ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

non EEA family member Student Finance available

Use this section for any queries concerning the EU Settlement Scheme, for applicants holding pre-settled and settled status.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

serengetisunshine
Newly Registered

non EEA family member Student Finance available

Post by serengetisunshine » Sun Nov 17, 2013 4:40 pm

Hi Guys
I wonder if you can help me or offer some advice – there seems to be allot of conflicting information about this subject out there so I’m not sure which is right .

I am originally from South Africa and have a residence card – I am an unmarried partner of an EEA national, partner is Dutch – and have now been in the UK for 3 years so I have 2 years left before (ILR)– I would like to know if I would be able to and qualify for student finance – and perhaps a maintenance loan / Grant –

I have read numerous posts about Family members of EEA nationals possibly get student finance (tuition fee loans only ) – what about non EEA family members though ?, I understand that I would be exercising the same rights as my partner – but again am uncertain as to which category I fall in to ?

Thank in advanced for your help and advice guys

Zoe

Imshzd

Re: non EEA family member Student Finance available

Post by Imshzd » Sun Nov 17, 2013 5:05 pm

serengetisunshine wrote:Hi Guys
I wonder if you can help me or offer some advice – there seems to be allot of conflicting information about this subject out there so I’m not sure which is right .

I am originally from South Africa and have a residence card – I am an unmarried partner of an EEA national, partner is Dutch – and have now been in the UK for 3 years so I have 2 years left before (ILR)– I would like to know if I would be able to and qualify for student finance – and perhaps a maintenance loan / Grant –

I have read numerous posts about Family members of EEA nationals possibly get student finance (tuition fee loans only ) – what about non EEA family members though ?, I understand that I would be exercising the same rights as my partner – but again am uncertain as to which category I fall in to ?

Thank in advanced for your help and advice guys

Zoe

Brief answere is this.

http://www.ukcisa.org.uk/International- ... -eligible/

serengetisunshine
Newly Registered

Post by serengetisunshine » Sun Nov 17, 2013 9:09 pm

Hi Imshzd

Thank you for yoru response - you see this is what confuses me as I dont know or understand which catergory I fall in to ?

Imshzd

Post by Imshzd » Sun Nov 17, 2013 10:09 pm

Once you get settled status then you can get all student finance benefits.
Your status is non settled at the moment so you are in the non settle catagery and you can apply all student finances for non settled catagery.

el patron
Member of Standing

Post by el patron » Tue Nov 19, 2013 8:21 pm

Did you apply on form EEA2 for a Residence Document as an extended family member (durable partner) of an EEA national? If you have that residence document you are eligible under category 5 of the aforementioned ukcisa document.

(On reading this I also think if you applied now and were granted the EEA residence document you would also then qualify for support)

Category 5: Non-UK European Economic Area and Swiss workers and familyYou are eligible for Student Support if you meet the following criteria:

(a) you must be:

a non-UK EEA national, or a Swiss national, and resident in the UK as a worker; or
the relevant family member of such a worker
and

(b) you must be ordinarily resident in England on the first day of the first academic year of the course unless you are an EEA or Swiss frontier worker or relevant family member of a frontier worker; and

(c) you must have been ordinarily resident in the UK or elsewhere in the EEA and/or Switzerland for three years before the first day of the first academic year of the course.

Note:

If you are an eligible direct descendant (see the definition of a relevant family member) of an EEA worker who is no longer working or living in the UK, you can still be eligible for Student Support if you came to the UK to accompany your EEA worker parent.
If you or your relevant family member becomes an EEA or Swiss worker part-way through your course, seek advice from your institution, your Students' Union or our Students' Advice Line about whether you will become eligible for Student Support. See also How to apply for Student Support.