ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

UK Spouse Visa - Job in Dubai

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

alia84
Newly Registered

UK Spouse Visa - Job in Dubai

Post by alia84 » Tue Dec 03, 2013 8:32 am

Dear All,

I would really appreciate your advice/thoughts on the following. I have been offered a job in Dubai but would like to know where my wife stands and when she can join me as she is currently on a UK spouse visa.

I’m a UK national born in Dundee and my wife (an Iranian) was granted a two year UK spouse visa in May 2012. I understand that 28 days prior to May 2014 she can apply for a ILR and then she will have to wait another year (May 2015) before applying for citizenship.

Does this mean that she will not be able to join me in Dubai until May 2015?

Thanks

Ayyubi72
- thin ice -

Post by Ayyubi72 » Tue Dec 03, 2013 5:37 pm

She can join you in Dubai anytime you want. UK spouse visa or ILR does not stop anyone leaving UK.

mego_1980

Post by mego_1980 » Tue Dec 03, 2013 5:51 pm

Ayyubi72 wrote:She can join you in Dubai anytime you want. UK spouse visa or ILR does not stop anyone leaving UK.
But you need to be aware of the 90 days absence in the third year before Naturalization.

Casa
United Kingdom

Post by Casa » Tue Dec 03, 2013 7:06 pm

Also she will lose her ILR if she is resident outside of the UK for more than 2 years.

vinny

More than 90 days absent in the last 12 months

Post by vinny » Mon Dec 09, 2013 12:52 pm

alia84 wrote:Dear All,

I have a concern/query regarding my wife’s spouse visa and her road to getting naturalisation. I am a UK born national and my wife is an Iranian national. I have been given the opportunity to work in Dubai for several years starting roughly in August 2014. I understand that my wife can apply for a ILR 28 days before her visa expires and that she needs to pass the Life in UK test as well as prove that she can speak and listen at B1 English level prior to applying.

Further, I understand that she would need to be in the UK for 3 years before applying for naturalisation and within this 3 years she cant be out of the UK for more than 270 days and not more than 90 days in the last 12 months of the three years.

The UK is where I was born, its my home and I fully intend to return back once my time in Dubai is over. However, my concern is that I don’t want to leave my wife all on her own whilst I am away. By the time I move she will be roughly 3 months into her ILR and she cant leave the UK for more than 90 days. If she was to join me for more than 90 days in Dubai would it hinder her chances of getting naturalisation, say for example for only 180 days (6 months)?

My wife’s background information:

Visa Type – Spouse Visa
Issue Date – 26th June 2012 (old rule applies)
Expiry Date – 26th June 2014

Date we intend to apply for ILR – 26th May 2014
Date we intend to apply for naturalisation – 26th June 2015
Current number of days out of the UK – Approx 70 days

Many thanks for your time and help on this matter.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

alia84
Newly Registered

Post by alia84 » Mon Dec 09, 2013 1:31 pm

Dear All,

Many thanks for your replies. I feel i didnt give enough information in my original question, so please see below:

I have a concern/query regarding my wife’s spouse visa and her road to getting naturalisation. I am a UK born national and my wife is an Iranian national. I have been given the opportunity to work in Dubai for several years starting roughly in August 2014. I understand that my wife can apply for a ILR 28 days before her visa expires and that she needs to pass the Life in UK test as well as prove that she can speak and listen at B1 English level prior to applying.

Further, I understand that she would need to be in the UK for 3 years before applying for naturalisation and within this 3 years she cant be out of the UK for more than 270 days and not more than 90 days in the last 12 months of the three years.

The UK is where I was born, its my home and I fully intend to return back once my time in Dubai is over. However, my concern is that I don’t want to leave my wife all on her own whilst I am away. By the time I move she will be roughly 3 months into her ILR and she cant leave the UK for more than 90 days. If she was to join me for more than 90 days in Dubai would it hinder her chances of getting naturalisation, say for example for only 180 days (6 months)?

My wife’s background information:

Visa Type – Spouse Visa
Issue Date – 26th June 2012 (old rule applies)
Expiry Date – 26th June 2014

Date we intend to apply for ILR – 26th May 2014
Date we intend to apply for naturalisation – 26th June 2015
Current number of days out of the UK – Approx 70 days

Many thanks for your time and help on this matter.

alia84
Newly Registered

Post by alia84 » Mon Dec 09, 2013 3:57 pm

Response from my query above, but doesnt really answer my question...:

Dear Mr Amjadi

Thank you for your enquiry regarding your wifes route to British citizenship.

The spouse or civil partner of a British citizen may be granted naturalisation as a British citizen under section 6(2) of the British Nationality Act 1981 if, on the date of application, they:

• are of full age (i.e. aged 18 or more); and

• are of full capacity; and

• are married to/in a civil partnership with a British citizen; and

• meet the residence requirements set out below; and, at the time of consideration:
a. is of good character; and

b. remains of full capacity; and

c. has a sufficient knowledge of the Language and Life in the UK and can provide the appropriate evidence to support this.

The residence requirements referred to above are that the applicant:
a. was in the UK at the beginning of the period of 3 years ending with the date of the application; and

b. was not absent from the UK for more than 270 days in that 3 year period; and

c. was not absent from the UK for more than 90 days in the period of 12 months ending with the date of the application; and

d. was not, on the date of the application, subject under the immigration laws to any restriction on the period of stay in the UK; and

e. was not, at any time in the period of 3 years ending with the date of the application, in the UK in breach of the immigration laws.

You state that your wife wishes to apply for naturalisation in June 2015. Based on this information, her 3 year residential qualifying period would be from June 2012 – June 2015. In accordance with the requirements listed above, she should not have had more than 270 days absences from the UK during these 3 years and should not have had more than 90 days absences from the UK in the final 12 months of her residential qualifying period (i.e. between June 2014 – June 2015).

The Secretary of State does have the discretion to overlook absences from the UK in excess of these limits in limited circumstances. Further details can be found in Chapter 18 Annex B paragraph 5 of the Nationality Staff Instructions available on our website at:

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/sitec ... chapter18/

Before making an application your wife should satisfy herself that she can meet these requirements. The fee for an unsuccessful application will be retained to cover the cost of considering the application.

Regards
Mrs C Richards
Nationality Policy Advisor | Operational Policy & Rules Unit

Ayyubi72
- thin ice -

Post by Ayyubi72 » Mon Dec 09, 2013 8:32 pm

They have replied accurately about what is the requirement of naturalisation.

An applicant must meet all the requirements, including residence and absence. There can be no leeway granted to you just because you have decided to work in Dubai.

The rules and requirements are there, and in the end it is your headache as to how you work your life around meeting the rules and requirement.

vinny

Post by vinny » Tue Dec 10, 2013 3:57 am

alia84 wrote:If she was to join me for more than 90 days in Dubai would it hinder her chances of getting naturalisation, say for example for only 180 days (6 months)?
If her absences are beyond the allowable periods, then, of course, this would hinder her chances.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

hirahussain
Newly Registered

Similar Question

Post by hirahussain » Wed Dec 25, 2013 1:39 am

Hello Everyone. Any help with this query would be much appreciated. I have a similar question.

I recently got my ILR and am in my 2nd year in the UK. I'm meant to apply for Naturalisation in July 2014. My Husband has to move to Dubai for work. We've decided that I'll stay back and he will join me at the time of my application with his Passport. My question is if that's ok for me to live her by myself and if that would not cause an issue with my Naturalisation process and if they would mind not having my Husband in the UK.

Thanks