ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

BRP name change question

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

usapplicant1
Newly Registered

BRP name change question

Post by usapplicant1 » Fri Nov 29, 2013 10:38 am

I just got my ILR and BRP on my birth name. I am recently married but my passport expires in spring 2014 so I am planning to get a married name put on my new passport. My visa was expiring ahead of the passport renewal so I was advised to go for ILR first and deal with the name change down the line.

I am unsure as to how long it actually takes to get a replacement, but I see online that I have to submit both my new passport and old BRP. I travel often for work so that would be a huge inconvenience.

However I have a friend who is on a spouse visa, her visa is in her maiden name but her new passport is in her married name, and she says she just also carries around her expired passport and shows it to the officer at the airport. Claims she's never had a problem with that.

So the two questions are:

1) how long does it take to get a new BRP in the case of name change and is there any way to expedite it and/or travel without it while waiting?

2) is my friend breaking the rules with what she is doing? If so why has UKBA not done anything about it? She is a frequent traveller.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: BRP name change question

Post by CR001 » Fri Nov 29, 2013 10:44 am

usapplicant1 wrote:So the two questions are:

1) how long does it take to get a new BRP in the case of name change and is there any way to expedite it and/or travel without it while waiting?

2) is my friend breaking the rules with what she is doing? If so why has UKBA not done anything about it? She is a frequent traveller.
Read the link below

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/sitec ... pplication

It can take a couple of weeks or up to a few months and you have to send passport and BRP so there will be no way for you to travel while waiting. There is no way to expedite it.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

usapplicant1
Newly Registered

Post by usapplicant1 » Fri Nov 29, 2013 10:49 am

This seems totally discriminatory against women who I imagine make up the largest number of people requesting a name change.

It will take my government 4 weeks to issue the new passport, then I may have another few months to get my name changed?

Is anyone aware of what my friend says working? I know on a US passport it's possible to get a second name "also known as", if I request to have that in my maiden name then the BRP technically should still be valid?