ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

B.O.C. baby ?

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

ben_scaro

B.O.C. baby ?

Post by ben_scaro » Tue Nov 26, 2013 12:32 pm

hello

long time between visits and i am a bit out of touch with the citizenship area generally.

a situation has arisen recently and i would appreciate comments.

two ex-malaysian BOCs have a baby born in the UK after they both handed back malaysian nationality under advice from their solicitor.

what is the nationality of the baby?

my understanding had been that CUKC/BOC nationality at least as far as malaysians go, was expected to last one generation after independence.

however i do not know if this is spelt out in primary legislation or the immigration rules. or if it is just what the UK government expected to happen.

a friend already asked malaysia high commission whether the baby can be registered as malaysian in such case.

unsurprisingly their understanding was that as the baby had no malaysian parent it could not be malaysian and had no connection to that country.

my presumption would be that as baby's parents were both BOC and nothing else, that it would also take BOC nationality on birth?

does this sound correct?

i would appreciate comments.

benjamin