ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

degree taught in English certificate

Only for queries regarding Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR). Please use the EU Settlement Scheme forum for queries about settled status under Appendix EU

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

Amber
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by Amber » Fri Oct 11, 2013 1:07 pm

THe safest bet would be a NARIC statement of comparability with proof it was taught in English. T_india it's the English Language assessment that may say the degree is not a C1 standard however, the statement of comparability should be ok.
**this forum is not intended to be a substitute for professional advice**
Click here to send me a PM regarding an offensive post. Do NOT PM me for immigration advice.

t_india

Post by t_india » Fri Oct 11, 2013 1:18 pm

D4109125 wrote:THe safest bet would be a NARIC statement of comparability with proof it was taught in English. T_india it's the English Language assessment that may say the degree is not a C1 standard however, the statement of comparability should be ok.
Amber you are star

then, I would have to apply for the UK NARIC certificate and letter from university, for my wife.
However for me, i think as part of my application to extend my stay in UK under Tier 2 ICT in 2011; i have already demonstrated the english language requriement, and have claimed 10 points.
I have proof of letter from UKBA that indicates that.

Would that be sufficient, or should i also go for the NAIRC certificate again?

vkrao20
Newly Registered

Post by vkrao20 » Fri Oct 11, 2013 1:19 pm

D4109125 wrote:THe safest bet would be a NARIC statement of comparability with proof it was taught in English. T_india it's the English Language assessment that may say the degree is not a C1 standard however, the statement of comparability should be ok.
Are you recommend "NARIC statement of comparability" with proof for both Main Applicant and Partner? I think main applicants have already submitted proof during initial Tier 1(G) application so only required partners right?

Thanks,

bansal.sb
Newly Registered

Post by bansal.sb » Fri Oct 11, 2013 1:22 pm

I called Croydon and they are also not very clear about this english language requirement and evidence required from 28th. The guy said that i should wait till 28th and check their website after that. As earlier mentioned in the thread, PB calculator doesn't tell whether your degree for which it gives 10 points is B1 and above. So its still not clear and grey area at the moment.

t_india

Post by t_india » Fri Oct 11, 2013 4:41 pm

While there is not much calrity around the ENGLISH requirements beyond 28/10.
I need clarification on another aspect; hope this should be straight forward to answer.

My child was born in UK; as per my understanding, i need not apply for ILR for my child, rather directly apply for his citizenship.

Please can my understanding be confirmed?

fannofler

Post by fannofler » Fri Oct 11, 2013 10:38 pm

Will a masters from UK university suffice?
bansal.sb wrote:I called Croydon and they are also not very clear about this english language requirement and evidence required from 28th. The guy said that i should wait till 28th and check their website after that. As earlier mentioned in the thread, PB calculator doesn't tell whether your degree for which it gives 10 points is B1 and above. So its still not clear and grey area at the moment.

sheraz7
Respected Guru

Post by sheraz7 » Fri Oct 11, 2013 10:49 pm

fannofler wrote:Will a masters from UK university suffice?
bansal.sb wrote:I called Croydon and they are also not very clear about this english language requirement and evidence required from 28th. The guy said that i should wait till 28th and check their website after that. As earlier mentioned in the thread, PB calculator doesn't tell whether your degree for which it gives 10 points is B1 and above. So its still not clear and grey area at the moment.
www.immigrationboards.com/viewtopic.php?t=147399
Please donot send PM. Write in open forum to facilitate others too.
REGARDS

fannofler

Post by fannofler » Sat Oct 12, 2013 11:25 am

thanks Sheraz7
sheraz7 wrote:
fannofler wrote:Will a masters from UK university suffice?
www.immigrationboards.com/viewtopic.php?t=147399

bansal.sb
Newly Registered

Post by bansal.sb » Tue Oct 15, 2013 5:44 pm

Check below link. It says at the time of applying for Tier 1 General visa you get 10 points for English language if it is equivalent to C1 or above.

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/polic ... appendixb/

params0073
United Kingdom

Post by params0073 » Thu Oct 17, 2013 3:39 pm

Thanks for pointing this out.

I am aware of this as when you try to use the PBC and click on help it clearly asks you about your degree equivalent to C1 level.

The only this as of now is just wait for the rule to come out rather than speculating.

Param

bansal.sb
Newly Registered

Post by bansal.sb » Thu Oct 17, 2013 3:56 pm

Yeah, i agree. Enough of speculation. I am holding on to my appointment booking and will wait for the rule to become effective from 28th october.

params0073
United Kingdom

Post by params0073 » Thu Oct 24, 2013 3:53 pm

Hi,
I was just going through the old post and came across this. I am nearly in the same situation:-

http://www.immigrationboards.com/viewtopic.php?t=15460

I am getting my English certificate for Master not for becholer degree. Would that be ok or do I need to get it for becholer?

Thanks

Param

BalajiSundaram
Newly Registered

Post by BalajiSundaram » Fri Oct 25, 2013 3:55 pm

I was following the UK gov website link

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/s ... t-koll.pdf

In here, it says the following,

The following groups are considered automatically to meet the English language component of the
KoLL requirement and will not be required to show a formal speaking and listening qualification:
• Nationals of majority English speaking countries (Annex A).
• Those who have obtained a degree taught in English.
Both of these groups will, however, be required to pass the Life in the UK test to demonstrate
their knowledge of life in the UK.

This clearly states a degree taught in English would do to prove your language requirement, but UKBA website seems to do a further check with UK NARIC. However I have emailed UKBA asking for more clarification. I will post it in the forum once I get any update.

Thanks

params0073
United Kingdom

Post by params0073 » Fri Nov 22, 2013 2:27 pm

Hi all,
One more question regarding my wife's degree certificate. Her name in degree in with first name +middle name +fathers first name but in her passport its first name +middle name +surname. Would that be a problem (for KOLL) or should I get a get affidavit from notary (not sure how to do that in UK )?

I know I can re-apply for another certificate with the correct name. The only problem would be to re-apply for degree with her university as the last degree certificate took 2 years to arrive.

Thanks

Param

params0073
United Kingdom

Post by params0073 » Fri Nov 22, 2013 4:02 pm

params0073 wrote:Hi all,
One more question regarding my wife's degree certificate. Her name in degree in with first name +middle name +fathers first name but in her passport its first name +middle name +surname. Would that be a problem (for KOLL) or should I get a get affidavit from notary (not sure how to do that in UK )?

I know I can re-apply for another certificate with the correct name. The only problem would be to re-apply for degree with her university as the last degree certificate took 2 years to arrive.

Thanks

Param
Ok I did searched the old posts and found out that you can get affidavit from HC London for the name mismacth.Can someone confirm that this is right thing to do ?

s_saini
India

Post by s_saini » Mon Nov 25, 2013 9:46 am

Hi

I found more clarity for English requirement for settlements. Qualification which awards points on point based calculator are fine. Please check these lines on the bellow link.
http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/polic ... set/set17/

Check Question "SET17.8 What is the definition of a degree taught in English?"
and read the last lines of the Answer.

"ECOs may find the English Skills section of the PBS Points Calculator helpful when deciding whether a qualification meets the criteria for the English language requirement".

params0073
United Kingdom

Post by params0073 » Mon Nov 25, 2013 2:38 pm

Thanks

Param
Any help would be much appreciated?

Thanks
Param

params0073
United Kingdom

Post by params0073 » Fri Nov 29, 2013 12:19 pm

params0073 wrote:

Thanks

Param
Any help would be much appreciated?

Thanks
Param

Any one ?