ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Maiden name or Married name on Naturalisation application

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

Pusef
Newly Registered

Maiden name or Married name on Naturalisation application

Post by Pusef » Sun Nov 24, 2013 3:32 pm

Hello,
I got married in May. I've just decided to start changing my name. I'm booked to apply for my naturalisation in December via a NCS. However I am torn. I don't know if I should go ahead and put in my application in my new name bearing in mind my current passport is in my maiden name and I've only just changed my name with the HMRC & Council (that's all) or should I just apply using my maiden name?

The only reason I'm asking this question is reasons surrounding my biometric card. I'm travelling to my home country in April 2014 and tickets are already booked in my maiden name.

PLEASE HELP!!!

AShawna

Post by AShawna » Tue Nov 26, 2013 10:53 pm

Since you'd be making the name change eventually, you might just as well apply with your married name. Once you have your marriage certificate as proof of the change it should pose no problem.
...though it tarries, it shall surely come...

Brigid from Ireland
Member of Standing

Post by Brigid from Ireland » Wed Nov 27, 2013 11:42 pm

This is the cause of many problems with travel and bank accounts.

Whatever choice you make, it is important that you carry an original marriage certificate, because you will find that one document is in maiden name,and another is in married name and it causes confusion. The marriage certificate helps to solve the problem.

Some women in Ireland try to solve the problem by using both surnames.

She uses her surname first and then his is second. That becomes her new surname. So Mary Smith marries Mr Jones and becomes Mrs Smith Jones.
BL

Pusef
Newly Registered

Thank you fro a response

Post by Pusef » Thu Nov 28, 2013 3:57 am

[quote="AShawna"]Since you'd be making the name change eventually, you might just as well apply with your married name. Once you have your marriage certificate as proof of the change it should pose no problem.[/quote]

The reason why I asked is that I've seen that biometric requirements state that if you change your name or details you must inform the home office within 3 months or I can be fined £1000. In other words i don't want my application for citizenship denied just for the sake of a name change.

AShawna

Re: Thank you fro a response

Post by AShawna » Mon Dec 02, 2013 10:02 pm

Pusef wrote:
The reason why I asked is that I've seen that biometric requirements state that if you change your name or details you must inform the home office within 3 months or I can be fined £1000. In other words i don't want my application for citizenship denied just for the sake of a name change.
Home Office? £? Are we talking Irish system here or UK?
...though it tarries, it shall surely come...