ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Warning

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

Kate91
Newly Registered

Warning

Post by Kate91 » Sat Nov 23, 2013 11:16 am

Hi,

I have a query regarding questions number 3.10 - 3.11 on the new version of the application Form AN (dated October 2013). It is concerning any caution, warnings or reprimands in the UK or any other country.

In my particular case, on November the 1st 2013 I visited Ireland from the UK on work-related trip (attending a conference). I possessed a multiple entry Schengen visa, mistakenly thinking this was valid for the Republic of Ireland.
At Irish border control the officer told me my Schengen visa did not apply to Ireland and said he would issue a visa and wrote the initials V.W. on the visa meaning visa warning. He said this meant that next time I would require a visa or else I wouldn't be granted entry to Ireland and asked me to research online before travelling. I could have chosen not to attend the conference, in which case the V.W. would not have been written on the visa in my passport, but I wanted to attend and didn't think it could be a problem with regards to the British Citizenship application - otherwise I would have chosen not to enter Ireland. The fact that I have indefinite leave to remain in the UK and my husband is British (born in the UK), did not count in Ireland.

For the purposes of section 3.10 - 3.11 does this count as any form of 'official' caution or warning? Should it be declared?

Thanks in advance

VR

Visa Warning

Post by VR » Sat Nov 23, 2013 1:10 pm

Kate91,

It will make no difference if you include the info in page 15 and write in Brief that you had a schenzen visa and thought it was applicable to Republic of Ireland and you proceeded to attend a conference. Mention there a VW remark was put on your passport and you were issued a visa .

Having said this, you can ignore the above and need not disclose. It is not a caution received from the Police.

3.10 and 3.11 refer to the following...

A Police caution that is given by the police to an adult offender (more than 18 yrs)who has admitted guilt for an offence. It is more of a non-statutory disposal or out of court disposal of a minor offence.

If they regarded this as an offence the Irish Border chaps would have done something to prevent you or barring you from re-entering the country.

This was a procedural or administrative remark and the fact that you attended the conference also proves you made a genuine mistake.

Conclusion: You do not have to disclose this. When dealing with authorities you need to be upright and above board without volunteering unnecessary information. Check No on 3.10 and on page 15 mention this as a matter of integrity and you should be fine.

Good Luck.
Cheers
vr

Pqek

Re: Warning

Post by Pqek » Sat Nov 23, 2013 1:27 pm

Kate91 wrote:Hi,

I have a query regarding questions number 3.10 - 3.11 on the new version of the application Form AN (dated October 2013). It is concerning any caution, warnings or reprimands in the UK or any other country.

In my particular case, on November the 1st 2013 I visited Ireland from the UK on work-related trip (attending a conference). I possessed a multiple entry Schengen visa, mistakenly thinking this was valid for the Republic of Ireland.
At Irish border control the officer told me my Schengen visa did not apply to Ireland and said he would issue a visa and wrote the initials V.W. on the visa meaning visa warning. He said this meant that next time I would require a visa or else I wouldn't be granted entry to Ireland and asked me to research online before travelling. I could have chosen not to attend the conference, in which case the V.W. would not have been written on the visa in my passport, but I wanted to attend and didn't think it could be a problem with regards to the British Citizenship application - otherwise I would have chosen not to enter Ireland. The fact that I have indefinite leave to remain in the UK and my husband is British (born in the UK), did not count in Ireland.

For the purposes of section 3.10 - 3.11 does this count as any form of 'official' caution or warning? Should it be declared?

Thanks in advance
VW should stand for visa waiver. I don't think you have any problem.

Kate91
Newly Registered

Post by Kate91 » Sat Nov 23, 2013 2:09 pm

Thanks very much VR & Pqek - very helpful! I also now understand what the V.W. remark meant so it shouldn't be an issue. I'll check No on 3.10 and mention on page 15. Thanks again

Pqek

Post by Pqek » Sat Nov 23, 2013 2:20 pm

Kate91 wrote:Thanks very much VR & Pqek - very helpful! I also now understand what the V.W. remark meant so it shouldn't be an issue. I'll check No on 3.10 and mention on page 15. Thanks again
No need of mention that on the application, you got to Ireland and the immigration officer in charge using the authority given by his government granted you entry with the provision of a visa waiver. There is nothing wrong on that.
You were lucky they allowed you entry as the officer could have perfectly sent you back on the next plane but it was decided otherwise.

To my mind there is absolutely no violation of any law and therefore irrelevant for your citizenship application.

Kate91
Newly Registered

Post by Kate91 » Sat Nov 23, 2013 2:25 pm

OK, thank you

ban.s

Post by ban.s » Sun Nov 24, 2013 8:46 am

Do you hold one of the below passports?

Irish Short Stay Visa Waiver - 2. What nationalities are covered?
Nationals of the following countries are included in the programme:

Eastern Europe: Belarus,Bosnia and Herzegovina,Montenegro,Russian Federation,Serbia, Turkey and Ukraine

Middle East: Bahrain, Kuwait, Oman, Qatar, Saudi Arabia and the United Arab Emirates

Other Asian: India, Kazakhstan, Peoples Republic of China1, Uzbekistan