ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

How to integrate / assimilate into Ireland and Irish society

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

Kinto

How to integrate / assimilate into Ireland and Irish society

Post by Kinto » Mon Dec 02, 2013 9:49 pm

Hi

Many of us will become Irish soon. Let's share tips into how we can integrate / assimilate into our new country. I'll start:

English lessons. Accent reduction lessons. My accent really stands out when I talk and people can immediately tell I'm not a local. I'd like to do some accent reduction lessons. Perhaps I'll find time next year. Recommendations appreciated!

Educate yourself on Irish history, laws and politics. Wikipedia is a good starting point:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Politics_o ... of_Ireland
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_Ireland

Read or watch Irish news every day.

Spend some time in the local pub. Great way to have fun and meet people.

If you're into sports, go to a rugby match.

Other ideas?

Brigid from Ireland
Member of Standing

Post by Brigid from Ireland » Mon Dec 02, 2013 11:14 pm

I think that integration is a good idea.

It depends a little on your position in life - if you have a baby you can join the 'mother and baby/toddler' groups in your local area, and this is a good way to integrate.

If you are single/childless/older choosing to do an evening (or daytime) class - a cheap one is sufficient - can be a good way to meet new people.

If you are interested in something - music, sport, reading, Irish history... - there are often groups who meet for a specific purpose such as reading/knitting... and you could join one of these.
BL

IntegratedMigrant
Diamond Member

Post by IntegratedMigrant » Tue Dec 03, 2013 7:23 pm

Language

Why in the world would you advice anyone to go to an Accent reduction lessons? That you dont have Irish accent has absolutely nothing to do with integration!.

People should instead be encouraged to be proud of where they come from and speak with their accents!.

I dont think you're aware, but Irish accent doesn't sound better abroad!, but then they should change or reduce their accent unless they feel the need!.

People as long as you're fluent in English, regardless your accent please speak it like there is no tomorrow!. Be proud of who you are and where you come from.
Last edited by IntegratedMigrant on Tue Dec 03, 2013 7:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I oppose stereotype, prejudice, xenophobe, judgmental, Ignorance, and beloved.

IntegratedMigrant
Diamond Member

Post by IntegratedMigrant » Tue Dec 03, 2013 7:26 pm

Pubs

People shouldn't be encouraged to go to pubs neither!. Pub is not the best way to meet people since it has a very bad side to it!.

Alcohol is a depressant!.

And most Muslims dont drink! nor like the idea of going to pubs!.

There are so many better ways of meeting people rather than pubs!

IntegratedMigrant
Diamond Member

Post by IntegratedMigrant » Tue Dec 03, 2013 7:30 pm

Sports

People shouldn't be encouraged to love rugby just because its the most popular sports in Ireland that Irish born people love!!!!!

People should be encouraged to do what they love!. So many naturalised Irish should bring so much more than just rugby. ie Football, Basket ball, variety of Sports in the Olympic games!!!!!!! etc

IntegratedMigrant
Diamond Member

Post by IntegratedMigrant » Tue Dec 03, 2013 7:32 pm

Finally

Irish born should also be encouraged to do all of the above mentioned to integrate with naturalised Irish citizens as it goes both ways.

Kinto

Post by Kinto » Tue Dec 03, 2013 9:08 pm

IntegratedMigrant, this forum is about immigration, not for preaching your religion. Calm down and go to a different thread if you don't like this one and can't offer anything constructive.

IntegratedMigrant
Diamond Member

Post by IntegratedMigrant » Tue Dec 03, 2013 9:34 pm

Kinto wrote:IntegratedMigrant, this forum is about immigration, not for preaching your religion. Calm down and go to a different thread if you don't like this one and can't offer anything constructive.
Says a lot about you and your so called integration advice!.

Firstly I dont know what religion you think I am, but I am in no way shape or form a Muslim of any kind. I simply know what integration means and how how it works. Not just trying to convert people with your tiny little mind how they should act like born Irish people or else they are not integrated. In my opinion it shows how you hate Islamic as a religion.

Secondly in the comments that I made which included Language, Sports and Finally, I dont see where I made any remarks about religion!. In Pubs comments I just stressed that Muslims don't drink because unlike you I respect people's religion and ways of life.

You should stop trying to shove your closed-minded ideas down people's throat!.

My advice is very very constructive and people reading this would clearly learn from it. You had nothing to say other than voice your concern about Islamic religion!.

PS: I am integratedMigrant, and you dare not tell me about Integration and Immigration!.

Kinto

Post by Kinto » Tue Dec 03, 2013 10:10 pm

Look, pubs are a big part of Irish culture. It's where people meet and socialize. To deny this is just absurd. To claim that we have to accommodate every religious group on the planet is beyond absurd. If you have something constructive to say, say it. If not, just go elsewhere please. I don't have time for this nonsense.

Also, knock it off with personal attacks.

IntegratedMigrant
Diamond Member

Post by IntegratedMigrant » Tue Dec 03, 2013 10:48 pm

Kinto wrote:Look, pubs are a big part of Irish culture. It's where people meet and socialize. To deny this is just absurd. To claim that we have to accommodate every religious group on the planet is beyond absurd. If you have something constructive to say, say it. If not, just go elsewhere please. I don't have time for this nonsense.

Also, knock it off with personal attacks.
Hear people!, if you dont drink which can lead to so many illnesses that I dont want to name and is a depressant, then you're not integrating with Irish people!. :roll:
People shouldn't be subjected to such nonsensical lifestyle simply because 'you think' its part of Irish culture!.

You're just oblivious to the fact that drinking is bad for your health!, and some religion like choose not to drink. All you care about is that they should all go to pub, waste their money, could get ill due to drinking and/or even become homeless, could lead to anti-social behaviour, could lead to depression and others!

Again voicing your concerns towards religion and I know you meant Islamic!. Village idi*t I call it.

Amber
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by Amber » Tue Dec 03, 2013 11:01 pm

Kinto was, I'm sure, only posting with the best of intentions. However, the hostility shown has rendered this thread pointless, so I'm locking it. Moreover, I would remind members to treat each other with respect. I also think you need to tone down your ego IntegratedMigrant.
**this forum is not intended to be a substitute for professional advice**
Click here to send me a PM regarding an offensive post. Do NOT PM me for immigration advice.