ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Apply British passport from India for UK born child.

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

ashok2013
Newly Registered

My child doesn't hold any passport

Post by ashok2013 » Tue Oct 15, 2013 11:44 pm

Hello Sir,

My child (2 months old) doesn't hold any passport at present. Born in India but by descent British (i.e Father holding british passport).

Thanks
Child's father

buchade_p
Newly Registered

Re: Apply British passport from India for UK born child.

Post by buchade_p » Thu Oct 17, 2013 3:07 pm

Hi Manoj & Administrators,
I have exactly same situation & I am following exact foot steps to get my kids(born in UK currently in INDIA) Passport. I am happy to tell you that after following first few steps & support from administrators I manage to get ILR (myself + dependent) yesterday.
I am happy to share information if anyone needs it.
Now Challenge is to Register child to BC using MN1 form:
Since the Kids (born in UK: age 1year, currently in INDIA) and wife will be in INDIA after few days.

I need to know what are the documents we need to submit along with MN1?
Administrators can you please let me know what are the mandatory docs? Manoj what docs you had submitted with the form? where did you mentioned your kids are currently in INDIA? did you submit kids INDIAN Passport with the application? what about parents Passport?

Cheers,
Pankaj

maddyinlon

Post by maddyinlon » Thu Oct 17, 2013 4:13 pm

buchade_p wrote:Hi Manoj & Administrators,
I have exactly same situation & I am following exact foot steps to get my kids(born in UK currently in INDIA) Passport. I am happy to tell you that after following first few steps & support from administrators I manage to get ILR (myself + dependent) yesterday.
I am happy to share information if anyone needs it.
Now Challenge is to Register child to BC using MN1 form:
Since the Kids (born in UK: age 1year, currently in INDIA) and wife will be in INDIA after few days.

I need to know what are the documents we need to submit along with MN1?
Administrators can you please let me know what are the mandatory docs? Manoj what docs you had submitted with the form? where did you mentioned your kids are currently in INDIA? did you submit kids INDIAN Passport with the application? what about parents Passport?

Cheers,
Pankaj

I have recently (Monday of this week) applied for MN1 for my baby in India by post after following this thread.

Basically, you need to fill MN1 application form and can submit form by post or by using NCS service.

In MN1 application, there is a section where you need to fill Child's present address.

Main documents needed are you ILR proof along with your passport and child's birth certificate. You don't need to submit Baby's passport along with your application form. Hope this helps.

buchade_p
Newly Registered

Post by buchade_p » Fri Oct 18, 2013 4:52 pm

Thanks maddyinlon ! Has anyone followed this route and got success?

Does that mean I havnt have to fill in Section 2 RESIDENCE Details of the Form? (Applying under Section 1(3) )

Cheers,
Pankaj

Londonabc
Newly Registered

Post by Londonabc » Thu Nov 21, 2013 7:47 pm

Manoj79 wrote:I have tried to guide through the steps that i followed in order to apply for British passport from India for my UK born child .

Baby born in UK ':D', Aug 2011 to Indian parents holding Tier-1 visa.

Child got Indian passport on September 2011 issued by Indian HC London. Didn't apply for tier-1 dependent visa.

Child travelled along with parents to India on March 2012. (Holidays)

Child remains in India with her grandparents holding Indian passport (until now May 2013). {Child care reason}

Parents got ILR/resident permit on Nov 2012 (2 years HSMP+ 3 years Tier-1).

Parents successfully registered the child as British citizen in UK (using MN1 Form) under Section 1(3) rules. We did mention that child is currently in India.

Received the registration certificate within 30 days from the date of application - April 2013.

Parents sent all the relevant documents to Grandparents for British passport application.

British passport application for child was made to British passport services in Delhi on 1 May 2013 by child's grandparents.

British authorities in India acknowledged the receipt of passport application by email and requested to surrender the Indian passport at regional passport office ASAP before proceeding with the application any further by phone & email. 10 May 2013.

No calls were made at this point to Counter signatory. Referee is a an Engineer living and working in India holding Indian passport.

Child's Indian passport was surrendered at regional passport office, by grandparents.

Child's grandparents surrendered the kids passport and posted the passport surrender certificate to British passport services in Delhi.

British authority in India is now processing my kids British passport application. Yet to receive the passport as on 22 May 2013.
I will update further details as it happens...

Apologies if i take more than your anticipated time to answer your queries.

Thanks
Child's dad

[/b]

Hey Manoj!

Your post has given me a big relief! I am in a similar situation right now. My husband and i got ILr this November and my son was born in June in UK. We have applied for his registration as British citizen using MN1. However, i need to travel to India urgently. So we were wondering if my husband could post the registration certificate to India once it arrives and I could apply British passport for my Son from India!

How long did the process took? Is there a way to fast track British passport application if applied from India?

specy_99
United Kingdom

Post by specy_99 » Thu Nov 21, 2013 11:15 pm

I received ILR in April this year and registered my daughter (born in UK last year) as a British citizen (She was in India at this time).

I submitted the Smart application

https://www.gov.uk/overseas-passports/y ... ying/child

and submitted all the relevant documents (including my daughter registration certificate) .....to

PPT Applications
British High Commission
Shantipath, Chanakyapuri
New Delhi, 110021

BUT they returned the application saying the address should be Her Majesty PPT applications...and no other information was included! I really dont know what to do!!!

Do they accept Smart application in Delhi or does it have to be C2 application??

P.S. Mother doesn't hold any visa for UK yet as she had to return...and now falls under new rules and require salary criteria for spouse visa!

Please help!

specy_99
United Kingdom

Post by specy_99 » Sat Nov 23, 2013 11:46 am

British passport applications from India are changing from Monday onwards....as I just called the HMPO in UK...

The shambolic department haven't even updated this on their website to let the British public know!!
So if anyone applying for British passport from India wait till Monday and the apply!

rivercam

Post by rivercam » Mon Nov 25, 2013 11:26 am

specy

I am in similar boat, I sent application on 11th November and they returned after 2 weeks today and waiting for my wife to scan the letter that came with returned application.
But wife is saying returned because of some missing pregnency care records. god knows what they go do with it,son was born in uk and got registered, included all the ante natal appointments, scans, delivery discharge summary etc.
which number you called for this HMPO? I am really stressed with all this process, I sent all the documents to india and booked tickets to india to sort out this quickly and they have changed again?

Anyways thanks for the update

rivercam

Post by rivercam » Mon Nov 25, 2013 4:46 pm

Specy,

Spoken to HYPO Advice line and got two different answers. One guy told me in the afternoon application need to be send to UK but looking at website in the evening I called them again and told it needs to sent to Delhi. I am very confused why did they returned your application?
Website got updated, yes C2 is replaced with similar standard passport application marked with OS on the corner so credit card form etc.

The guy suggested me to call the telephone line of delhi listed on the website.

specy_99
United Kingdom

Post by specy_99 » Mon Nov 25, 2013 7:31 pm

Yes, I was told this too but on the website it still says send it to British consulate.

I am in UK and my child is in India...and one of the documents required is my passport which means if the application is made from India then I have to send my passport to India?

Doesn't make any sense...I will call again tomorrow!

My daughters application was returned without any explanation! So I have now raised a complaint as the BHC in Delhi should have accepted my application before this change today!

rivercam

Post by rivercam » Mon Nov 25, 2013 8:50 pm

ok
spoken to them again at 7 pm got told they were still under the processing of update but the guy does not want to confirm or take any responsibility. All of the advisers got told by senior management that process is changing and website will get updated today but not was done and they have not given any explanation nor when it will happen. until it get updated according to him application needs to be sent to delhi. but after talking he suggested me to wait until end of this week and decide where to send?

dont know --it's all confusing and complicated. friend of mine applied in uk got in 5 days.

Jambo
Respected Guru

Post by Jambo » Mon Nov 25, 2013 10:20 pm

Please note that as part of global move of overseas passport application handling from FCO to HMPO, there are changes from today to applications made in India. You are now required to send the application directly to the UK.

It still unclear but I suspect this would also mean that if a parent is in the UK, he could apply directly to HMPO within the UK.
Check the FAQ before posting!
Citizenship (adults, children, passport)
EEA (EEA FP, RC, PR, Surinder Singh)

rivercam

Post by rivercam » Mon Nov 25, 2013 10:52 pm

Jambo

where did you get this information? Any link etc?
Please note that as part of global move of overseas passport application handling from FCO to HMPO, there are changes from today to applications made in India. You are now required to send the application directly to the UK

rivercam

Post by rivercam » Wed Nov 27, 2013 10:54 am

specy_99

Any updates? please let me know where to send the form?
thanks

specy_99
United Kingdom

Post by specy_99 » Sat Nov 30, 2013 1:16 pm

Hi Rivercam! Sorry for the delay in response.

HMPO gave me this address to post the application to:

OVERSEAS TEAM 6
HM PASSPORT OFFICE LIVERPOOL
101 OLD HALL STREET
LIVERPOOL
L3 9BP

However, on the website it still says to send the application to:
British High Commission New Delhi
Shantipath, Chanakyapuri
New Delhi 110021
India

The guy said I can phone the BHC and make a appointment with them! and it is so hard to speak to them on the phone as no one answers it!

Jambo
Respected Guru

Post by Jambo » Sat Nov 30, 2013 2:48 pm

Clicking on passport link on BHC gov website takes you to an interactive tool that tell you how to apply for a passport overseas.

rivercam

Post by rivercam » Sat Nov 30, 2013 4:24 pm

specy

I Was given the same address and the guy told me he is 100 percent sure but the website says different. I tried calling bhc delhi and was given email address which of no use. I dont know what to do but I am going to india next week and if possinle i will go in person to submit.

I still can not understand why they returned your application and asked you to send it to HMPO Uk.

jambo
yes that tool helps how to apply but passport advice line is giving uk address and the website is asking to send to new delhi india hence confusion. specy's application returned from delhi saying it needs to be sent to HMPO UK.

thanks

Amber
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by Amber » Sat Nov 30, 2013 4:42 pm

HM Passport Services is/was transferring all processing to the UK including applications abroad. This means that all Passport applications no-matter where the applicant is, will be processed in the UK.
**this forum is not intended to be a substitute for professional advice**
Click here to send me a PM regarding an offensive post. Do NOT PM me for immigration advice.

rivercam

Post by rivercam » Sat Nov 30, 2013 6:13 pm

Amber

That's correct. Though all applications are processed in UK, for some countries like India you can not send application directly to UK. It needs to be first sent to BHC New delhi and get forwarded to HMPO UK.

I don't know what difference it makes because it's HMPO UK who decides the outcome.

thanks

Jambo
Respected Guru

Post by Jambo » Sat Nov 30, 2013 6:38 pm

rivercam wrote:jambo
yes that tool helps how to apply but passport advice line is giving uk address and the website is asking to send to new delhi india hence confusion. specy's application returned from delhi saying it needs to be sent to HMPO UK
Did you check the tool recently? For me, it says that if you are apply from India, application needs to be sent directly to the UK. Simple.

Jambo
Respected Guru

Post by Jambo » Sat Nov 30, 2013 6:42 pm

rivercam wrote:Amber

That's correct. Though all applications are processed in UK, for some countries like India you can not send application directly to UK. It needs to be first sent to BHC New delhi and get forwarded to HMPO UK.

I don't know what difference it makes because it's HMPO UK who decides the outcome.

thanks
Not really. In the past, you would have applied to BHC and then FCO would issue the passport. This is changing now (already started several months ago in other locations), HMPO will take ownership of all passports (including overseas) and hence you don't apply via BHC anymore but directly to the HMPO in the UK.

rivercam

Post by rivercam » Sat Nov 30, 2013 7:13 pm

Jambo,

yes i checked it is asking me to send it to india not to uk, here is the link

https://www.gov.uk/overseas-passports/y ... ed-kingdom
Making your application
You must post your completed form and original supporting documents.

If you’re renewing a passport, you must include your current passport and a full colour photocopy of the entire passport (every page including blank pages).

You can’t travel with it after you’ve applied for a new one - but you will be able to keep your existing passport for ID purposes.

British High Commission New Delhi
Shantipath, Chanakyapuri
New Delhi 110021
India

Jambo
Respected Guru

Post by Jambo » Sat Nov 30, 2013 7:29 pm

Very strange. When I checked it a few days ago, it had the UK address there. No idea what's going on. Maybe they are in the middle of the transition and this is causing issues.

specy_99
United Kingdom

Post by specy_99 » Thu Dec 05, 2013 11:09 am

I have been told now that we still need to send the application to BHC New Delhi and they will send the documents to UK to be processed!

Shambles I say!

maddyinlon

Post by maddyinlon » Thu Dec 05, 2013 6:30 pm

Hi Rivercam, Specy_99

I can understand how frustrating it is for both of you....
I am going to apply soon for British Passport for my baby as well from India.
Hope BHC knows what they are doing..

Have you guys thought about bringing Child back to UK using visitor visa and apply for british passport here? If it is possible, that would be so easy..