ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Parental kidnapping question

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

johnnyalpha8
Newly Registered

Parental kidnapping question

Post by johnnyalpha8 » Sun Dec 01, 2013 1:29 am

I am a British citizen, and have a three year old son with my wife who is from a non-hague convention country. We have been having some relationship problems, and I'd like to know what would happen if she tried to remove our son from the country. My son has a British passport and a Japanese passport.

Being from a non-hague convention country, would immigration automatically stop her? And if so, would stopping her depend on whether her ticket was only one-way?

I hope that we can resolve our differences amicably, but life is life, so I'd really appreciate your answer and feedback to my question.

Thanks in advance,

Bill

Amber
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by Amber » Sun Dec 01, 2013 5:13 am

If you're genuinely concerned you need to seek legal advice to see if an injunction or something similar could be put in place.
**this forum is not intended to be a substitute for professional advice**
Click here to send me a PM regarding an offensive post. Do NOT PM me for immigration advice.

johnnyalpha8
Newly Registered

Post by johnnyalpha8 » Sun Dec 01, 2013 12:19 pm

My level of concern is not high enough to consult with a legal adviser who would have a 'duty to act' and may inform the authorities. Of course, if my level of concern increases, I'll have to do just that.

For the moment, my level of concern is just enough to field the issue on a forum like this one. My purpose is piece of mind for myself, and to gather information to forewarn my wife should she ever attampt such a thing

I am aware of injunctions, or rather the 'emergency blocking order'. I understand that the blocking order must be applied for. It is not execued automatically simply if one parent takes the child out of the country. At least that is the case with hague convention countries.

But what would happen if a foriegn parent (as in my case) tries to remove the child with a one-way ticket to a non-hague convention country, would immigration stop them automatically without a blocking order?

If anybody knows, I'd appreciate some info. Or alernatively, does anybody know of any free anonymous legal advise services?

My situation is not critical or anything, I am just fielding for information for piece of mind and information.

PaperPusher
Respected Guru

Post by PaperPusher » Sun Dec 01, 2013 4:15 pm

There are not exit checks all the time at airports, so even if it was policy to investigate the circumstances of every child travelling out of the UK (it isn't in any case as far as I am aware), if you are actually worried you may want to think about what you want to do.

http://www.reunite.org/pages/prevention.asp

johnnyalpha8
Newly Registered

Post by johnnyalpha8 » Sun Dec 01, 2013 11:11 pm

Thanks for the info, very useful.