ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Croydon appointment experience

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

Tamzin27
Newly Registered

Croydon appointment experience

Post by Tamzin27 » Fri Jun 08, 2007 9:15 am

Hi everybody,

I've got an appointment on the 19th June 2007 at the Croydon office. I will be applying for ILR based on my 5 yrs Work Permit. Can anyone who has been to the Croydon Office lately, please post a message and tell me about your experience. Do they check all your documents before taking your money etc. How long did they take to make a decision? Were you successful or not? The more details, the better.

Thanks
Jaz

clairey

Post by clairey » Fri Jun 08, 2007 1:19 pm

Hi,

We applied at Croydon back in March for my husband's ILR. We arrived earlier than our appointment time (9am - I figured there would be less backlog at that time) and went in to go through the security check (like at an airport - metal detector etc).

We queued up to have our documents checked at a window. The man confirmed our appointment, and then had a brief look at all our documents. As we had a complete mountain of paperwork, he was happy and gave us a ticket with a number on it and told us to go up to the first floor and pay.

Went upstairs, and there was no queue at all. Paid by credit card, and were told to take a seat until our number was called. By this point it was only 8:45, so we had a bit of a wait.

At just gone 9am, our number was called, and we went and sat down in front of another window. The man had a look through our application form, and then began to look through all our documents, putting them into 2 piles - 1 that he could use, and 1 that he couldn't. He went off and photocopied everything he could use, and gave us back all our documents. He kept my husband's passport and said it would take approx 1-2 hours to issue his visa, we could either stay inside and wait, or go out and come back later. We chose to go out and have a coffee and look round the shops.

We came back about an hour and a half later, went through security again, and then went back upstairs to enquire if his passport was ready. To our surprise, we were told it had been done in about 20 mins!

All rather painless, which was a nice surprise!

Good luck!

Rover8098

Post by Rover8098 » Sat Jun 09, 2007 11:23 pm

I had a pretty much similar experience as clairey when I went to the PEO at Croydon around 9 months ago. I was actually shocked at how efficient the entire process was and felt the money they were charging was worth it (I paid the lower sum before they increased it this year, so you may not agree!) as I was in and out with my ILR within 3 hours!

If it's a strightforward case i.e. you have never had any issues with Immigration in the past, then there is no reason why you won't have a similar sort of positive experience.

Good luck and hope everything goes well for you.

SYH
BANNED

Post by SYH » Sat Jun 09, 2007 11:24 pm

clairey wrote: The man had a look through our application form, and then began to look through all our documents, putting them into 2 piles - 1 that he could use, and 1 that he couldn't.

Can you tell us what stuff he found useful and what he didn't?
Last edited by SYH on Sat Jun 09, 2007 11:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rover8098

Post by Rover8098 » Sat Jun 09, 2007 11:27 pm

You have something to add SYH??

maple leaf

Post by maple leaf » Sat Jun 09, 2007 11:44 pm

SYH wrote:
clairey wrote: The man had a look through our application form, and then began to look through all our documents, putting them into 2 piles - 1 that he could use, and 1 that he couldn't.

Can you tell us what stuff he found useful and what he didn't?
I am very interested to know as well.

Clairey, did you say it was your husband's application for ILR, how about you then? Did they allow you to stay with your husband in the interview?

Thanks

Tamzin27
Newly Registered

Thanks

Post by Tamzin27 » Sun Jun 10, 2007 3:35 pm

Thanks so much for your replies. Very positive. I feel better now.
Jaz

timefactor
Member of Standing

Post by timefactor » Mon Jun 11, 2007 12:45 pm

Thanks for sharing the experience. It will be handy for me as well!

clairey

Post by clairey » Mon Jun 11, 2007 12:48 pm

Erm, don't know exactly what he found useful and what he didn't, as he had them on the other side of the glass partition and they were upside down!

We took things like joint bank statements, our credit card bills, water bills, electricity bills, letters from the doctor and dentist. Basically I took everything I could find that looked official for the last 2 years, as we'd been living at my parents house and didn't have utility bills in our own names for the first year and a half.

Yes, I was allowed to sit with him, but it wasn't an interview, it was more a case of them checking the form and that we had the correct evidence. He didn't ask us any questions.

jazbaati99

Post by jazbaati99 » Mon Jun 11, 2007 1:59 pm

The only thing that I would add is do not volunteer any information. Just respond to what ever the case worker asks (If he/she does indeed asks anything). Usually what they ask at the start is to hand them over your application and supporting documents. They may ask you for further documents and usually only questions in order to clarify something otherwise they will keep working on their computer.

All the best and let us know how it go.

Euclase
Newly Registered

Post by Euclase » Tue Jun 12, 2007 1:22 pm

I've got my ILR interview/appointment in a few weeks and I'm dreading it already, although we've got a massive indexed file with everthing covering the two years waiting ready to go. Joint statements, wage slips, HR & Customs correspondance, letters from both the doctor and dentist confirming addresses and how long we had been registered there. Credit Card statments as well I did a count last night and we're taking up about 50 peices of evidence, so if they turn me down they had better have a good reason :lol:

I was at Croyden two years ago for my spousal visa and it was ok there, but I couldnt hear a word the woman was asking me !

I hope they've improved the speakers and mics for when I go up there.

Tamzin27
Newly Registered

Post by Tamzin27 » Tue Jun 12, 2007 10:11 pm

Hello All,

Thanks again for replying to my thread. What I'd like to ask is, do you think I should put my married name on the application form or not? All the documents the Home Office and Work Permit Department have on me, are on my maiden name. I got married two years ago and never informed the Home Office that my surname has now changed. My old passport is on my maiden name and has now expired. I have a new passport but on my married name. My visa is on my old passport. Would that be a problem? I would rather they put my ILR stamp in my new passport.

Thanks
Jaz

jes2jes

Post by jes2jes » Wed Jun 13, 2007 11:45 am

My old passport is on my maiden name and has now expired. I have a new passport but on my married name. My visa is on my old passport. Would that be a problem? I would rather they put my ILR stamp in my new passport.
I am assuming you have your old passport after getting the new passport in your maiden name. Both passports need to be attached when applying for ILR. Don't forget to include the original marriage certificate with the application and the ILR stamp would be issued in the name in your current passport no matter what your marriage certificate says. My wife has not changed her passport since we got married and all her FLR are always issued in her maiden name since that is what is in her passport.

You would be fine.
Praise The Lord!!!!

Tamzin27
Newly Registered

Post by Tamzin27 » Wed Jun 13, 2007 12:53 pm

Thanks so much for your advice. I'll take both passports.

JazThanks

maple leaf

Post by maple leaf » Wed Jun 13, 2007 6:47 pm

Hi guys

Can you fill in those forms in PC? or do you have to print out the form and then fill the form by handwriting.

I could fill the form before in the PC and I found now I can not

Tamzin27
Newly Registered

Post by Tamzin27 » Wed Jun 13, 2007 7:25 pm

I'm not sure if you can. I've downloaded mine and printed them. Making two copies just in case and taking a blank one with me. Are you going for ILR too?

Jaz

firstime

Post by firstime » Thu Jun 14, 2007 9:17 am

Has anyone been to the HO and apply under work permit for 5 years? Please share some experiences... thanks

Tamzin27
Newly Registered

Message to Firstime

Post by Tamzin27 » Sat Jun 16, 2007 8:54 am

Firstime, when is your ILR due and when are you going to the HO? I will let you know how it goes for me as I'm going to the HO on Tuesday. I'm in same position as u, 5 yrs work permit etc.
Jaz

firstime

Re: Message to Firstime

Post by firstime » Mon Jun 18, 2007 9:22 am

I lot of good luck for tomorrow. I am still thinking if i should send it by post or go in person at the moment- will be great to know your experience tomorrow. Wish you all the best!

Tamzin27 wrote:Firstime, when is your ILR due and when are you going to the HO? I will let you know how it goes for me as I'm going to the HO on Tuesday. I'm in same position as u, 5 yrs work permit etc.
Jaz

maple leaf

Post by maple leaf » Mon Jun 18, 2007 6:16 pm

Hi Jez

All the best wishes for tomorrow!

Mapleleaf

jaas

Post by jaas » Tue Jun 19, 2007 1:37 pm

Hi Tamzin27,

How did it go then ....waiting to hear your experience ......

Hope you already got your ILR and celebrating ...!!! ...

Euclase
Newly Registered

Post by Euclase » Tue Jun 19, 2007 6:21 pm

Tamzin .. how'd you get on ? Hope you did alright and your out celebrating 8)

easylife4me

Post by easylife4me » Tue Jun 19, 2007 10:07 pm

taz.. i hope you got ilr.. please share the experience
THANKS

Tamzin27
Newly Registered

I succeeded, Hoorah!

Post by Tamzin27 » Tue Jun 19, 2007 10:27 pm

Dear All,
Thanks for yor Good Luck messages. I succeeded, Hooray! I know lots of you want to know how it went. I will try be very specific but if I've missed something, please ask me.

My appointment was 1230hrs, but I was asked to get there for 1200hrs. We got there half an hour early, but were asked, by a very arrogant security guard, to queue up outside. Not many people were outside. Very different experience to when I went there 5 years ago. At 1200hrs, we were allowed to go through security (like at the airport). we had to remove our belts, phones, glasses etc. Just like at the airport. Then we had to queue up again on the ground floor. There, they checked if my application form was valid and if I had all the documents needed. I can tell you that the guy who checked my documents on the gorund floor was very arrogant and a foreigner himself. My husband who is British, was appalled by the attitude of this man. Wonder if they have any personal skills at all. Anyway, all my documents were relevant and we were told to go on 1st Floor to pay. He also gave us two more papers that he had done himself (like a summary of my case).

We queued up again on 1st Floor, where we had to pay £950. This was quite quick and the cashier kept the first 3 pages of my application form.
Then we were sent to the 2nd Floor where we sat and waited for our number to be called. We gathered that the numbers were called according to who paid first on the 1st Floor.

My number was called after about 45 minutes. We saw a case worker who was behind a glass window. He immediately assumed I was applying for ILR based on spouse visa, when he saw my husband. But when he saw my application form, he said "oh, based on Work Permit". Anyway, the case worker was very polite, took his time and very reassuring. He said it was very straight forward.

But when he looked at the stamp in my passport, he frowned. He said the date was not what he wanted to see. For those of you who know about my case, you'll understand. He said they count the 5 years based on the date that the visa was granted, which meant I was too early. I explained that the Work Permit department have told me that there was a delay in when my passport was stamped. Even though he checked on his computer system, he asked me if I had my visa stamped somewhere else. Fortunately, I had the letter that comes with your Work Permit. He said that's what he was looking for. We were so relieved.

He went and did some photocopies. Came back, typed some stuff on his computer and then told me that I was successful. He was very formal when he read the conditions. He said we'll get my passport back within an hour to an hour and a half. We decided not to go out and sat in front of the Desk where my passport was being dealt with. My passport was ready within 30 minutes.

I'm so chuffed. I have been so patient for the past 8 years. Can't believe it. I now have the freedom to change jobs and have the peace of mind that I can be with my son and husband, without any visa hassle. I had the choice to go for spouse visa, if I wasn't successful. But no need for that now.

Thanks a lot for all your advices and good luck messages. If you have any questions, post a message. I'll check my thread everyday for the next few weeks.

Good luck
Jaz

Tamzin27
Newly Registered

Celebrating

Post by Tamzin27 » Tue Jun 19, 2007 10:37 pm

Wish I could go out celebrating, but I have a 5 months old baby boy sleeping. May be another day, but at least my husband cooked me a nice dinner. £950 well spent. All worth it. If your case is straight forward and if you have the money, i'd recommend you to go in person.

Jaz