ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

British passport??

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

Mars007

British passport??

Post by Mars007 » Thu Jun 14, 2007 8:24 pm

My wife and my son came over to Britain on suppose and dependent visa last year. My son was born last year but instead of applying for British passport I applied for a visa as some one told me that the application will be processed quicker( it was a mistake). Now my son and wife are here in UK. I was born in UK and I am working full time in IT. I was wondering whether I could apply for British passport for my son rather than applying for ILR. My questions are if some one could kindly reply. I relied heavily on this site when I applied for Visa for my Mrs.

(1) Can I apply for the British Passport without having to apply for ILR for my son who is only 1 year old.

(2) What is the procedure for making application for the British Passport?

Thanks

JAJ
Australia

Re: British passport??

Post by JAJ » Thu Jun 14, 2007 11:35 pm

Mars007 wrote:My wife and my son came over to Britain on suppose and dependent visa last year. My son was born last year but instead of applying for British passport I applied for a visa as some one told me that the application will be processed quicker( it was a mistake). Now my son and wife are here in UK. I was born in UK and I am working full time in IT. I was wondering whether I could apply for British passport for my son rather than applying for ILR. My questions are if some one could kindly reply. I relied heavily on this site when I applied for Visa for my Mrs.

(1) Can I apply for the British Passport without having to apply for ILR for my son who is only 1 year old.

(2) What is the procedure for making application for the British Passport?
1. If you are a British citizen born or naturalised in the UK, then your son is a British citizen by descent and needs a British passport.

It's not clear why he was issued a visa as this should not have happened.

What country was he born in? Depending on the answer you should also get him a consular birth certificate?

2. http://www.passports.gov.uk

Mars007

Post by Mars007 » Fri Jun 15, 2007 6:56 pm

He was born in Pakistan and has got a Pakistani passport and hence the visa instead of a British passport. Can I apply for British passport now? I was born in UK.

JAJ
Australia

Post by JAJ » Fri Jun 15, 2007 11:41 pm

Mars007 wrote:He was born in Pakistan and has got a Pakistani passport and hence the visa instead of a British passport. Can I apply for British passport now? I was born in UK.
If you were born in the UK, you should apply for him to be issued with:

- a British passport; and
- a British birth certificate from either the High Commission in Pakistan or the Foreign Office in London.

The only complication might be if you married the mother after he was born - when did you get married?

Mars007

Post by Mars007 » Sat Jun 16, 2007 7:39 pm

Thanks Jaj, I was married before he was born. How do I apply and what forms do I have to fill in and how much is the fee. I would appreciate your reply.

JAJ
Australia

Post by JAJ » Sat Jun 16, 2007 10:34 pm

Mars007 wrote:Thanks Jaj, I was married before he was born. How do I apply and what forms do I have to fill in and how much is the fee. I would appreciate your reply.
For a British passport : http://www.passports.gov.uk

To obtain a British consular birth certificate, contact:

Nationality & Consular Registration Section
Consular Directorate
Foreign & Commonwealth Office
Old Admiralty Building, London SW1A 2PA.

tel: 020 7008 1500