ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

References for Naturalisation

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

botech12
Newly Registered

References for Naturalisation

Post by botech12 » Wed Sep 18, 2013 2:24 pm

Hi

I am planning to apply for Naturalisation within the next few weeks and I wanted to check if the refreneces that I have is sufficient.
Reference 1 - My landlord. He is a British citizen and I have know him for more than 5 years. He is retired.

Refrence 2 - A work colleague of mine. He has a Bachelor degree in ENgineering and is working as a IT Consultant. I have know him for over 5 years. He is not a British citizen.

Are these references valid and sufficient

nathan_nathan

Post by nathan_nathan » Wed Sep 18, 2013 2:40 pm

I think your reference 2 is risky - Is the IT consultant having his/her limited company and director of it? I would still suggest to look out for a professional person as specified in the UKBA home office ( Accountants, Driving instructors, Directors of VAT paying company etc)

botech12
Newly Registered

Post by botech12 » Wed Sep 18, 2013 2:54 pm

Thanks Nathan for your reply.

No he is not.

I am finding it difficult to find a reference exactly as per the list from UKBA as my residence has moved every 1 year. So GPs/chemists all ruled out.

I am surprised that with an Engineering degree and working as a IT Consultant is not professional.

VR

The IT pro is fine

Post by VR » Wed Sep 18, 2013 3:21 pm

botech12,

There is a lot of fear and phobias surrounding who can be a referee and who cannot.

The second referee from the looks of it is an IT consultant whom you have known for 5 years. If he has been working in this domicile apparently he should have entered on a settlement route and as such his credentials were valid .

Also the requirement for referees as per the guidance is one of them can be an overseas professional (this needs no test for equivalency etc).

I believe you are absolutely fine. Apologies Nathan_nathan for differing.
cheers
vr

botech12
Newly Registered

Post by botech12 » Wed Sep 18, 2013 3:44 pm

Thanks a lot VR.

In fact he has got ILR and applied for naturalisation now.

VR

do you see the logic

Post by VR » Wed Sep 18, 2013 5:46 pm

botech12,

Everyone should be aware that the Immigration Journey begins with the first application for leave to remain. These come with stringent conditions for non-eu people like degree (equivalent to UK degrees), Monetary contribution etc.

So if a person is accepted in the immigration journey as a professional then he is perfectly fit to be a referee before he gets his British Passport.

I recently had a person call me asking me in worried tones that he has signed as a referee for one of his friends. He was worried that the penalty will be imposed on him as he only had a PG degree from India. I told him he was fine as he was on Tier 1 General. And the approval went without a hitch too.
cheers
vr

p2kin

Re: References for Naturalisation

Post by p2kin » Wed Sep 18, 2013 7:00 pm

botech12 wrote:Hi

Refrence 2 - A work colleague of mine. He has a Bachelor degree in ENgineering and is working as a IT Consultant. I have know him for over 5 years. He is not a British citizen.
Should be fine.. as long as he's an employee of VAT registered company.

Jambo
Respected Guru

Re: do you see the logic

Post by Jambo » Wed Sep 18, 2013 9:50 pm

VR wrote:So if a person is accepted in the immigration journey as a professional then he is perfectly fit to be a referee before he gets his British Passport.
I disagree. Being accepted as professional for the purposes of visa applications has nothing to do with the ability to act as referee for naturalisation application.
The criteria is quite clear (although vague) - the person needs to have a standing in the community and have something to lose if he acts in bad faith. Normally a person would be considered professional for the purpose of referee is he is registered in a professional body. For IT consultant this can be the British Computer Society.
I recently had a person call me asking me in worried tones that he has signed as a referee for one of his friends. He was worried that the penalty will be imposed on him as he only had a PG degree from India. I told him he was fine as he was on Tier 1 General. And the approval went without a hitch too.
This problem went without a hitch not because the referee was suitable but because the HO don't verify all the referees (saving on resources). He was lucky.

VR

Jambo:The point is

Post by VR » Thu Sep 19, 2013 11:41 am

Dear Jambo,

An IT professional in the context of UK is one Registered with BCS.
An IT Professional in the context of the US may be one who is registered with compTIA

The issue here is if an overseas professional whose qualifications have been accepted by the border agency and is in the middle of his immigration journey, he is perfectly fit for being one of the referees as per the requirements of Naturalization. There will be exceptions who might fudge their qualifications for getting into a foreign country.

Standing in the community is a highly relative and disputable terminology. In villages in India you have ''Doctors'' who are far more respected and revered than chaps that have sweated it , gone abroad and gained foreign degrees.

I hope the UKBA come up with a concise and clear guidance in the near term. Many grey areas subject to endless speculation and turmoil need to be clarified.
cheers
vr

Amber
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by Amber » Thu Sep 19, 2013 3:48 pm

botech12 wrote:Hi

Is it possible to exclude the application for my child (2.5 years) for naturalisation? myself and my wife is planning to apply now as there may be chnages to the rules in october13.
My daughter is born in the UK. I received ILR later on.

Now if I apply for British citizenship, would there be a problem for my daughters immigration status?
**this forum is not intended to be a substitute for professional advice**
Click here to send me a PM regarding an offensive post. Do NOT PM me for immigration advice.

wpilr_nov12
Diamond Member

Post by wpilr_nov12 » Thu Sep 19, 2013 5:54 pm

your daughter was eligible to register as a british citizen immediately after you got ilr. her application is treated separately from yours. as long as it is done before she turns 18 should be fine. i would rather do it together.
Please do not send me PM if I haven't sent you one yet.
My ILR, MN1 and kids PP stories.

botech12
Newly Registered

Post by botech12 » Thu Sep 19, 2013 7:32 pm

Thanks wpilr_nov12.

And thank you all for all the valuable comments.

Jambo
Respected Guru

Post by Jambo » Thu Sep 19, 2013 7:47 pm

Has she got a valid visa? She doesn't need to apply with you now but if she leaves the UK she will need a valid visa to return (even if both parents are British).

botech12
Newly Registered

Post by botech12 » Thu Sep 19, 2013 8:39 pm

She has ILR as I had applied along with my application for ILR.

In this case, even if the parents become British, it shouldnt be a problem isnt it?

Jambo
Respected Guru

Post by Jambo » Thu Sep 19, 2013 9:10 pm

botech12 wrote:She has ILR as I had applied along with my application for ILR.

In this case, even if the parents become British, it shouldnt be a problem isnt it?
Correct. No problem.

asadkhan71

Post by asadkhan71 » Sun Sep 29, 2013 6:00 pm

I am going to apply for naturalisation, I have some question re the referees, I would appreciate someone can answer. I understand what the requirements are in place for referees, one should be person who has standing in the community and other one can be any British citizen over 25 years. I have got a registered nurse for professional nurse the second one is a bit confusing he is living with my sister in law they are not married or not civil partners, can he be a referee? He shares everything wit my sister

botech12
Newly Registered

Post by botech12 » Sat Nov 02, 2013 12:37 pm

Thanks to all for all the help.

Me and my wife got the approval for naturalisation.
I will post the timelines in the thread for naturalisation timelines.

tier1-immigrant

Post by tier1-immigrant » Wed Nov 20, 2013 9:09 pm

A related query. For the second reference, i.e. a non British national, should he been residing in UK for any min number of years ? Addresses of past 3 years is asked in the form. Does that mean referee is expected should have been living in UK for at least 3 years ??

Thanks for any clarification.