3:22 pm

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2007 1:55 pm Post subject:
Hi,

Apologies I should have been more clear, my wife who I married in another country is now in the UK after being granted a spouse visa for two years.

If you were married in another country and the marriage was legal in that country then your marriage is recognized and legal in the UK. If your marriage were not considered to be legal in the UK, your wife would not have been issued with the spousal visa.

Yes, in two years time, within 28 days prior to the visa expiration, your wife will apply for ILR. Do remember also that she will have to take and pass the Life in the UK test prior to the ILR application.

roninxxx

Post by roninxxx » Fri Jun 15, 2007 4:21 pm

Hi,

Yes I married my wife in another country and were then issued with a spouse visa I was under the assumption that once in the UK we would have to marry here too... I guess not then..